Author Topic: Trying to find the perfect feather-weight switches  (Read 1715 times)

Offline lordtataraus

Trying to find the perfect feather-weight switches
« on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 23:59:59 »
Hey folks,

I've built a couple keyboards and normally just lurk around the forums and reddit, but I'm at the point of asking for some help. I'm trying to find my perfect switch, I know a nearly impossible task, but I'm close. Right now my standard board is Kailh Box Whites which are nearly perfect (I love the sound) and my gaming board is Speed Coppers. I am a very light typer, I like my fingers to dance across the keyboard as quickly as possible and the small actuation point is amazing for that. However, both still could be a lighter press for my taste. Especially on pinky keys I tend to just miss the actuation point at full speed.

What are the lightest switches I can get? Preferably with a small actuation point too. Alternatively, I'm not opposed to getting some lighter springs to swap into my Box Whites if need be.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Trying to find the perfect feather-weight switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 00:44:05 »
Lighter springs will probably be your best bet, will recommend either tx or sprit. I know waterkings have a 30 something G version which are very light

Offline econeuler

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 03:49:17 »
I agree with above that spring switch to lighter springs is a good idea. You can go very light with linear switches. Also, if you want a light but also faster actuation, less pre travel, Kailh Choc switches might be an option. I'm about to build a Kyria with Light Blue Choc (20gf, Linear, also known as "gChoc") switches. The gChoc is 20gf which is about twice as light as the Kailh Box Whites with slightly less travel, you can check the website but I don't think they have put up a force graph yet.

Offline shs0913

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 06:11:15 »
I also share the same opinion with others.(change spring pressure to low pressure.)
I recommend 50g ~ 53g.

Offline lordtataraus

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 15:21:17 »
It does look like swapping springs is the way to go. I did look into the choc switches and even bought a bunch before I realized the pins are completely different from standard so I need a specialized PCB and different keycaps too. That's what's kept me away from using them.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 03:01:05 »
It does look like swapping springs is the way to go. I did look into the choc switches and even bought a bunch before I realized the pins are completely different from standard so I need a specialized PCB and different keycaps too. That's what's kept me away from using them.

I see! Update us on what you switched to, and your thoughts about it! Always interesting to hear  :)

Offline Volny

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 10:25:33 »
Well, my corsair k100 comes with cherry speed silvers, and I can't ****ing stand them, for all the reasons you would probably like them.

They have a very short actuation distance, and require very little force to get there. Whenever a flea on the other side of the room sneezes, about 4 keys get actuated. Swap out the springs for some slightly lighter ones, give them a good lube (mine are stock - presumably unlubed) and you may have yourself a contender.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 10:51:28 »
I use Speed Coppers on a board. In tandem with Kailh Pro Purple.

They're fine switches for some uses. If you want to go light, just go for lighter springs, maybe starting around 55 G. OUTEMU probably offers cheap 52 G springs.

To open Kailh switches like the Speed Copper and Pro Purple, you need a specific opener. So make sure you get one with that capability. Once you have the opener and springs, you'll be surprised at how easy it all is.