Author Topic: How do you guys store your keyboards?  (Read 7036 times)

Offline wharrislv

How do you guys store your keyboards?
« on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 01:34:36 »
I guess I've started a collection here.  I'm up to 5 keyboards that aren't seeing active use, and another 6 in use on various computers in my life.  I've broken a few switches on an old Das by improperly storing it, and am thinking about just picking up a big plastic bin for them and my keycaps, but I'm hoping that someone out there might have a more interesting solution, or ideas on how to keep them safe.  Pictures are really appreciated! :thumb:
Current daily drivers : HHKB Pro 2, HHKB Lite in a server rack, A few Filco numpads in brown and blue, Pure Pro in Brown with Rainbow PBT, CM Ninja in Brown with white engaved PBTs, two Model Ms 89 and 91 with a few red esc, Ergodox full in clear with blanks, a jdcarpe built 40% awaiting some Round 6 keycaps, and soon a Gon custom.  Hundreds more on site at a mechanical friendly work site where I am the purchaser.  If it exists, I probably have used one!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: How do you guys store your keyboards?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 01:43:34 »
leaning them up against my wall.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 01:54:55 »
For the keyboard that I used daily, I will put a tower to cover it while I am not using.  For keyboards that I don't used them often, I put them in their original box, and then put them in another box(usually just plain box) for protection, and I put them either under my bed or in my closet.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 02:14:11 »
HaaTa recommended these boxes: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-6496/Specialty-Boxes/19-1-8-x-9-1-8-x-2-3-16-Keyboard-Boxes

They’re pretty great for most keyboards (a few keyboards are too wide, to long, or too tall, but most will fit) and priced reasonably, but the minimum order is 25 boxes, which might be more than you need. They stack very well, so you can just pile them up in a closet or something.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 02:24:16 »
HaaTa recommended these boxes: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-6496/Specialty-Boxes/19-1-8-x-9-1-8-x-2-3-16-Keyboard-Boxes

They’re pretty great for most keyboards (a few keyboards are too wide, to long, or too tall, but most will fit) and priced reasonably, but the minimum order is 25 boxes, which might be more than you need. They stack very well, so you can just pile them up in a closet or something.

You can also get free game box's from usps.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 02:48:44 »
In their original box. That is also how I transport them from one place to another. Though I buy my keyboards to actually use them, so all of them (except for one) are on a desk either at work or at home.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 03:49:51 »
I put them in a closet with doors and shelves
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 03:57:59 »
I guess I've started a collection here.  I'm up to 5 keyboards that aren't seeing active use, and another 6 in use on various computers in my life.  I've broken a few switches on an old Das by improperly storing it, and am thinking about just picking up a big plastic bin for them and my keycaps, but I'm hoping that someone out there might have a more interesting solution, or ideas on how to keep them safe.  Pictures are really appreciated! :thumb:

god id love to have the same problem ;D

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 04:25:44 »
I use those keyboard cases from that one GB like a year ago...I can't even remember who started it and what they're called.  :rolleyes:  Think they were from Korea.  Zenuty might've been the one that proxied 'em?

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 08:19:30 »

You can also get free game box's from usps.

I just ordered some, and they come in quantities of 25.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 08:31:37 »
I usually just use the boxes they come in but I almost never travel with them at all.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 08:32:17 »
Currently all my 'things' are literally in piles....hopefully when we ever get a new place I'll have some organized storage, those uline boxes look worthwhile for sure.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 10:52:07 »
Well my extras are currently sitting on the floor next to my desk....

Poker II

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 12:28:15 »
I lean my legendary ones on my desk and the weird ones I just keep on my floor in my room.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 13:52:59 »
I've put everything back in their boxes. My BW doesn't have a box but it's in use by my dad, and my Model M doesn't have a box so that is just on top of all my other boards boxes.

Makes them easier to store, transport and keeps them free of dust :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 15:22:51 »
I just keep them in their respective boxes.
你搞砸了

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 15:29:35 »
I have one of these in my living room near my PC: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20129592/

I store w/e I'm not using in those drawers sorted by form factor. The best part is even if they're not in boxes, they don't get dusty. Plus there's so much storage I keep my extra peripherals and whatnot in there too.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 18:13:21 »
Since I mostly collect 60% keyboards, I use the clear plastic shoeboxes from The Container Store (link). I can usually fit two keyboards per box if I put some padding between them.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 18:43:41 »
I give them to the friendly keyboard ferengi on praxis seven for safekeeping.

Offline wharrislv

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 22:12:29 »
I have one of these in my living room near my PC: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20129592/

I store w/e I'm not using in those drawers sorted by form factor. The best part is even if they're not in boxes, they don't get dusty. Plus there's so much storage I keep my extra peripherals and whatnot in there too.

Thats a good idea, just dedicating a few drawers in a larger dresser might work out well for me, I've got some other stuff that could go in there and it'd be easy to keep everything organized.  Thank you!

Current daily drivers : HHKB Pro 2, HHKB Lite in a server rack, A few Filco numpads in brown and blue, Pure Pro in Brown with Rainbow PBT, CM Ninja in Brown with white engaved PBTs, two Model Ms 89 and 91 with a few red esc, Ergodox full in clear with blanks, a jdcarpe built 40% awaiting some Round 6 keycaps, and soon a Gon custom.  Hundreds more on site at a mechanical friendly work site where I am the purchaser.  If it exists, I probably have used one!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 05:13:57 »
I have Blu ray movie shelving that I use for my 60%s. love it.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 10:32:15 »

Do you have a picture of it you could share?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:51:55 »

Here you go!

All I own are 60% boards so any board Im not using fits perfect. Love it. :) Right next to my Computer desk.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:53:57 »

Here you go!

Show Image

All I own are 60% boards so any board Im not using fits perfect. Love it. :) Right next to my Computer desk.

DROOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIINNNNGGGGG.gif

Really nice solution and completely green with envy.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 18:09:47 »

Here you go!

Show Image

DROOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIINNNNGGGGG.gif

Really nice solution and completely green with envy.

haha awesome response.. :) Thanks! The KMAC Happy has been replaced with a GON Happy. Also have the HHKB Pro!

Yeah the Blu Ray Shelves work awesome. I wish they had backs though!  :thumb:

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 19:34:25 »
Damn, that's a good idea, Dustin.  I might have to copy this.  :-*

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 19:43:52 »

Here you go!

Show Image

That's totally awesome, do you have a link to the one you got?

Offline voided

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 21:58:56 »
I tried finding a suitable box size for storing keyboards, but nothing available from local box suppliers [AUS] at a reasonable price.

Now storing the boards standing up longways in padded bags (bubble bags). The attached cables can also squeeze into the bag, which keeps them from tangling up. And they can even be labeled along the "spine", giving me something like a "keyboard library".  ;D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 22:54:18 »

Here you go!

Show Image

That's totally awesome, do you have a link to the one you got?
Damn, that's a good idea, Dustin.  I might have to copy this.  :-*

Thanks guys! I got them from Best Buy a couple years ago. I cant find them online at the moment.. I have 3 stacked together.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:29:37 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261556135057
You could just store them in one of these