Author Topic: Eagletec KG010 disassembly, repair and initial impressions  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Maledicted

Eagletec KG010 disassembly, repair and initial impressions
« on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 20:56:43 »
I recommended this board to my aunt years ago as a cheap way to get into mechanical keyboards. It looks like variants of it are still available on Amazon for less than $40 shipped in the continental U.S.

I obviously liked it in no small part due to it being a Corsair K70 knockoff. The entire board is surprisingly light for how thick the aluminum plate is, at least when compared to a real K70. It also flexes more than I would expect from a similar board, but it still barely flexes at all which I would say is admirable for such a dirt cheap keyboard. Flex is not something I care about at all, but I know some do. The cable is not removable, but it seems to be of acceptable quality and stress relief for just about any price point. It is definitely thicker than most cheap boards, thicker than the removable cable included with the Fnatic Mini Streak that I have nearby that retails for about $100 (given that the Fnatic has Cherry switches and the Eagletech has Outemu blues).

I was surprised to find that the boards come with decent ABS double shots.

267643-0

The main reason for my having decided to post this is in case anyone has one of these bargain bin Chinesium boards that has failed in some way and wants to take a crack at fixing it. For my aunt's board, the t key stopped registering at all within about a year of use and it sat around somewhere unused for a while as a result. I find it likely that others have had a similar problem. I have done a quick edit of an ugly shot of the top of the board to highlight where all of the necessary screws are in red. One of them is, unfortunately, beneath the metal logo on the plate ... just like a Corsair. It won't be easy removing it without marring the plate, logo, or both. I didn't have an ideal flathead handy so this one has a nick in both now. Once you've gotten them all, the bottom of the casing will separate without the use of any force. I didn't get a picture, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cable was attached to the PCB via an easily-removable JST connector and not soldered directly to the PCB.

267645-1

I didn't get any shots of the switch legs/pads before I started messing with them, but the solder on one of them did look a little drier than the rest of them. I tried removing whatever cheap solder was used from both legs of the t switch and the pad for the leg that looked dry fell right off. The other one cleaned right up and I was able to apply fresh solder without issue. Maybe the factory applied too much heat, or force, or the PCB is just cheap. Whatever the case is, that pad was useless and must have been the cause of the failure. I did the usual lazy method of soldering some scrap wire to the good pad and shorted it to nearby pads until I found the closest one that would give me an output of t, removed my test wire, soldered a jumper wire and all was well once more.

267649-2

It still seems like a pretty good value to me for a cheap board if you like clicky switches, especially if you're either handy with a soldering iron or want to become so. Outemu blues are just about tied for me with Gateron for best MX/clone clicky. Their cheap/base linears and tactiles suck though.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 May 2021, 22:10:22 by Maledicted »

Offline Lanrefni

Re: Eagletec KG010 disassembly, repair and initial impressions
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 01:50:13 »
I used one for about year,it wasn't bad,I ended up transferring the switches to my BFO-9000.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 08:36:47 »
I used one for about year,it wasn't bad,I ended up transferring the switches to my BFO-9000.

You put in the effort to harvest standard Outemu switches for another board? Did you not have another preference, or was the budget tight? Was there something wrong with the KG010?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 16:57:07 »
Thanks for the write up, it's always good to know where the screws are hiding :thumb:

Looks like you got lucky with the fix, being black it's hard to be sure but doesn't look like a sensible matrix (few off the shelf boards are so not surprised!)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 10:50:50 »
Thanks for the write up, it's always good to know where the screws are hiding :thumb:

Looks like you got lucky with the fix, being black it's hard to be sure but doesn't look like a sensible matrix (few off the shelf boards are so not surprised!)

No problem. I thought it may come in handy for somebody in the future.

I didn't test the entire row (my scrap bit of wire wasn't long enough), but every pad I tried on that row gave me the desired output so it seemed like there was at least some method to the madness. You know a lot more about how a keyboard matrix should be done than I do though.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 17:59:05 »

You put in the effort to harvest standard Outemu switches for another board? Did you not have another preference, or was the budget tight? Was there something wrong with the KG010?

I ended up really liking the way they feel so I reused them,if I had to do it over I'd have just bought new switches,desoldering 104 switches was a pain in the ass.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 20:40:32 »

I ended up really liking the way they feel so I reused them,if I had to do it over I'd have just bought new switches,desoldering 104 switches was a pain in the ass.

Yeah, Outemu blues are surprisingly nice for how they come in literally the cheapest boards available. I don't think I would even be able to tell them from Gaterons in a blind test.

It sure is, especially without really good tools for the job. Did you end up lifting any pads? What sort of pump did you use? I wonder if that bad pad on my aunt's was a fluke or more common. If all of the pads are still good, you could swap some box jades or something into the husk. ;D

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 00:29:43 »

Yeah, Outemu blues are surprisingly nice for how they come in literally the cheapest boards available. I don't think I would even be able to tell them from Gaterons in a blind test.

It sure is, especially without really good tools for the job. Did you end up lifting any pads? What sort of pump did you use? I wonder if that bad pad on my aunt's was a fluke or more common. If all of the pads are still good, you could swap some box jades or something into the husk. ;D

I may have gotten a little too enthusiastic pulling on the pcb with out noticing one switch was still partially soldered and cracked the pcb...

Thinking about cutting it down into a ten keyless and hand wiring everything.

Offline wdb2021

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 03:25:13 »
This keyboard works great. My computer was connected to this model board.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 09:13:17 »

I may have gotten a little too enthusiastic pulling on the pcb with out noticing one switch was still partially soldered and cracked the pcb...

Thinking about cutting it down into a ten keyless and hand wiring everything.

That would be cool. Birchwood Casey makes some touch up solution for black anodization. That should help cover up the cut you make.

This keyboard works great. My computer was connected to this model board.

Yeah, I particularly like the finish of the aluminum. It is more glossy than a real K70. I wish it had a volume wheel though.

Offline bondonin

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 31 October 2022, 09:50:11 »
The main reason for my having decided to post this is in case anyone has one of these bargain bin Chinesium boards that has failed in some way and wants to take a crack at fixing it. For my aunt's board, the t key stopped registering at all within about a year of use and it sat around somewhere unused for a while as a result. I find it likely that others have had a similar problem. I have done a quick edit of an ugly shot of the top of the board to highlight where all of the necessary screws are in red. One of them is, unfortunately, beneath the metal logo on the plate ... just like a Corsair. It won't be easy removing it without marring the plate, logo, or both. I didn't have an ideal flathead handy so this one has a nick in both now. Once you've gotten them all, the bottom of the casing will separate without the use of any force. I didn't get a picture, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cable was attached to the PCB via an easily-removable JST connector and not soldered directly to the PCB.
I didn't get any shots of the switch legs/pads before I started messing with them, but the solder on one of them did look a little drier than the rest of them. I tried removing whatever cheap solder was used from both legs of the t switch and the pad for the leg that looked dry fell right off. The other one cleaned right up and I was able to apply fresh solder without issue. Maybe the factory applied too much heat, or force, or the PCB is just cheap. Whatever the case is, that pad was useless and must have been the cause of the failure. I did the usual lazy method of soldering some scrap wire to the good pad and shorted it to nearby pads until I found the closest one that would give me an output of t, removed my test wire, soldered a jumper wire and all was well once more.
It still seems like a pretty good value to me for a cheap board if you like clicky switches, especially if you're either handy with a soldering iron or want to become so. Outemu blues are just about tied for me with Gateron for best MX/clone clicky. Their cheap/base linears and tactiles suck though.
I'm surprised there aren't any more threads/posts about outemu failures on gh. Theres alot more reports of outemus on reddit, my old cheap kb which used hotswappable outemu browns developed failures after some time. Didn't realize it because I'd loaned it out and forgot about it. Then I found out and was told that some switches were replaced but new failures cropped up after another year or so. I think theres enough data to show that the older outemu switches don't hold up in terms of reliability. I've swapped them out for Akko's and it'll be interesting to see how long these cheap switches last compared to outemu.