Author Topic: DIY Unicomp lighting help  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Carnage

DIY Unicomp lighting help
« on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 18:01:12 »
Hello guys! its me carnage again back its been a while been really busy with these 12 hour work days :eek:! Any whom i was wondering if anybody had a DIY guild for led lighting for a unicomp buckiling springs. Why now ill go on my rant, i do miss my blue alps the lighting thunder it brought was amazing. Now I'm getting use to the buckling spring it brings the lighting it has that's for sure its really light and fast response which i adore. But it doesn't bring the thunder and loudness that the my ol blue alps did when they clicked and clacked it was like a earth quack. Anyways i was looking for a DIY for Unicomp board LED lighting. ((BTW Leading edge 2014))

But regardless im really starting to like this keyboard and i want to spice it up a bit heres some pics.

I was wondering if anybody had a guide or any information on a DIY LED lighting. Now i dont want some crazyall out lighting but under the caps id like a nice blue glow actually under the keycaps almost coming up. Im not sure if theres enough room to work with on it i was thinking maybe find the grey areas the caps dont connect to the board to and glueing down the blue LEDS but im still not sure. So if anybdoy could give me advie a link or there own guide, opinons, or ideas it would be much appreciated. I am really starting to enjoy this board but id like to add a more WOAH! factor to it which i think the lighting would do. I'm planning on using this for another year or so until i can get a board like my old one then switching on and off game boards, office boards, work boards, etc. I do wish i could make this baby a bit louder to but i doubt that will happen :P but any suggestion or ideas on the DIY underglow lighting would be appreciated thanks!

Id just like to spice it up a little and add some uniqueness to it so it seems like one of a kind my own so i figured the lightning might flare this board up a bit. Until i can get another amazing blue alps or a Kmac :Drools:
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 January 2013, 18:15:38 by Carnage »

Offline Melchior

Re: DIY Unicomp lighting help
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 20:50:28 »
I suggest a flat, SMD LED strip - thinnest possible, lain underneath the keys - so that when the key bottoms out; it does NOT crush the emitter. (might not be possible in all locations...)

Or perhaps a couple of meters of EL-Wire.
Ducky ONE    |   CM Recon

Offline wcass

Re: DIY Unicomp lighting help
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:05:46 »
EL wire would probably look nice, but i don't know how long it would last. you will also need to find room for the power adapter.

i did a "TSSK" mod where i chopped off the 10key and nav keys from an IBM 122 terminal keyboard. i wanted a caps lock indicator, so i drilled out the stud that is under the caps lock key and put a light pipe in it's place. the flash from my camera washed it out - even in a well lit room it looks very nice.
12069-0