Author Topic: Do You Display Your Keyboards?  (Read 6444 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Do You Display Your Keyboards?
« on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 16:39:04 »
Since getting back into Mechanical Keyboards over the past 30-days, I'm starting to acquire quite a few keyboards. It's clear that I'm going to have more keyboards that I can physically use and this led me to thinking about how I could display them. Looking at the near empty wall at the far end of my office, I got to thinking that some kind of a wall mounted display case might be kind of cool. 

Doing a couple of Google searches, I found some modular collector cases, like this one from Showcase Express, but those seem kind of expensive. Of course any shelf would work, like what they have at MechanicalKeyboards.com, but I like the idea of having them behind glass to keep them from getting dusty.

Has anyone done anything like this and if so, what did you do?

Update: I created a Pinterest board to capture the different ideas I've come across. You can find it here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:10:18 by mashby »

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
Re: Wall Mount Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 16:42:15 »
This might be of your interests.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38617.0

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 16:45:11 »
This might be of your interests.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38617.0

Great idea for displaying keycaps! Thanks kmiller8.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 16:57:49 »
Yeah sorry, I misread the OP, you're looking more for actual mounts of keyboards :p

Some things to consider, lighter colored boards will yellow over time so you'll probably want to put it out of direct sunlight, or perhaps behind glass with some sort of UV coating? (I don't know if anything like that cheaply exists)

Also since you're talking about mounting it in your office, I'm not sure how much of a 'destructive' method of hanging you'd be willing to do. that Mechanicalkeyboards.com shelf looks more like they just made some small shelves and ran a rod of some sort through each shelf to hold the boards back.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 17:34:43 »
Duct Tape!  ;D
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 15:55:22 »
I'm still looking for ideas on the best way to display some of the keyboards I've been collecting.

Shadow boxes were one thought, but I want to have the ability to actually pull out the keyboard. A shadow box would basically entomb the keyboard. A collector's case (like the one mentioned in the OP) would allow me to open the case and pull it out, but they look ugly and are rather expensive.

I dust my office every week or two and it's not like I work in a warehouse, so the glass enclosure of a display case really doesn't add much to the protection of the boards. Which has brought be back to a simple shelf.

Ikea has quite a few simple and affordable options, such as this and this. I'm not far from Atlanta and travel there on a fairly frequent basis, so it's looking more-and-more like that's the best option.

Any other suggestions besides a shelf?  :rolleyes:

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:09:03 »
I posted the question on Deskthority, "Do You Display Your Keyboards?", which I think is a better question than mine in the OP "Wall Mount Ideas", so I've updated the OP .

You should really go over there to see some of the ideas, especially CeeSA's Keyboard Shelf using a $50 Ikea Lack Shelf.

That sent me down the rabbit hole of Houzz, Pinterest and Google, so I created a board on Pinterest that you might find inspiring if you're looking to do the same thing -- Keyboard Display Project.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Do You Display Your Keyboards?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:14:41 »
I would really like some good shelves, but I would want something enclosed in glass so they would be protected from the dust.  In one of the other threads, someone posted a link to a photo of mechanicalkeyboards.com's display room, and what they had was perfect.  Expensive, though, I'm sure.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:18:55 »
I would really like some good shelves, but I would want something enclosed in glass so they would be protected from the dust.  In one of the other threads, someone posted a link to a photo of mechanicalkeyboards.com's display room, and what they had was perfect.  Expensive, though, I'm sure.

I visited them back in December and they are using ledges to display their keyboards. They aren't encased in glass.  :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:25:04 »
I was thinking about this when I was in the Container Store today. Was looking for a better way to hold keycap sets besides plastic baggies. Anyways, I was also thinking about this and I think something like wire mesh closet shelves would be nice. The ones in the Container Store are expensive but you can get cheaper ones at Ikea.

That Lack Shelving looks really nice too.

I also have an Ikea shoe rack that folds out. That might be nice too.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 17:04:30 »
Sh!t

I have to hide the damn things in boxes in the basement so that the wife doesn't see how many I have.

And I only have a couple of dozen, but she would be as upset about the space as about the money.

Anyway, I have about 4-5 computer rigs that they rotate between, otherwise, they are out of sight.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 17:10:36 »
Sh!t

I have to hide the damn things in boxes in the basement so that the wife doesn't see how many I have.

And I only have a couple of dozen, but she would be as upset about the space as about the money.

Anyway, I have about 4-5 computer rigs that they rotate between, otherwise, they are out of sight.

She never goes into your basement?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 20:49:57 »
Not all that often.

There are a couple of thousand books, CDs, and LPs, plus camping gear, obsolete toys, and who knows what else.

Random boxes here and there are just background scenery.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 15:17:30 »
I suppose I could always do something like this.  :eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 15:55:12 »
I suppose I could always do something like this.  :eek:

Yeah, that looks about right. My boards definitely deserve that kinda display sexiness :P

Offline wcass

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 19:46:27 »
look for a nice 12" deep bookshelf with holes in the sides for adjusting the shelves heights. now set the back shelf supports about an inch or two above the front supports. holding the shelf in might be an issue if the bookshelf does not have a front "frame", but finishing nails will fix that. you might need to add a front lip to the shelves.