Author Topic: Clear keycap storage cases on EliteKeyboard  (Read 15990 times)

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
Clear keycap storage cases on EliteKeyboard
« on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:06:21 »
Never leave your key in one big bag, buy a proper storage case

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=us104_case
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: Clear keycap storage cases on EliteKeyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:12:10 »
The perfect stocking filler :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:32:54 »
These are really nice for layout out keysets etc, I've got a couple of them.

Offline Belfong

Clear keycap storage cases on EliteKeyboard
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:36:23 »
Nice!

Does it fit those taller Round 4 or Round 5 SPH caps?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:39:37 »
Nice!

Does it fit those taller Round 4 or Round 5 SPH caps?

I don't think so. But maybe I can try tonight when I'm home.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:44:35 »
Shipping to United Kingdom $56 ???
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Neal

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:55:58 »
Nevermind...  :eek:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 07:03:11 »

Let me point out there shipping on things like this is always high because it is in a bigger box and I believe they must use flat rate pricing.

These could be shipped for much less than that probably closer to $10-15 which I know is still high but these are as big as a keyboard, even though they don't weigh anything.

If there is a large interest perhaps we could do a mini group buy and ship them all together to be distrubted over there.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 07:21:26 »
Maybe it is better to buy out from Taiwan especially since I am in Asia. Otherwise the shipping will kill me too.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 07:33:20 »
Maybe it is better to buy out from Taiwan especially since I am in Asia. Otherwise the shipping will kill me too.

Yeah , even in the US they charge $10 shipping on these :(

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 07:41:03 »
That's really cool except no room for tsangan/moogle kits

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 09:11:43 »
strongly support a group buy on this. I also hope somebody can get in touch with the manufacturer and get versions without the premade Cherry mx stem holes. That way, you can use the storage case for alternative layouts. If it was cheap enough, I could buy a dozen and store my entire keycap collection!
(Ps I suspect manufacturing cost is not even $1, so a group buy will really work out well.)

Let me point out there shipping on things like this is always high because it is in a bigger box and I believe they must use flat rate pricing.

These could be shipped for much less than that probably closer to $10-15 which I know is still high but these are as big as a keyboard, even though they don't weigh anything.

If there is a large interest perhaps we could do a mini group buy and ship them all together to be distrubted over there.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 09:26:51 »
Shipping would still be tedious, unless you're getting a nice bunch -- maybe 10 at a time? They look like they don't take up a lot of space, either.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 09:55:27 »
would love to know which Taiwan company is making this, and whether they can sell directly.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 11:33:32 »
Whoa, 6 bux per ?! Getting one of the 104 sets for $20 seems more reasonable -- they come in one of the containers.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 12:04:01 »
Whoa, 6 bux per ?! Getting one of the 104 sets for $20 seems more reasonable -- they come in one of the containers.

$6 feels high. If they sold them for $3, but in a pack of 10, with $10 shipping, that would feel more reasonable -- for me at least. But yeah, now their sets seem a lot more reasonably priced, if they come with this packaging.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline MarkPharaoh

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 12:43:08 »
Seems like an absolute ripoff to me. I'll stick with my sandwich bags.
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 13:32:53 »
I like the concept, but I wish they included the ability to include a tsangan set as well.  :'(

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 13:49:42 »
I like the concept, but I wish they included the ability to include a tsangan set as well.  :'(

Yeah, I'm thinking  I would need at least 2-3 of these for just one of my sets, considering all the extra little kits.
Go, go, ZipLoc bags. I'll splurge and get the double sealing ones, LOL!

Maybe bags are just easier. I mean, the keys could scrape against one another, but really -- are we throwing bags filled with keycaps at one another? Using them as hackey sacks? Don't do that, and the keys are probably going to be fine. Holy crap, I said hackey sack.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2013, 13:51:49 by Krogenar »
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 17:49:50 »
This is the same as the one the coloured pad-printed sets came in?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 18:34:39 »
This is the same as the one the coloured pad-printed sets came in?

Yes

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 18:46:11 »
DAMNIT! I just ordered from them twice the past two weeks lol I want this now >.<

Offline Belfong

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 19:09:22 »
We are getting key caps from group buy in a bag already. So keys scratching each other is already given and done. What's wrong with keeping them in the bags? They are not virgins anymore anyway!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 19:10:54 »
We are getting key caps from group buy in a bag already. So keys scratching each other is already given and done. What's wrong with keeping them in the bags? They are not virgins anymore anyway!

Just so you can display or look at the entire set.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 19:58:19 »
Well, somebody once posted on those good containers he bought from Daiso at just $2 to store keycaps. And they are stackable too and no shipping. That's what I plan to do when my R4 and R5 are here..

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 20:48:30 »

Just so you can display or look at the entire set.
I have bought fully functioning cherry MX keyboards for cheap. Perhaps I should use them to display keycap sets with.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 00:58:52 »

I belive the term is 'piss-take'

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 01:44:26 »

I belive the term is 'piss-take'

I had a silly quote for shipping to Australia (when included with the pad-printed keycap set).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 11:17:39 »
I'm finding out right now that shipping light keyboard-sized items internationally is pretty miserable :(
For something only TKL sized you're paying for at least 1.5kg of freight even if your package is a fraction of that.  Adding tracking makes it even worse.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline tbc

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:23:22 »
I don't get it; why is their shipping like 3 times what it costs keypop.net to ship their container over?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:31:36 »
Would topre fit this since its a circle?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 03:51:49 »
I'm finding out right now that shipping light keyboard-sized items internationally is pretty miserable :(
For something only TKL sized you're paying for at least 1.5kg of freight even if your package is a fraction of that.  Adding tracking makes it even worse.

Same here. When I was shipping my key cap to Bunny Lake for his project, I thought of shipping via DHL. That guy told me that minimum weight is 500gm. If I ship 1gm, they treat it as 500gm, which cost a damn huge BOMB!

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 04:46:41 »

Shipping is almost 10x the cost of the case

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline tbc

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 22:49:59 »
how small does a keyboard need to be to not get hit with these ridiculous rates?

i think geekhack should start funding a new switch design lol; shipping is killing us all.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 07:50:55 »
how small does a keyboard need to be to not get hit with these ridiculous rates?

i think geekhack should start funding a new switch design lol; shipping is killing us all.
Not sure how EK mails, but for USPS international it's the weight not the size usually. The minimum is something like $6.50 for 3 oz or less.

A TKL in a well packed box will be about 4 lbs.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 08:41:53 »

Not sure how EK mails, but for USPS international it's the weight not the size usually. The minimum is something like $6.50 for 3 oz or less.

A TKL in a well packed box will be about 4 lbs.

Does EK use USPS or some other shipper for international packages? For conus they have always used fedex for my packages.

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 12:58:18 »
Hi all,

I've been getting a few questions on these cases from GHers, so I thought I'd answer some of them publicly here.

- Yes, these are the same cases that come with our full Cherry sets.
- Yes, Topre keycaps will fit...to an extent; the space bar and modifiers will have to be shuffled around or omitted.  Originally it was supposed to be a universal case, but we had to lean one way so that one of them worked perfectly.

Regarding shipping pricing, we're working out some First Class rates that will bring down domestic rates a bit and shipping overseas quite a bit more (to $20 or less during checkout). In the meantime, if you'd like to order, please email sales@elitekeyboards.com so we can setup First Class shipping. Shipping a few of these to Canada will be about $12-14 and to Europe about $18-20. (Historically we never offered a First Class rate table because we did not want to allow people to choose First Class mail to ship an HHKB; as no one will insure it.)

BTW, this design is unique to EK. I had the original idea a couple years ago, it just took while to work out the intricacies and shake the Topre idea; universal-ality is a road dotted with potholes. There is a separate Topre version, but Topre has put keycap manufacturing on hold, so it may not see the light of day.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 16:06:07 »
^^ Topre isn't making any more key caps?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 16:32:07 »

:eek:

That will make it kinda difficult to type on any new Topre keyboards that are made!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 16:34:27 »

:eek:

That will make it kinda difficult to type on any new Topre keyboards that are made!

Oh wait. It must be because they will all have those MX cap adapters.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 06:28:19 »

:eek: maaaan, I gotta quickly buy my HHKB white blank key caps!

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:01:19 »
Anyone from singapore gonna do a group buy? Ill be in a for a few sets

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 10:05:21 »
Damn I guess I better just fork the money out for colored blanks since they aren't making them anymore. :(

Offline Belfong

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 21:37:31 »
Necro-ing this thread. Anyone using this? How is it compared to Hot Keys (aka Gas Mask) acrylic case?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 21:41:12 »
Necro-ing this thread. Anyone using this? How is it compared to Hot Keys (aka Gas Mask) acrylic case?
Show Image

Yep, I'm using one! It works okay. The "circles" meant to hold the caps in kind of get beat up after you switch out the caps maybe 3-4 times. After that the caps are just super loose and every time I open the thing, many keys just start flying. It's fine since it came with caps, but I don't think I'd buy one as a permanent case.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 21:44:37 »
Thanks bro.. Do you have a Topre board? Can this case support Topre caps? I had the impression the circle is just to loosely hold the caps. From your description, it's like it is a hard fit so I am thinking Topre might not work at all.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 21:47:26 »
Thanks bro.. Do you have a Topre board? Can this case support Topre caps? I had the impression the circle is just to loosely hold the caps. From your description, it's like it is a hard fit so I am thinking Topre might not work at all.

No problem!

I do have a topre board, but it's at work right now. I can try it out Monday afternoon if nobody else has tried it by then.

But yeah either way, these cases are not durable at all. It's pretty much for sets that you want to leave alone for a while. If you like messing with cap combos, then just forget about it!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 22:06:00 »
Good feedback, Lastpilot. I'm definitely looking for something more durable because of constant swapping of keys. Probably Gas Mask acrylic makes more sense.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 22:28:30 »
For three dollars less, you could buy one of these cases on eBay and get a Leopold thick PBT set FOR FREE. And that price includes shipping from Korea to anywhere in the world.

Seriously, that "storage case" is the exact same type that the Leopold key sets are packaged in.
The keys are Cherry profile. They come with two 6.25u Space Bars, where one will fit QFR, Ducky, and other non-Leopold keyboards.
If you choose a blank set, there is an extra 1u and a 1.25u key for the bottom row so that you would only need a Cherry Return key to make a complete ISO set.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 November 2014, 22:39:20 by Findecanor »

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:58:43 »
These cases come with the cheapie $20 ABS keycap sets they sell.
I bought a set of blanks for the beater I leave at the lab and it came in one of these. Didn't even pay attention to the last line of the product description which included this bit.

Yes I would buy the cases empty if I were to get them shipped with a pre-existing purchase to save on shipping.