Author Topic: What switches are you guys interested in or currently using?  (Read 7572 times)

Offline DrGravy3

What switches are you guys interested in or currently using?
« on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 12:52:57 »
Hi all,

I've hit a bit of a dead end with switches currently and am looking for inspiration on what switches to try next.

So my question for everyone is, what switches are you currently using or what switches have you seen that have caught your eye? :)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: What switches are you guys interested in or currently using?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 15:53:39 »
Cherry MX browns
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 09:50:56 »
Hard to suggest something if you don't tell us what you've tried and what you like/don't like.  I'll make some recommendations that might be outside of the current mainstream below.

Linear:
Snow Whites: Really smooth and decently sounding stock.  Good factory lube job and tight tops that don't need films.
Moss: with a light coating of 205g0 and films, these feel a lot smoother and more stable than alpacas to me.   Not sure why, but it is what it is.

Hard Tactile:
The new T1 amber switches are a fantastic option for a no hassle highly tactile switch. Good factory lube job and tight tops.
Gateron Kangaroo swiches have a similar bump but a more satifying bottoming out.  You will need to film them, however.  Bonus points for the longboi spring they use.

Medium/Light Tactile:
JWK Lilac:  You'll need to lube the housing and film them.
JWK Taro Ball: Similar to the lilacs but with better housing fitment.  The little bit of pre-travel on these can be annoying without lube, in my experience.

Clicky:
Not a fan of many clicky switches, but out of all of them, Box Pink have the best weight and sound to me.

Custom:
Zilents: MX silent stem in a Zeal housing with 3204 lube on the stem an housing is still my favorite switch of all.

Others worth mentioning:
JWK Pom linears (black housing white stem).  Sound and feel is exceptional with 205g0
Aqua King linears.  Best in class smoothness and quite stable.  Good factory lube job. Some stems are a bit tight in the top housing and will need to be sifted out.
Don't rule out the classics:  Retooled Cherry blacks with 205g0.  Gateron Yellow KS3 (all black, nylon housings), generously lubed.  Lubed Tealios.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 April 2021, 10:02:37 by pixelpusher »

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 11:43:06 »
waiting for the silo beam switches

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 13:33:48 »
I like the Cherry Switch by Treeleaf

I like
Cherry red, I like
Cherry black
When the housing snap together
The treeleaf is happy

I like
Cherry brown, I like
Cherry clear, and
When the film is there and the lube is also there:
Where is treeleaf? The paragraph feeling
 He is the paragraph and the feeling.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 13:46:51 »
Awaiting some Polia's and Navy's to try out, then in June I should finally receive my Aqua Kings that I put in an order for. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline diazel

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 15:36:04 »

I like
Cherry red, I like
Cherry black
The treeleaf is happy

I like
Cherry brown, I like
Cherry clear, and

This is beautiful.

Offline diazel

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 15:38:57 »
I currently swap frequently between Sakurios, Zilents V2, Niz, and buckling spring. More and more I'm becoming a bigger fan of linear when it comes to MX style switches. Made a keyboard with silent alpacas (205g0) for my fiancee and it's the smoothest MX experience I've ever had.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 16:10:09 »
Would love an Amber Omron board.

Last three boards are U4T and SMK

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 23:25:27 »

I like
Cherry red, I like
Cherry black
The treeleaf is happy

I like
Cherry brown, I like
Cherry clear, and

This is beautiful.

Yes, I am practicing writing poems for my English class. That's our current unit. I'm  working on the rhyme and the formatting and all that.

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 23:39:03 »
I have been using Cherry MX blues and browns... I'd probably take the browns if I had to pick one, but they aren't my favorites either. The blues type okay, but sound awful - I annoy MYSELF with the typing, and I don't even hate clicky switches generally. Neither board is hot-swappable, and neither board is special enough to spend a weekend soldering it, so they'll both probably be gone soon.

I just ordered a GMMK and a couple of bags of switches to start experimenting. I'm starting with Kailh box pink and Hako Royal Trues to see how I like them. I figured it is kind of a cheap/easy experiment to spend 30 bucks on switches plug them into a board to see how it goes. I generally loathe linear switches, but I wouldn't be above spending a few bucks to try just about anything.

If I were to get more Cherry switches, I'd probably try the clear ones. I hear they are an improvement over the browns - more tactile/heavier. I think I prefer not bottoming out all the time too, at least I prefer switches where I can control it if I try. There was a Model F at the front desk of a dorm when I was in college and I used to LOVE typing on it.  I'd type papers while working at the front desk so I could use that keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 April 2021, 23:52:21 by geauxflying »

Offline seville57

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 04:51:52 »
Cherry MX Black/Red. Started with a pink Zowie Celeritas Pro Cherry MX Brown keyboard (no LEDs). Then later some Ducky Shine 2 with Browns, I don't like Browns anymore.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 05:03:26 »
Currently searching for old stock of retooled blacks to use their top housings since Cherry completely **** the bed with their newer tooling (including hyperglides  :-[) interfering with GMK caps. Really wanna do a build using retooled blue bottoms and v2 Zeal stems to bring the tactile bump back to the very top like it was when Zeal first released the v2s. Geeze am I really calling out two different companies for having garbage QC in one post, guess so, woops.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 09:41:47 »
Hi all,

I've hit a bit of a dead end with switches currently and am looking for inspiration on what switches to try next.

So my question for everyone is, what switches are you currently using or what switches have you seen that have caught your eye? :)
Currently using BOX Pink, interested in the BOX Jade for their lighter spring and heavy thick clickbar.   
A huge Kailh BOX tester is in the way.
Also got some U4T sitting aside for quite some time waiting for the KBD67 Lite.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 10:11:52 »
Hi all,

Currently using BOX Pink, interested in the BOX Jade for their lighter spring and heavy thick clickbar.   
I would check out NovelKeys' clearance right now, the box Navy and Jades are on there (paid $14 USD for 70 Navy's)

Offline phwog_

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 10:12:15 »
hmm, one of the most interesting switches I have ever tried is alps skcc tall cream. you can find them in a few radio shack keyboards and old apple m0110's. these are amazing linear switches, and they are completely unlike anything that I assume you have ever felt. they almost have a teensy tactile bump when pressing slowly, but its not noticeable during regular typing.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 16:28:00 »
waiting for the silo beam switches

I guess that's about all I could say as well, besides just sticking with the fantastic clickies that have already been around for years (or decades) now, unless any of the Alps SKCM clones materialize from the ether.

If I were to get more Cherry switches, I'd probably try the clear ones. I hear they are an improvement over the browns - more tactile/heavier. I think I prefer not bottoming out all the time too, at least I prefer switches where I can control it if I try. There was a Model F at the front desk of a dorm when I was in college and I used to LOVE typing on it.  I'd type papers while working at the front desk so I could use that keyboard.

Almost all tactiles ever made are an improvement over MX brown.  ;D Mx clear is surprisingly nice for a bone stock Cherry switch, at least to someone who really doesn't particularly care about tactiles like myself.

I want to know more about this Model F. That must have either been a really long time ago, or within the last few years since Soarer's Converter became a thing.

Hi all,

I would check out NovelKeys' clearance right now, the box Navy and Jades are on there (paid $14 USD for 70 Navy's)

You're the second person I have seen mention that. I could always use even more jades and navies in my life even though I still have enough reserves of each for swapping into at least another board or two per type.

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 21:26:21 »
Almost all tactiles ever made are an improvement over MX brown.  ;D Mx clear is surprisingly nice for a bone stock Cherry switch, at least to someone who really doesn't particularly care about tactiles like myself.

I want to know more about this Model F. That must have either been a really long time ago, or within the last few years since Soarer's Converter became a thing.

It was a moderately long time ago. Around 1999-2000. This was the computer at the front desk of a public university dormitory, so it wasn't the university's highest priority to upgrade. In 1999 it may have been 10 years old, and it would barely chug along, but it would run a basic word processor and once it got started I really liked typing on it... that keyboard. I liked it so much that I spent about $600 bucks around 2 or 3 years ago to order one of these new Model F keyboards (still waiting, years later, oh well).

I'll look forward to trying the clears out. I'm probably most excited to try to Kailh box pink, we'll see.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 22:45:02 »
Currently my daily driver is 62g Zilent V2s with 39g Novelkeys springs, though I really need to put some mid 40's in.

Also still loving them Jailhouse Blues with cut springs.
Other favorites, Kailh Purple Pros (similar to clears) with 39g Novelkeys springs and Box Jades (though I need some lighter springs for them).

What I would like to try is some Box Navies or Jades with mid 40g springs. No idea if it will hang, but it would be fun to try. Soooon...
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 09:38:45 »
I just got into the custom mkb community, but so far I have tried 2 switches. Box Pale Blues, and Box Royals. After trying them out on my plate, I instantly fell in love with the huge amount of tactility that the Royals have and I currently have some Box Navies and some 56g nk springs on the way. I'm not sure if they will work with the thicker clickbar and increased tactility, but I certainly hope so.
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

tp4, compendium of speed, 2015

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 09:51:26 »

It was a moderately long time ago. Around 1999-2000. This was the computer at the front desk of a public university dormitory, so it wasn't the university's highest priority to upgrade. In 1999 it may have been 10 years old, and it would barely chug along, but it would run a basic word processor and once it got started I really liked typing on it... that keyboard. I liked it so much that I spent about $600 bucks around 2 or 3 years ago to order one of these new Model F keyboards (still waiting, years later, oh well).

I'll look forward to trying the clears out. I'm probably most excited to try to Kailh box pink, we'll see.

In 1999 it was likely to be even older than that, since Model M production was already in full swing for a few years by 1989. What were they using that dinosaur for at the front desk? Some kind of record keeping?

I'm still waiting for mine too, even though I paid extra for a custom serial number. I did snag one on Ebay as well though. It will be worth the wait. They're every bit as good as the originals, even better when you consider that the cases are solid zinc and the original 4704 cases were some kind of pot metal Zinc alloy.

You should have bought an F AT or something when they were a lot cheaper.

Box pinks are very nice. Not my favorite of the family, but if I had to have something lighter than jades for some reason, they would be my choice.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 09:53:48 »
I really want to try Sakurio switches and to buy some more Kailh Thick Click Box Jades. I bought a 10-pack of them a couple weeks ago to try them out and they felt amazing, but couldn't get a good experience with just 10 of them. I'd also like to try some less clicky clicky switches, as I've never really used clicky switches before (apart from those 10 box jades)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 10:12:55 »
I really want to try Sakurio switches and to buy some more Kailh Thick Click Box Jades. I bought a 10-pack of them a couple weeks ago to try them out and they felt amazing, but couldn't get a good experience with just 10 of them. I'd also like to try some less clicky clicky switches, as I've never really used clicky switches before (apart from those 10 box jades)

What do you think of the sound of the jades? If you like your clickies relatively deep in the pitch department, and you want to try something less tactile, box pink is the place to look. If you don't mind them being high pitched, you could also look at pale blue and white. The beauty of it all though is that the only differences between the whole family are the clickbar and the spring. You could order some clickbars and springs with varying characteristics and frankenswitch them. I have played with aftermarket ones but I haven't seen much reason to use anything other than what's stock outside of just testing without physically having a stock switch with the same characteristics.

If you really want to go down the clicky rabbit hole, you'll find yourself trying a lot of things that are ancient history and/or totally incompatible with MX.  ;D Box clickies are the best you can get with 100% compatibility with MX caps and boards, but I personally don't think they don't quite match more exotic alternatives.

Offline bakerozee

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 10:20:46 »
Using Vint Blacks atm finally found a good batch, Creampaca, and Tealios.

I would love to try out the Pewters and Creamsicles next.
"more the knowledge lesser the ego, lesser the knowledge more the ego..." Albert Einstein

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 02:46:02 »

What do you think of the sound of the jades? If you like your clickies relatively deep in the pitch department, and you want to try something less tactile, box pink is the place to look. If you don't mind them being high pitched, you could also look at pale blue and white. The beauty of it all though is that the only differences between the whole family are the clickbar and the spring. You could order some clickbars and springs with varying characteristics and frankenswitch them. I have played with aftermarket ones but I haven't seen much reason to use anything other than what's stock outside of just testing without physically having a stock switch with the same characteristics.

If you really want to go down the clicky rabbit hole, you'll find yourself trying a lot of things that are ancient history and/or totally incompatible with MX.  ;D Box clickies are the best you can get with 100% compatibility with MX caps and boards, but I personally don't think they don't quite match more exotic alternatives.
Firstly, I love my box jades. And love the sound of them.

I was thinking about the Box Pinks for a new build (split ergo). Thought they were quite nice - pale blues were something I wanted to look into a bit more. And frankenstein is something I definitely want to try at some point, but due to the cost of frankenswitches (having to buy at least 2 switches for each switch).

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 09:49:14 »

I was thinking about the Box Pinks for a new build (split ergo). Thought they were quite nice - pale blues were something I wanted to look into a bit more. And frankenstein is something I definitely want to try at some point, but due to the cost of frankenswitches (having to buy at least 2 switches for each switch).

There may be other vendors as well, but SPRiT sells various compatible springs and clickbars if you wanted to play around with them.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 02:40:40 »

There may be other vendors as well, but SPRiT sells various compatible springs and clickbars if you wanted to play around with them.

thanks for the link - haven't heard of them before and i've been looking for some heavy springs for a while. however, im in the UK and shipping to the UK from them is $200 - not a price I feel prepared to pay for a set of $10 springs and clickbars. thanks anyway though. I did find that my usual vendor (MechBoards) have started selling some 150g springs. so I'll probably be trying them out

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 03:09:15 »

thanks for the link - haven't heard of them before and i've been looking for some heavy springs for a while. however, im in the UK and shipping to the UK from them is $200 - not a price I feel prepared to pay for a set of $10 springs and clickbars. thanks anyway though. I did find that my usual vendor (MechBoards) have started selling some 150g springs. so I'll probably be trying them out

ignore that thing about probably try them out - i just bought some. they should arrive in a couple days. they don't currently sell any clickbars though so i'll keep looking for some of them.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 09:01:54 »
ignore that thing about probably try them out - i just bought some. they should arrive in a couple days. they don't currently sell any clickbars though so i'll keep looking for some of them.

Do they have box-specific springs listed anywhere? Your link was not functional, so I went to mechboards.co.uk and I may be navigating their website wrong, but I could only find MX springs.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 10:44:33 »
Now i am interested in alps again
Since treeleaf is a tactile lover
He enjoys the Alps tactile feeling very much, and he cannot replicate that feeling into MX
Therefore he will try to find some nice alps switches for the endgame

Finally it all will be over soon   2 years of hobby    And endgame

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 10:53:22 »
He enjoys the Alps tactile feeling very much, and he cannot replicate that feeling into MX

Have you tried Matias tactiles? They're not exactly the same, but they're very nice. You can swap sliders if you don't want the dampening that comes stock with their "quiet clicks".

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:27:06 »
Just received my Polia's and Navy's, Polia's are a tad scratchy stock but I love their tactile profile compared to the few others I've used.  The Navy's are loud and beautiful, and I love their click bar - looks like I'll be planning to use them in my work board because screw my co-workers lol.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:55:46 »
Just received my Polia's and Navy's, Polia's are a tad scratchy stock but I love their tactile profile compared to the few others I've used.  The Navy's are loud and beautiful, and I love their click bar - looks like I'll be planning to use them in my work board because screw my co-workers lol.

I use a Das Pro 4 with the stock Costar stabilizers and box navies in the middle of a school library often.  ;D

I was lazy and missed out on all of the box jade and navy clearance deals ... not that I really needed more.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 07:32:02 »

Do they have box-specific springs listed anywhere? Your link was not functional, so I went to mechboards.co.uk and I may be navigating their website wrong, but I could only find MX springs.

yeah, i think you're right. didn't realise they were MX springs. it was just sort of an impulse buy... should be cool anyway to try them out on some MX switches.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 09:50:09 »
Gotta add that China is a blessing for switch testing, switch testers by vendors are usually either very expensive, boring and lacking diversity or plainly don't exist.
They have very wide selection of switch testers, and some vendors are willing to sell custom sample packs if you ask.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 11:24:42 »
Switch tester does not help me much because  I liked the Box jade On paper    but In practical use they  were not good  for me

I would suggest just buying switches and soldering them on,  Don't buy the best ones, but buy the best ones for the price and try them out on your own keyboard.
it's a good way to get good soldering and/or practice in building keyboard

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 15:31:30 »
Switch tester does not help me much because  I liked the Box jade On paper    but In practical use they  were not good  for me

I would suggest just buying switches and soldering them on,  Don't buy the best ones, but buy the best ones for the price and try them out on your own keyboard.

Soldering is not the issue, desoldering is the problem. 
Good thing Kailh invented the hotswap sockets

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 18:14:20 »

Soldering is not the issue, desoldering is the problem. 
Good thing Kailh invented the hotswap sockets

FR301 goes brrrrrrr
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 12:17:36 »

How are the U4t's? Heard a bit about them and they sound like good switches but unsure on whether to get them or not!

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 12:20:17 »
Currently searching for old stock of retooled blacks to use their top housings since Cherry completely **** the bed with their newer tooling (including hyperglides  :-[) interfering with GMK caps. Really wanna do a build using retooled blue bottoms and v2 Zeal stems to bring the tactile bump back to the very top like it was when Zeal first released the v2s. Geeze am I really calling out two different companies for having garbage QC in one post, guess so, woops.

I do want to try some Cherry housing frankenswitches, they're apparently the best sounding housings out there.
If you are still going to buy some switches from Zeal, now is the time as the prices are being raised by and extra 10% apparently in the near future (cant remember when specifically).

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 12:22:08 »
hmm, one of the most interesting switches I have ever tried is alps skcc tall cream. you can find them in a few radio shack keyboards and old apple m0110's. these are amazing linear switches, and they are completely unlike anything that I assume you have ever felt. they almost have a teensy tactile bump when pressing slowly, but its not noticeable during regular typing.

Hi! Is it quite difficult to find Alps switches, and specifically these ones? I dont really know much about Alps other than they an alternative to MX style.
I'd love to try some Alps switches at some point provided they dont cost me a kidney haha

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 12:24:35 »
I have been using Cherry MX blues and browns... I'd probably take the browns if I had to pick one, but they aren't my favorites either. The blues type okay, but sound awful - I annoy MYSELF with the typing, and I don't even hate clicky switches generally. Neither board is hot-swappable, and neither board is special enough to spend a weekend soldering it, so they'll both probably be gone soon.

I just ordered a GMMK and a couple of bags of switches to start experimenting. I'm starting with Kailh box pink and Hako Royal Trues to see how I like them. I figured it is kind of a cheap/easy experiment to spend 30 bucks on switches plug them into a board to see how it goes. I generally loathe linear switches, but I wouldn't be above spending a few bucks to try just about anything.

Wow, I'd love to try a Model F/M at some point cause of how unique and great they sound, I would've spent every minute possible at that desk if it meant i could use a Model F haha.
I've heard cherry clears are nice and a better alternative to Browns, I think people often spring swap them for lighter springs aswell to make 'ergo clears'.

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 12:26:45 »
Currently my daily driver is 62g Zilent V2s with 39g Novelkeys springs, though I really need to put some mid 40's in.

Also still loving them Jailhouse Blues with cut springs.
Other favorites, Kailh Purple Pros (similar to clears) with 39g Novelkeys springs and Box Jades (though I need some lighter springs for them).

What I would like to try is some Box Navies or Jades with mid 40g springs. No idea if it will hang, but it would be fun to try. Soooon...

39g springs! I'm surprised the stem even comes back up with springs that light haha. must be very easy to type on. I've ordered some Box jades aswell as another 90 gateron yellows (up to a grand total of 270, 180 KS3s and 90 clear tops lol).
Think this is the beginning of my switch hoarding obsession tbh

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 12:28:23 »

You type your messages very beautifully I must say Senor treeleaf!
What sorta Alps would you recommend (tactile linear or clicky).

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 13:48:48 »

Hi! Is it quite difficult to find Alps switches, and specifically these ones? I dont really know much about Alps other than they an alternative to MX style.
I'd love to try some Alps switches at some point provided they dont cost me a kidney haha

Alps SKCC is even older than Alps SKCM/SKCL (which is what most people refer to when speaking broadly about Alps). SKCC is taller than modern switches. They're not particularly rare if you like linear switches, but they predate any real standardization of layout or communication protocol, so I don't think that boards that contain them that are easily converted for use with a modern computer are common, although I do believe that some modern custom boards have supported them. If there have been any modern production caps for their stems, I'm not aware of them.

They're very nice linears in terms of feel, and boards that contain them can often be had for cheap ... probably partly because there's very little that can practically be done with them.

Finding Alps switches, in general, is not difficult. The most common Alps board is the Dell AT101, which most often contains Alps SKCM black switches. These Alps switches do not have a particularly good reputation compared against alternatives, but I think they're pretty decent myself. The problem is that complicated alps switches (SKCM/SKCL) are very susceptible to dust and dirt. If a board doesn't look immaculate, you're gambling on whether or not the switches need a teardown and thorough cleaning in order to even feel close to how they did from the factory, much less being able to be restored completely at all. I think this seems to mostly be a problem with factory-lubricated Alps switches. Alps SKCM white switches are also relatively common, and can still be had for reasonable prices. They're not factory lubricated to my knowledge, so they seem to me to be in decent shape more often than they are not. They usually don't feel or sound quite as nice as SKCM blue, but blue production ceased as white production began and iterative changes were made throughout the lifetimes of each. An early SKCM white (from 1989-1990-ish) can feel and sound very close to a late SKCM blue switch.

SKCM blue is the most coveted of the Alps switches, often considered to be one of the best clicky switches ever made. Combined with their relatively short production run and the aforementioned susceptibility to problems stemming from the ingress of dust and dirt means that they are typically no longer cheap to acquire in good shape, unfortunately.

Wow, I'd love to try a Model F/M at some point cause of how unique and great they sound, I would've spent every minute possible at that desk if it meant i could use a Model F haha.
I've heard cherry clears are nice and a better alternative to Browns, I think people often spring swap them for lighter springs aswell to make 'ergo clears'.

If you like clicky switches at all, you must find a Model F to at least try, somewhere. Hopefully, when the apocalypse is over, you'll be able to find a meet to go to that has a smorgasbord of Alps switches, buckling spring, and beamspring to try out.

That depends on what you want. Some people are diehard MX brown fanatics. I can't understand why. Without modification, or after a wear-in period as some say, unless you type very slowly on them they just feel like scratchy reds. Even with wear and/or lubrication, the tactility would be very slight. It is too little for me to not just prefer linears by comparison. Things may have changed as they retool, and they're now marketing "Hyperglide" switches, but MX clear always seemed to me to not only be much smoother right out of the gate, but actually acceptably tactile in normal use. I still don't like MX or MX clone tactiles to begin with myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All switch types have fantastic representation in the complicated Alps family of switches (SKCM/SKCL). For linears, SKCL green is particularly coveted, although I haven't been able to tell a huge difference between them and the yellows that followed them. As already mentioned, SKCC feel great but have many caveats in the modern world. Honestly though, for linears, you won't find a huge overall difference between families of switches. Linears feel like linears. The biggest difference between them all is weighting and smoothness without modification. From there people get very into the specific feel and sound of different materials used to make the switch. Hall effect and optical may end up being the kings of this category in the future, since they require no physical contacts, making them very smooth by nature.

If you want a unique experience with Alps, you want to try their tactiles and clickies. Orange, cream, salmon and brown (the SKCM version, SKCL is linear) have their proponents for tactiles. For clickies, SKCM blue, amber (these are pretty heavy) and white. I think the clickies stand out the most, but clickies are also my favorite switch type. I prefer their tactiles to every other tactile I have tried besides maybe Topre, and they're so different from Topre that there's really no way to choose one objectively.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 14:00:05 »

How are the U4t's? Heard a bit about them and they sound like good switches but unsure on whether to get them or not!
Keep in mind I have sample of 62g and 68g , fantastic switch, housing is super tight and stays tight after opening it multiple times.
Fantastic tactile event, the short travel due to the stem causes it to feel a bit snappier, though it causes a clack sound (not my thing personally) like the HP variations, pretty smooth, no scratchiness or resistance, no binding.

Tactility aspect aside, Gazzew and Outemu Really puts to shame other manufacturers in terms of quality, I’ve even read lubing them doesn’t make a difference apart for sound, haven’t felt a difference between the 62g and 68g weights, honestly I don’t know which is which.

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 15:00:14 »

Keep in mind I have sample of 62g and 68g , fantastic switch, housing is super tight and stays tight after opening it multiple times.
Fantastic tactile event, the short travel due to the stem causes it to feel a bit snappier, though it causes a clack sound (not my thing personally) like the HP variations, pretty smooth, no scratchiness or resistance, no binding.

Tactility aspect aside, Gazzew and Outemu Really puts to shame other manufacturers in terms of quality, I’ve even read lubing them doesn’t make a difference apart for sound, haven’t felt a difference between the 62g and 68g weights, honestly I don’t know which is which.

They sound great, I might have to pick some up in that case! Thanks :)

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 15:09:43 »

Alps SKCC is even older than Alps SKCM/SKCL (which is what most people refer to when speaking broadly about Alps). SKCC is taller than modern switches. They're not particularly rare if you like linear switches, but they predate any real standardization of layout or communication protocol, so I don't think that boards that contain them that are easily converted for use with a modern computer are common, although I do believe that some modern custom boards have supported them. If there have been any modern production caps for their stems, I'm not aware of them.

They're very nice linears in terms of feel, and boards that contain them can often be had for cheap ... probably partly because there's very little that can practically be done with them.

Finding Alps switches, in general, is not difficult. The most common Alps board is the Dell AT101, which most often contains Alps SKCM black switches. These Alps switches do not have a particularly good reputation compared against alternatives, but I think they're pretty decent myself. The problem is that complicated alps switches (SKCM/SKCL) are very susceptible to dust and dirt. If a board doesn't look immaculate, you're gambling on whether or not the switches need a teardown and thorough cleaning in order to even feel close to how they did from the factory, much less being able to be restored completely at all. I think this seems to mostly be a problem with factory-lubricated Alps switches. Alps SKCM white switches are also relatively common, and can still be had for reasonable prices. They're not factory lubricated to my knowledge, so they seem to me to be in decent shape more often than they are not. They usually don't feel or sound quite as nice as SKCM blue, but blue production ceased as white production began and iterative changes were made throughout the lifetimes of each. An early SKCM white (from 1989-1990-ish) can feel and sound very close to a late SKCM blue switch.

SKCM blue is the most coveted of the Alps switches, often considered to be one of the best clicky switches ever made. Combined with their relatively short production run and the aforementioned susceptibility to problems stemming from the ingress of dust and dirt means that they are typically no longer cheap to acquire in good shape, unfortunately.

If you like clicky switches at all, you must find a Model F to at least try, somewhere. Hopefully, when the apocalypse is over, you'll be able to find a meet to go to that has a smorgasbord of Alps switches, buckling spring, and beamspring to try out.

That depends on what you want. Some people are diehard MX brown fanatics. I can't understand why. Without modification, or after a wear-in period as some say, unless you type very slowly on them they just feel like scratchy reds. Even with wear and/or lubrication, the tactility would be very slight. It is too little for me to not just prefer linears by comparison. Things may have changed as they retool, and they're now marketing "Hyperglide" switches, but MX clear always seemed to me to not only be much smoother right out of the gate, but actually acceptably tactile in normal use. I still don't like MX or MX clone tactiles to begin with myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All switch types have fantastic representation in the complicated Alps family of switches (SKCM/SKCL). For linears, SKCL green is particularly coveted, although I haven't been able to tell a huge difference between them and the yellows that followed them. As already mentioned, SKCC feel great but have many caveats in the modern world. Honestly though, for linears, you won't find a huge overall difference between families of switches. Linears feel like linears. The biggest difference between them all is weighting and smoothness without modification. From there people get very into the specific feel and sound of different materials used to make the switch. Hall effect and optical may end up being the kings of this category in the future, since they require no physical contacts, making them very smooth by nature.

If you want a unique experience with Alps, you want to try their tactiles and clickies. Orange, cream, salmon and brown (the SKCM version, SKCL is linear) have their proponents for tactiles. For clickies, SKCM blue, amber (these are pretty heavy) and white. I think the clickies stand out the most, but clickies are also my favorite switch type. I prefer their tactiles to every other tactile I have tried besides maybe Topre, and they're so different from Topre that there's really no way to choose one objectively.

Wow, thanks for the super detailed reply!
I would love to try and get to a meetup when possible, i imagine i would have to travel quite a while for anything really seeing as im the very corner of the UK, It would be great to maybe try some Alps and buckling spring and beam spring keyboards as well as generally admire everyones lovely collections.
Do you reckon it would be relatively easy to find old boards with alps switches in them in like charity shops or something like that or would i be more likely to find MX boards? I guess it depends on whether Alps switches were really used in home computer systems back in the day and so whether people find them and give them to charity shops.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 15:23:40 »
Wow, thanks for the super detailed reply!
I would love to try and get to a meetup when possible, i imagine i would have to travel quite a while for anything really seeing as im the very corner of the UK, It would be great to maybe try some Alps and buckling spring and beam spring keyboards as well as generally admire everyones lovely collections.
Do you reckon it would be relatively easy to find old boards with alps switches in them in like charity shops or something like that or would i be more likely to find MX boards? I guess it depends on whether Alps switches were really used in home computer systems back in the day and so whether people find them and give them to charity shops.

You're welcome. I'm always happy to oblige anyone interested in vintage switches.

I have literally never found a mechanical keyboard at a thrift store myself, but it seems like many have. Piles and piles of rubber domes and not a mechanical in sight. Your best bet is finding a recycler that will let you dig through gaylords full of keyboards destined to be scrapped. The old gems are, sadly, more likely to be discarded entirely than they are to be donated at all.

I think my aunt found a practically brand new TRS-80 coco keyboard at a Goodwill, which is cool as hell ... but it is still a rubber dome.