Author Topic: Keyboard storage boxes  (Read 6458 times)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Keyboard storage boxes
« on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:50:37 »
So I've been looking into keyboard storage boxes for quite some time now for those custom boards and finally had some time to take some measurements, a tenkeyless is around 14.5"~ for custom ones and a SSK is 16"~

Ideally you want some extra room for example the SSK box i use right now also holds the cable on the side and its 19"

I was aiming for a 18-19" ones and I found one that fits full size keyboards 19 1/8" x 9 1/8" x 2 3/16" but thought it was too big, but now that I did the measurements it's just fine (My KMAC is actually in a box in that size and it's perfect)

http://www.shippingsupply.com/p-1157-19-18-x-9-18-x-2-316-deluxe-literature-mailers.aspx

That is the cheapest I found which is $37.20 for 50 boxes + shipping, for me it comes to $57.96 which is cheaper then uline.com

I know most people wouldn't need 50 boxes so if you have other Geekhackers locally to you this would be a good time to split some boxes with each other :)

Worst comes to worst just get 50 and use the rest to ship stuff :P
Keyboardless

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Re: Keyboard storage boxes
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:51:38 »
First!

Maybe I will ask the Seattle meet up folks to do a mini group buy on this to save shipping.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:53:39 »
Yeah a normal GB would not be good since the price tiers isn't that great and reshipping this stuff will eat up all the money saved and more
Keyboardless

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 19:06:05 »
hmm might need to do a bay area group buy :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 19:25:00 »
These are very nice. I have been using the free flat rate Priority Mail game board boxes but they are way big - about 2'x1'x3" which is perfect for about 2 Model Ms face-to-face with plenty of space on the sides for padding. If I remember correctly you can even get (2) 122-key terminal boards in without straining.

I would love to get about 10 of these for about $15 if anybody else is in the North Metro Atlanta area, but I don't want to sponsor the buy.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 20:49:18 »
Free is good buy those game board boxes are huge i think i can fit like 4 tenkeyless inside :P
Keyboardless

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 21:16:23 »
Keep in mind using priority mail boxes for anything but mailing stuff is questionably legal.

That said, I have about 1o left over that I will use to mail keyboards, etc. The pile of full ones in my closet is huge.

They are neatly labelled at least.
---
Maybe I'll cut the boxes down a little, or use the cardboard to make a phantom case (or keycap set case, like topre does)
---
I noticed these boxes when I was browsing the uline catalog at work. This seems to be a pretty good deal for them, but most of us don't need 50.

I wonder how cheaply we could ship like 25 or 10 or 5 of them? I'd gladly do a GB, but no-one lives nearby, so I'd have to reship some to people. (Wow, do I really have 17 keyboards?)

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 21:16:24 »
Someone in the Chi buy this and give me 1.  I just need 1!!!

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 02:01:17 »
I'm trying to think of a way that shipping packages of these boxes doesn't diminish the value of buying them.

Like seriously, I'll buy a box of 50, keep a couple and give the rest away if you guys cover shipping.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 03:02:23 »
Would you guys be interested in Tenkeyless storage boxes?  I am not sure if you guys wanted a carrying case one or just a regular storage box.  I am working with someone to supply these.  Also, we're working on key cap storage boxes.  Everything is being sampled as of now.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 03:04:51 »
Tbh Sherry I came here hoping it would be some sort of case, but after noting the plight I figured I'd make an offer on distributing them. Shipping boxes in boxes always makes me laugh a bit inside though.

I could definitely use either of those though, so I'm excited to see what you've got in the works!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 11:20:16 »
Great, now prices will be doubled for rent.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline litster

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 11:29:42 »
you still renting?  you should have down payment for a house by now.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 12:48:40 »
Last time I checked, doubling the price of me giving them away for free is still free. Don't worry though, for you guys its $50 each box.

Offline litster

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:00:11 »
You are so cute. 

I bet next thing you are going to say is you are a business manager and is well versed in econ 101.  Charging people $50 each box would be the only logical thing for you to do.