Author Topic: What gripes do you have about the keyboard industry?  (Read 11434 times)

Offline 10centNickle

What gripes do you have about the keyboard industry?
« on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:16:55 »
As we all know, Drop, formerly Massdrop, has a unique business model that allows for manufacturers to score customers and for customers to get goods at a discount price.  Drop's business model is one that circumvents the eternal process of out-of-stock items.  What gripes do you have about buying keyboards, and how would you like it addressed (e.g. group buys taking too long to ship, aftermarket prices too high, etc.)?

Offline yui

Re: What gripes do you have about the keyboard industry?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 04:16:34 »
2 biggest gripes are some of the anti innovation bull**** some peoples pull on a very regular basis and the fact that some seller ship via Fedex without saying, and so i end up having to go fetch it 75km away from were i live because Fedex is not willing to ship to my address, although still also add 50 euros of import duty + actual import duty to everything (last time it happened i had 51.40 euros to pay, 1.4 of actual import duties and 50 of Fedex, and the package was damaged and did not arrive on time or at my address)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Rebrean

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 05:16:08 »
Yeah, that's very frustrating, indeed.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 11:20:38 »
My biggest gripe is the insistence of custom keyboard makers to keep coming out with alternate layouts for which there are very few (custom) keycap sets that match. If your layout forces people to use blanks, flat uniform profiles, or keycaps with the wrong row profile in certain positions, then you've failed.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 12:32:30 »
Not sure if its a gripe, but hobby has grown a lot in the pass year, but manufacturers have not been able to upgrade to keep up with demand now that almost every large keycap manu is backed up for months

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 12:39:21 »
Manufacturers of other products that are made overseas—chess sets, for example—have managed to secure contracts for worldwide free shipping, I wonder why venues like Drop, that sell items in the hundreds cannot do the same.

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 22:31:38 »
Vendors who keep products on their web site, but are constantly out of stock and no plans to restock.    Don't make me scroll through 15 pages of out of stock products in your “shop”.   Its like they want to show off their past group buys for the cool factor.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 22:56:21 »
Vendors who keep products on their web site, but are constantly out of stock and no plans to restock.    Don't make me scroll through 15 pages of out of stock products in your “shop”.   Its like they want to show off their past group buys for the cool factor.
I guess that would be part of it, I don't much like it either, but I get it for archival purposes and that people can see old product listings for whatever they need, color codes, prices, options etc.

Offline Learis

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 23:49:30 »
Too much key, not enough board.
Mend and Defend

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 00:40:55 »
some of the anti innovation bull**** some peoples pull on a very regular basis
They are not innovative, they are iterative.

Keyboards peaked in the 80's and have only been iterative changes ever since, so little in fact that you can still use keyboards from the 80's without any real drawbacks.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 04:12:14 »
Is this having a go at Drop?

My last couple of drops have shipped via Germany, for some reason (going from the US to Australia).  That's fine, except it introduces an additional 2 or 3 weeks delay.

Otherwise in general there are far too many choices these days.  It's too hard to keep up.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 15:26:19 »
The lack of info and the focus on hype, colorways and sound tests. 
Interested in a non-super-popular switch? prepare to dive into the internet to find any info, since chances are you'll only find sound tests of it, and very little info from people who can't manage to describe switch feeling                                                   

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 07:32:56 »
Yes, much discussion is centered around a few popular switches. Good luck finding info about more 'obscure' switches in current production. Imagine if you like light tactiles, and want information about Everglide Jade Green, KTT Matcha, RARA V2, TTC switches, and so on.

There's also a huge focus on 'thock,' as if that's a universal property to be sought in a keyboard.

Lots of reviews lately where you can hear ping and scratch and high-pitched noises when they do decide to do a sound test, and the reviewer will say something like "they sound great to me, and are my new favourite tactile. But I won't be typing on it since I type on hyperglide Blacks." You had shifty reviewers doing this with recent TKC and JWK tactiles like Dragonfruit and Pewter.

[In fact, trying to get objective information about tactiles is difficult. Lots more to measure than with linears.]

New colourways are almost useless. Want to see innovation in tactile stems, at the very least, and more attention to leaf and spring quality. New-production housings that still need filming in mid-2021. Lack of plate options in custom kits.

GMK sets priced at like 500 sales when you know they are going to get 2000-3000. Accent kits that cost $50-80 or more.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 07:55:26 »
I'll have a go, why not:)

- production times - waiting a year or so for a keycaps set to be produced; GMK takes takes over a year even with this new prod line they installed this year (WTF), KAT - taking ages, issue, changes in production etc; nobody else is picking it up; why there's only few good manufacturers of caps (PMK and GMK in first positions)
- items not in stock - only GBs a real source of stuff - you miss it - you lose it, best scenario you will wait for second round in few years
- repeatable keycaps color schemes - they keep coming in similar color schemes, nothing really new or bigger difference - for example so many brighter alphas-dark mods sets, not the other way around
- no much improvements in mechanics - keyboard mounting styles - we've had gasket mount for years - but most of them are not proper gasket mounts; I have a feeling like keyboards don't evolve
- no new switches, we're riding MX to death, old school stuff left to die, nothing new on horizon? (skipping opticals)
- why do we have to mod everything? Why not sell actual ready product that has all what we do when modding our keyboards/switches? It all should be done during production, at least all those things that are a must, not preference.
- aftermarket prices - few days ago I paid $300 (including customs + vat) for CRP caps TKL size set, f*** hell...
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 July 2021, 03:26:32 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 08:02:18 »
Most tactiles are still based on Holy Panda and T1 designs, and that includes Bobas, AKKO Ocean Blue, and so on. Still hard to find people innovating based on the Brown and Clear stem. Even Durock's new tactiles seem to scaled-down T1s! No pre-travel.

On the plus side, there seems to be a movement towards good, affordable keyboards as seen in the KBD67 Lite and other Lite variants, IKKI68 Aurora, all started by boards like the NK65. Often, they have different case and plate options, even PCB options, so that you can actually make a good keyboard from affordable parts. Now if we can only get a KBD8X Lite...

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 08:11:00 »
Most tactiles are still based on Holy Panda and T1 designs, and that includes Bobas, AKKO Ocean Blue, and so on. Still hard to find people innovating based on the Brown and Clear stem. Even Durock's new tactiles seem to scaled-down T1s! No pre-travel.

On the plus side, there seems to be a movement towards good, affordable keyboards as seen in the KBD67 Lite and other Lite variants, IKKI68 Aurora, all started by boards like the NK65. Often, they have different case and plate options, even PCB options, so that you can actually make a good keyboard from affordable parts. Now if we can only get a KBD8X Lite...

Yeah, I would love to get smoky transparent pc TKL keeb in style of 67 lite.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 08:23:05 »
I don't like to belabour a point, but that's exactly what KBDFans should develop next.

Offline yui

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 02:13:05 »
The lack of info and the focus on hype, colorways and sound tests. 
Interested in a non-super-popular switch? prepare to dive into the internet to find any info, since chances are you'll only find sound tests of it, and very little info from people who can't manage to describe switch feeling                                                   
we should send more switches to Chyros, he only knows how to describe them impartially (joking, pretty sure others do too, just he got the best word choices :))

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 14:26:19 »
Send him some recolours of Gateron Brown, like Gateron Orange. [Factory Lubed, for additional pleasure.]

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 18:43:53 »
Yes, much discussion is centered around a few popular switches. Good luck finding info about more 'obscure' switches in current production. Imagine if you like light tactiles, and want information about Everglide Jade Green, KTT Matcha, RARA V2, TTC switches, and so on.

There's also a huge focus on 'thock,' as if that's a universal property to be sought in a keyboard.

Lots of reviews lately where you can hear ping and scratch and high-pitched noises when they do decide to do a sound test, and the reviewer will say something like "they sound great to me, and are my new favourite tactile. But I won't be typing on it since I type on hyperglide Blacks." You had shifty reviewers doing this with recent TKC and JWK tactiles like Dragonfruit and Pewter.

[In fact, trying to get objective information about tactiles is difficult. Lots more to measure than with linears.]

New colourways are almost useless. Want to see innovation in tactile stems, at the very least, and more attention to leaf and spring quality. New-production housings that still need filming in mid-2021. Lack of plate options in custom kits.

GMK sets priced at like 500 sales when you know they are going to get 2000-3000. Accent kits that cost $50-80 or more.
Couldn't agree more with your comment, I'm interested in getting the new Lavender switch from Akko which seems like a heavier Ocean Blue so I've checked Ocean Blue to see reviews, almost zero info altough the switch is out for quite a bit of time, but million sound tests.
A lot of people mistake echo for thock, as I see it, thock is low pitched bottom out of a switch, not a super hollow case that resonates the bottom out of your very lubed switch.

People really have a hard time to describe switch feel, it's not easy but saying sharp or rounded tactility or "between MX brown and Zealios V2", is pretty broad, people can compare them to other tactiles at the very least, I personally have a bit of switch sample collection and always hope for a switch omparison..

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 08:34:46 »
Yeah, there seems to be a lack of experience in the 'keyboard community' with the term 'thock.'

Because it could mean a muffled but deep sound, a potentially rich sound, associated with some silenced EC or dampened MX boards. Or not even muffled, just deep and thocky, maybe clacky. But yes, a lot of people seem to think that the echo in a board or reverberation is 'thock.'

This allows manufacturers to build simple long-pole switches, and people put them in a cheap hollow-sounding board, and suddenly they have 'thock.' But this in my view is not an example of good manufacturing.

[Also, people just lube everything with 205g0 including light tactiles, including the legs, so they get a low-pitched sound. Everything sacrificed to it.]

And yeah, the lack of multiple reviews to look at for less-common switches is irksome. I found some SP Star switches that I liked, such as Nana and Meteor Orange. It was difficult finding info on a Brown-like light tactile like Meteor Orange, you have to trawl through tiny threads in forums. You just have to buy samples of all the switches for yourself. And yes, there are sound tests, but that doesn't tell me much about the operating characteristics of the switch.

The solution seems to be to buy from those people who sell sample packs, you can get these 'obscure' switches sent right to you.

It was helpful when Gazzew employed terms such as "p-shaped," "P-shaped," and "D-shaped" bump. People need to talk about pre-travel, bump size and resistance, and post-travel. Strength of tactile leaf. Type of spring, etc...

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 19:34:56 »
Yeah, there seems to be a lack of experience in the 'keyboard community' with the term 'thock.'

Because it could mean a muffled but deep sound, a potentially rich sound, associated with some silenced EC or dampened MX boards. Or not even muffled, just deep and thocky, maybe clacky. But yes, a lot of people seem to think that the echo in a board or reverberation is 'thock.'

This allows manufacturers to build simple long-pole switches, and people put them in a cheap hollow-sounding board, and suddenly they have 'thock.' But this in my view is not an example of good manufacturing.

[Also, people just lube everything with 205g0 including light tactiles, including the legs, so they get a low-pitched sound. Everything sacrificed to it.]

And yeah, the lack of multiple reviews to look at for less-common switches is irksome. I found some SP Star switches that I liked, such as Nana and Meteor Orange. It was difficult finding info on a Brown-like light tactile like Meteor Orange, you have to trawl through tiny threads in forums. You just have to buy samples of all the switches for yourself. And yes, there are sound tests, but that doesn't tell me much about the operating characteristics of the switch.

The solution seems to be to buy from those people who sell sample packs, you can get these 'obscure' switches sent right to you.

It was helpful when Gazzew employed terms such as "p-shaped," "P-shaped," and "D-shaped" bump. People need to talk about pre-travel, bump size and resistance, and post-travel. Strength of tactile leaf. Type of spring, etc...
I've found AliExpress to be a great source for switches, aside for the low prices and switch sample packs, often big stores will comply and include a switch sample if you'll ask, I've got plenty of switch samples to get a gripe about the big variety of switch types, materials and styles (such as long pole switches).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 22:27:15 »
there seems to be a lack of experience in the 'keyboard community'

Fixed that for you.
It's a problem because the buy in cost is high, you can't easily get 80 identical keyboards other than switches to test them all.

This is a hobby, unless you build them for people your actual experience is always going to be narrow. Same thing happens with buying cars and computers, most people really have no idea what brands and models are reliable or a good deal, they go by popularity or what their parents/friends did. Ask a mechanic or computer tech and you will get an earful, some will contradict each other but you can get a general consensus pretty fast.

As for reviewers, yes they have experience, but the experience is personal and worse, Youtube and such NEVER replicates sound properly. People would be amazed just how much the sound gets altered by electronics, on their end and yours. While many try and tune for color, we never seem to really tune anything for audio and just take it for granted other than volume and many can't even get that consistent.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 23:40:58 »
The whole concept that creating tactility through small alterations in the slider/housing shape is a good idea.  It isn't, it's a terrible idea.  Can we get some actual innovation?

Kailh's clickbars were a breath of fresh air since they were something actually new for clicky switches, but there's been nothing like that for tactiles.

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 00:42:46 »
QMK is pretty miserable for anyone not versed in Python (which is an extremely large percentage of all keyboard users).

Want your rotary encoder to work? You can't use the QMK configurator.
Want to do basic macros?  Want to launch an app other than the windows calculator with a keystroke? Want to map special characters like a section sign (§) to a key? Good f'n luck.

If I'm a keyboard maker, and QMK is only usable by a small fraction of my customers, then it's not really worth it to add QMK support.

Offline yui

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 00:58:55 »
isn't QMK code in C? likely a bit harder than python even but also with a much larger user base, and that would be nice if via had better macro support yeah and any support for encoders

Offline phinix

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 03:08:59 »
Don't get me started on QMK/VIA - I wanted to have a simple £ sign in macro on ANSI keyboard - there is NO WAY to do that in either QMK or VIA.

Imagine all those foreign users that miss special characters on their ANSI keyboard and cannot add them...

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 09:40:47 »
Don't get me started on QMK/VIA - I wanted to have a simple £ sign in macro on ANSI keyboard - there is NO WAY to do that in either QMK or VIA.

There isn't?

Imagine all those foreign users that miss special characters on their ANSI keyboard and cannot add them...

Well they don't have to go ANSI...

Basically the 2nd link describes how different language options used to work.  It's not a QMK thing, it's a limitation of older OS and keyboard protocols.  Basically depending on your OS language settings the same keycodes are mapped to different characters.

Today we have unicode but it's still a relatively modern creation (compared to keyboards anyway).  If you want to have an otherwise ANSI keyboard with a few special character options then unicode would be the way to do it.  Yes unicode can get complicated but it's extremely powerful.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 12:01:26 »
The whole concept that creating tactility through small alterations in the slider/housing shape is a good idea.  It isn't, it's a terrible idea.  Can we get some actual innovation?

Kailh's clickbars were a breath of fresh air since they were something actually new for clicky switches, but there's been nothing like that for tactiles.

I guess we're all waiting on the mythical 3-in-1 ALPS-like switch from Zeal.

Seriously, we need more manufacturers to do what Kailh did with the BOX design. You can build non-Cherry mechanisms in MX-compatible housings.

Offline phinix

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 12:33:52 »

There isn't?

Well they don't have to go ANSI...

Basically the 2nd link describes how different language options used to work.  It's not a QMK thing, it's a limitation of older OS and keyboard protocols.  Basically depending on your OS language settings the same keycodes are mapped to different characters.

Today we have unicode but it's still a relatively modern creation (compared to keyboards anyway).  If you want to have an otherwise ANSI keyboard with a few special character options then unicode would be the way to do it.  Yes unicode can get complicated but it's extremely powerful.

Nope, nothing there, first link doesn't work.
Show me QMK code for £ sign and I'll buy you a beer :D

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 12:57:22 »
Could do a macro based on the character map... (alt + 0163). Not very elegant.

Offline phinix

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 14:43:17 »

OK and how to do that?

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 20:28:39 »

OK and how to do that?
I don't doubt one of the programming guys on a site called "geekhack" could help you with this. I'm really a beginner at QMK but I've watched a bunch of youtube videos the last few days. This Chokkan guy has some good videos. You'll probably have to watch more than just one video. I've had very limited success (but it's doable by people who know how to do it).

Here's a brief video about macros:

Offline 10centNickle

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 21:44:51 »
Ok lets switch it up: What do you want to see from manufacturers?

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 08:21:11 »
More keycaps that aren’t Cherry or OEM. (Especially KAT, is very nice to type on)
Better clicky switches (think blue alps, Kailh has no competition right now).
More full size custom boards
Mirrored 10-key with enter key on left side for left handed typist.
More thought about other input devices (mice)
More VIA/VIAL compatibility.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 09:10:49 »
-Yeah, more full-size. And a KBD8X Lite that is as good and affordable as the KBD67 Lite. [Not the same price, obviously.]

-Serious investment into light tactiles. That means research into ergonomic stems with good pre-travel and ramp-up, post travel. Attention to leafs, so they provide some tactility and don't ping. Lubed, high-quality springs. Tight housings.

-Alternate methods of providing clickiness and tactility, such as ALPS-like leafs and other alternatives.

-Stores that provide custom plates in POM or polycarbonate that just need a plate file to operate.

-Keyboard GBs are connected to custom plate shops so you can get the plates even if the GB doesn't manufacture them.

-Reviews that actually focus on the relevant operational characteristics of the switch, not just typing sound.

-GBs for affordable accent kits for popular colourways [9009, Honeywell, Muted, etc...], maybe all-in-one.

-Bring back (deliberately) the colour-matching mishap sets that created fun products anyway, like Necro.

-Greater access to Progressive springs.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 09:24:28 »
-Also, can we get reasonable keycap trays available in-stock at several retailers? For Cherry/OEM-sized, and others for high-profile keycaps?

Offline yui

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:54:54 »
More keycaps that aren’t Cherry or OEM. (Especially KAT, is very nice to type on)
Better clicky switches (think blue alps, Kailh has no competition right now).
More full size custom boards
Mirrored 10-key with enter key on left side for left handed typist.
More thought about other input devices (mice)
More VIA/VIAL compatibility.
i agree with pretty much all but even though using my pc left handed i do not see the benefit of left handed keyboard, and i'd love to see alps keyset, would be nice to put more colorful caps on my focus boards, and maybe have the right layout on it too. and i would love to see more trackball integrated in keyboards, it is rather nice, makes the mouse to typing delay shorter.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 13:52:10 »
I'll add another one, that Kailh is the innovative brand that we need but don't deserve, it truley is underrated to have this brand in the days when it's all about hype, colorways and soundtests.
They continuously come up with new switch designs and ideas, they aren't always successful but always uniqe and serve purpose, the hotswap sockets, BOX switches, the clickbar, Kailh's housing (no need for film), POM switches, switches that don't interfere with Cherry profile keycaps on north facing board, many alterations of the switches for every preference, etc.

And the most recent idea I've seen that I'm really looking forward to, muted Jades.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 23:22:16 »
Yeah, Kailh gets a lot of flack, some of it well-deserved. But seeing them as a '2018 brand' as they are in some quarters is unfair.

They have hits and misses, but at least they are trying. Certain manufacturers [ahem Gateron, Durock] like to print dozens of colours of the same switch as if it's something special. Have they innovated a new click mechanism?

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, at least Kailh takes shots.

Offline yui

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 00:44:31 »
Took Cherry longer than Gateron to innovate, gat got the yellow weighing and silent for most of their non clicky switches. although yes Kailh is the crazy scientist compared to all the others

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 09:12:22 »
This thread reminded me that there had been another manufacturer than Cherry or Kailh that made yet another clicky switch mechanism, but I couldn't remember the brand ...

When searching for it, I stumbled over yet another example of Cherry falling behind:
Cooler Master is going from using Cherry MX Low Profile to using clones from TTC. TTC makes clicky and tactile variants while Cherry only makes boring linears.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 21:25:29 »
Took Cherry longer than Gateron to innovate,
That's because they didn't need to, they had a near monopoly up till that point.

They didn't have to do anything.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline jamster

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 21:41:21 »
Manufacturers of other products that are made overseas—chess sets, for example—have managed to secure contracts for worldwide free shipping, I wonder why venues like Drop, that sell items in the hundreds cannot do the same.

Isn't this something to do with global postal agreements, and China being classed as some sort of 'developing nation' and entitled to some kind of massively subsidised shipping arrangement?

On the other hand, Drop has their production shipped en masse in a container to somewhere in the US where it's inspected then broken up into Fedex/UPS.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 21:53:44 »
Isn't this something to do with global postal agreements, and China being classed as some sort of 'developing nation' and entitled to some kind of massively subsidised shipping arrangement?
This.
They're working to change that.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 16 July 2021, 07:41:49 »
And over here in Sweden the postal service's mitigation against the masses of Chinese packages have resulted in all small packages from outside the EU being held a while and slapped with taxes and fees.
Solutions have been set up and are in the works for making larger organisations do taxation at their end and thus lowering the hassle, delays and fees for the consumers — but only when buying from them.
The time when it was feasible for me to order specific enthusiast-stuff from small businesses in the US are over.

Offline tiltowait

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 21:25:23 »

OK and how to do that?

QMK is hardly user-friendly, but it's definitely doable.

https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/using-qmk/advanced-keycodes/feature_macros

You'll need a SEND_STRING("£");

If you're on a Mac, it's markedly easier since you don't need to deal with macros at all and can, in fact, configure it in the online configurator. Just need A(KC_3) on a key.

Offline Volny

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 17:25:59 »
My biggest gripe is with the sheer lack of diversity. The focus is so heavy on aesthetics that functionality seems continually minimised. You can have absolutely any type of keyboard you want, as long as it's small. Occasionally a full-size keyboard or DIY kit will show up somewhere, but then it's just a bog-standard full-size layout. While unorthodox and innovative layouts abound in the smaller form factors, almost no one seems to try and innovate or improve upon the full-size layout (let alone expand on it).

I can't easily think of another industry where the enthusiasts are so heavily grouped on a single, lighter side of the spectrum. Most people own a run-of-the-mill bike. Then on one side you get expensive, ultra-light road racing bikes that have been stripped of mudguards, kickstands, or even gears or brakes. On the other side you get expensive mountain bikes with extra tread, extra suspension, extra heft. On another side you get commuter bikes with panniers and rear-view mirrors or child wagons, or tandems, etc. The layperson's bike sits somewhere in the middle of all that, with various niches available that sprout from there, for those who are willing to pay them. But when it comes to keyboards, the layperson's keyboard is like a Rolls Royce (albeit a really cheaply-built, rattly knock-off), with numpad, media keys, and no need to resort to convoluted layers and forced extra key-presses. Anyone who wants to customise their keyboard beyond that has little choice but to look downwards.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 August 2021, 19:48:40 by Volny »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 21:44:54 »
Yeah, it's a pretty sorry state right now if you want affordable options in anything TKL or full-size. Not to mention innovation.

Offline tiltowait

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 23:53:11 »
Custom firmware at least allows individual users personalized innovation, but I agree that there's a sense of stagnation. I got out of the hobby for several years and was a bit disappointed to find that the keyboards-as-fashion-accessories trend has only accelerated. They look nice, but they're essentially unchanged since I first got into the hobby.