Author Topic: Where to find tenting risers?  (Read 9777 times)

Offline dantan

Where to find tenting risers?
« on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 10:49:56 »
I want to buy a mistel or a kinesis freestyle, and use them at 45 degrees. But I don't know where to find good keyboard risers. These should be stable and not make noises when I type. Since I can't make things on my own, are there people who sell the risers at a reasonable price?

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
Re: Where to find tenting risers?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:09:58 »
The first thing that came to mind was 3D printing your own or finding some that are already designed - http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=ergodox&sa=

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=keyboard+riser&sa=

Offline dantan

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:28:59 »
The first thing that came to mind was 3D printing your own or finding some that are already designed - http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=ergodox&sa=

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=keyboard+riser&sa=

That's really a nice website. Doesn't have what I need now (45 degrees), but certainly should come back again in future to see.

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:48:28 »
Describe the design and layout and sizing and I might be able to chuck a design together as tonight's project? :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Offline cribbit

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 14:49:06 »
Run to a hardware store and build one!
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 15:50:46 »
Freestyle2 Ascent Accessory? Mistel is a strange beast in regards to tenting iirc; for some reason they didn't think it necessary to add tripod mounts or screw holes (Matias Ergo Pro and Ultimate Hacking Keyboard)

Offline dantan

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 01:56:45 »
Describe the design and layout and sizing and I might be able to chuck a design together as tonight's project? :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Just to let others know, mechboards was nice enough to draw up a brief draft of the design and show it to me. Hope he gets the data done up in a way that we can use at the 3D printers'!

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 02:27:43 »
For others to see:

I'm at work today dantan but I'll smooth the edges and repost.

Offline dantan

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 06:12:22 »
For others to see:

Show Image

I think this design can accommodate almost all split kb as long as their leftmost and rightmost edges are straight. Then after putting the kb on, it would be a simple matter to use little feet or blockers to keep the board from moving away or towards the user. Now is there a 3D printing company, or acrylic making company, or metal fab company, that anyone can suggest?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:59:04 »
For others to see:

Show Image

This should work for most setups..

There are 2 deficits to this type of riser.

Because of the little shelf on the outside, you've raised the outer edge of the keyboard,  so if your hands were at a relaxed position, you now have to either lower the table or sit higher..

It's also only one axis, SOME split keyboards work better with of multi axis rotation towards the user..

A better design would be to cut out a rectangular piece of wood, then using long m3 bolts, 100mm 50mm,40mm,  as legs for the plate,

THEN you can either tape/ glue/  Magnetic strips the plate to your split keyboard.

--this solves the shelf problem, AND it would allow for multi axis tenting..

--That is why the ERGODOX is the PREMIERE split keyboard at the moment,  it's the only one that can accommodate HIGH ANGLE (55 degrees) multiaxis tenting without major modifications or the use of power drills.. hahahahaha

Offline cribbit

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:04:56 »
For others to see:

Show Image

This should work for most setups..

There are 2 deficits to this type of riser.

Because of the little shelf on the outside, you've raised the outer edge of the keyboard,  so if your hands were at a relaxed position, you now have to either lower the table or sit higher..

It's also only one axis, SOME split keyboards work better with of multi axis rotation towards the user..

A better design would be to cut out a rectangular piece of wood, then using long m3 bolts, 100mm 50mm,40mm,  as legs for the plate,

THEN you can either tape/ glue/  Magnetic strips the plate to your split keyboard.

--this solves the shelf problem, AND it would allow for multi axis tenting..

--That is why the ERGODOX is the PREMIERE split keyboard at the moment,  it's the only one that can accommodate HIGH ANGLE (55 degrees) multiaxis tenting without major modifications or the use of power drills.. hahahahaha

Ooooohh your first point gave me an interesting idea. A desk with panels in it that rotate for tenting keebs - because this would open the desk, you could slide the keeb "into" the desk so that your wrist height is whatever you want it to be.

I might make that out of panels actually, since with a cheap desk it's relatively easy to cut out a spot and bolt in a mod.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:13:25 »

Ooooohh your first point gave me an interesting idea. A desk with panels in it that rotate for tenting keebs - because this would open the desk, you could slide the keeb "into" the desk so that your wrist height is whatever you want it to be.

I might make that out of panels actually, since with a cheap desk it's relatively easy to cut out a spot and bolt in a mod.

There's a billion engineering solutions for EVERYTHING if you got the time for it. hahahaha

it's just easier to buy the ergodox , and be done with it..   Which is why Tp4 promotes it in the first place.. It works..

Offline cribbit

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:21:10 »

There's a billion engineering solutions for EVERYTHING if you got the time for it. hahahaha

it's just easier to buy the ergodox , and be done with it..   Which is why Tp4 promotes it in the first place.. It works..

I'm a huge proponent of the ergodox, I'm slowly converting a few of my co workers to it.

This would be for any split keyboard you want to tent.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 04:19:31 »
Have a look at the dox ez
Winter is coming.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 10:42:25 »

the issue with the dox ez, is that the tenting mechanism points inward at an angle, this consumes space between the two halves, which many people use for the mice..

So if you wanted a high tenting angle, it couldn't be done using the dox ez's solution, you'd still have to drill holes for your own bolts.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 11:17:15 »

the issue with the dox ez, is that the tenting mechanism points inward at an angle, this consumes space between the two halves, which many people use for the mice..

So if you wanted a high tenting angle, it couldn't be done using the dox ez's solution, you'd still have to drill holes for your own bolts.
Now that I got your attention: did you compared the dox with an Dactyl?  I am loving my dox with fullhand case so far, but I feel it could get improved.

looking into what you think of it
Winter is coming.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 11:27:32 »

Now that I got your attention: did you compared the dox with an Dactyl?  I am loving my dox with fullhand case so far, but I feel it could get improved.

looking into what you think of it

I think the inward shwoop shape is fundamentally the WRONG approach..

The keys are only closer to your fingers assuming you hands DO NOT MOVE..

That is simply not the case with any typing layout, be it qwerty , dvorak, etc,

I think the thumb button being closer will help some people,  but overall if the dox is tented properly at 55^ degrees and up, the thumb button shouldn't be an issue..

The further away thumb button only causes issue for people when the dox is flat,  requiring wrist rotation to press the key..  the further inward on a flat plane, the more wrist rotation is necessary to meet the key..

ANYWAY.. I think the dactyl is copying a feature that was not fully use-tested..  and not fully understood by the engineer who copied it..

He's assuming that it works because it's on a kinesis.. but he's never thought that hey, the kinesis is wrong..

From the photos I've seen online of dactyl, people also do not tent the  keyboard plane more than 30 degrees, so it seems novice users/owners are missing the mark on what makes a split keyboard better, THE TENTING,  just as much on the dactyl as the ergodox..

TENTING is all..   did I mention tenting.. yea tenting.. good stuff..

Offline Phenix

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 11:33:33 »
Thanks for your opinion. I bet you already did, but could you please share an pic of your dox (with tenting)?
I am at guessed 8cm  @insides.

btw: is there an easy way to check out different lengths? I had to chop each screw myself, as I couldnt get longer screws at my local store
Winter is coming.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 12:23:08 »
Thanks for your opinion. I bet you already did, but could you please share an pic of your dox (with tenting)?

btw: is there an easy way to check out different lengths? I had to chop each screw myself, as I couldnt get longer screws at my local store

Ergodox fotos are for Tp4 inner circle members only..

I got my screws on ebay.  I use 1x40mm + standoff (couples 2x m3 bolts together) + 1x 100mm

The 40mm you want to use regular steel,  the 100mm you want to use high tensile (more rigid)

the reason is, for the 40mm section , you can bend it so it fits perfectly under the ergodox without taking up any space in the middle..

If you want to try out different heights just put a tea cup under ur current screw.

Offline dantan

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 20:16:06 »

Ergodox fotos are for Tp4 inner circle members only..
  (Attachment Link)

I got my screws on ebay.  I use 1x40mm + standoff (couples 2x m3 bolts together) + 1x 100mm

The 40mm you want to use regular steel,  the 100mm you want to use high tensile (more rigid)

the reason is, for the 40mm section , you can bend it so it fits perfectly under the ergodox without taking up any space in the middle..

If you want to try out different heights just put a tea cup under ur current screw.

Funny how TP posts so much but never his own keyboard. It can't be a privacy reason, can it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 05:44:31 »

Funny how TP posts so much but never his own keyboard. It can't be a privacy reason, can it?

There are many theories floating about..