Author Topic: How to revive clicky sound in old cherry MX blue switches  (Read 2810 times)

Offline kb5674

How to revive clicky sound in old cherry MX blue switches
« on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 06:25:19 »
Hi, i salvaged some cherry MX blue switches from a very old keyboard, but the keys are not clicky anymore (they do activate and work perfectly). Do you guys have any advice on how to make them sound clicky again?

Offline Rayndalf

Re: How to revive clicky sound in old cherry MX blue switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 14:15:14 »
I've noticed something similar. My suspicion is that the click mechanism requires a firmer actuation leaf, so swapping the stems into new housings would probably fix it. The more 'worn out' housing could then be used with linear stems and would be smoother than with newer housings (just pick up some Cherry or Gateron linears and swap springs and stems, with a bit of lube you'd get two better sets of switches)

Offline kb5674

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 03:13:31 »
Al right, so my experiment failed, its very hard to actually get switches in my country, I'll have to import them from china, hence my attempt to use the keys from a old keyboard.

So, will order some Gateron reds from kbdfans then, or do you know any other source where i can get a nicer deal, am looking to buy at least 400 switches, thanks!

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:31:15 »
Why do you need so many switches? How about ebay?