Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1260797 times)

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #800 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 04:13:23 »
60% keyboards look weird. Tenkeyless looks stunted. Full-size looks fine. 122-key equals a whale.
Really? I like 60%s, because you have one coherent field of keys without weird gaps in between.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #801 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 04:34:13 »
60% keyboards look weird. Tenkeyless looks stunted. Full-size looks fine. 122-key equals a whale.
Really? I like 60%s, because you have one coherent field of keys without weird gaps in between.

For some reason i have the longing for keys i never use when i view a 60%. I must have hoarding genes.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline jamster

« Reply #802 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 09:04:29 »
I've watched Dr Who since... the 80s? And most of the old black and white series.

The 'new', recently revived series just sucks complete ass. It's like they've kept everything that was bad and boring out of the old series (campy special effects, which they had an excuse for in the 70s), and tossed out all the stuff that was good (seems every bloody episode is on Earth, or revolves around humans).

Offline Sigmoid

« Reply #803 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 09:07:02 »

I love the IBM PC/XT layout for this very reason - it has a numpad, and yet keeps the whole keyboard in one piece. I've been thinking of doing a brand new keyboard based on this principle, maybe a sculpted SA alpha cluster, and an unsculpted numpad to make it different.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #804 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 09:08:00 »
I guess it's an unpopular opinion then, but I still enjoy the new Doctor Who.  I haven't watched it since the 11th doctor ended, so I still need to see the 12th doctor.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #805 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 11:33:57 »
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #806 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 12:26:57 »
I guess it's an unpopular opinion then, but I still enjoy the new Doctor Who.  I haven't watched it since the 11th doctor ended, so I still need to see the 12th doctor.

Color me surprised YOU like dr. who >.>
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #807 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 12:36:10 »
Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #808 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 13:24:16 »

All Dr. Who is terrible.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #809 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 14:09:40 »
I've watched Dr Who since... the 80s? And most of the old black and white series.

The 'new', recently revived series just sucks complete ass. It's like they've kept everything that was bad and boring out of the old series (campy special effects, which they had an excuse for in the 70s), and tossed out all the stuff that was good (seems every bloody episode is on Earth, or revolves around humans).
Season 1 of the the revived series is a lot more earthy than the later seasons, and the effects get a lot better, in my opinion.

But that's just if you stopped on the early seasons..

For an Unpopular Keyboard opinion thread, this has a lot of Doctor who. :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #810 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 14:15:07 »

Eh, it's mindless and silly.  That's the kind of thing I need after coming home from my job.

Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

RGB only works with Desko.  RGB is hideous a majority of the time, especially with the shades of RGB chosen.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #811 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:12:56 »

Eh, it's mindless and silly.  That's the kind of thing I need after coming home from my job.

Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

RGB only works with Desko.  RGB is hideous a majority of the time, especially with the shades of RGB chosen.
Fully agree with the shades, but it also looks ok on classic beige.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #812 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:14:33 »

Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

Hoffs Pac 62 looks pretty damn nice. I'd count that as a good one.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #813 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:19:22 »

Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

Doesn't it use cmyw?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #814 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:24:17 »

Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

Doesn't it use cmyw?
I'd have to look again, though you're probably right.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #815 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 18:06:53 »

Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

Doesn't it use cmyw?
I'd have to look again, though you're probably right.
It does. People only use the CMYK mod kit w/ dolch
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #816 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 18:16:22 »

Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

I actually think RGB works with everything, and i like the shades of RGB  ^-^

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #817 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 18:34:03 »

Sorry billnye and ivan
cmyk/cmyw look ugly ^-^
Rgb ftw

I actually think RGB works with everything, and i like the shades of RGB  ^-^
Rgb doesn't go with WoB IMO

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #818 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 19:54:59 »

For an Unpopular Keyboard opinion thread, this has a lot of Doctor who.

A keyboard enthusiast and Dr Who fan could have a field day identifying all the keyboards that have appeared (mostly, but not all, in the Tardis) since 1963.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #819 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 20:04:11 »
I think normal model m looks better than industrial model m.  I don't like model m though.
I don't like dolch

Offline Want

« Reply #820 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 21:27:00 »
I don't like dolch
Hell yes! The Dolch gray looks dull and boring.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #821 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 22:07:38 »
I don't like dolch

with or without color pack? cause i don't like it stock but with color pack it blows me away.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #822 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 00:00:18 »
The "budget" Type Heaven is a really nice keyboard. It's solidly constructed and the Topre switches feel great. It makes the Cherry brown-based board I had before feel like garbage.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #823 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 00:06:44 »
I don't like dolch

with or without color pack? cause i don't like it stock but with color pack it blows me away.

Both.  imo, dolch has a too light color for the alpha keys, it may looks good with a little bit lighter modifiers.  Without color pack it looks too boring and dark in color.  The color pack is too bright for dolch, I think it would looks good with a simple BoW set.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #824 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 12:12:40 »
Unpopular opinion: Ergoclears feel weird and mushy and gross. I'm not sure if it's the spring weight or the lube, but probably the lube since I tried two different spring weights and thought both were... Mushy. I like stock clears so much better.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #825 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:59:08 »
Translucent artisan keycaps are poo. You cannot see the detail IRL from a seated position using your keyboard. Only works when you hold it up just right to the light or are using a macro setting on the camera. Or maybe I'm just blind. And stupid.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #826 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 14:02:39 »
Translucent artisan keycaps are poo. You cannot see the detail IRL from a seated position using your keyboard. Only works when you hold it up just right to the light or are using a macro setting on the camera. Or maybe I'm just blind. And stupid.

They work best on a board with backlighting. Otherwise yeah you need to hold them to light or set up for a photo. XD
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
« Reply #827 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 15:07:17 »
Unpopular opinion: Ergoclears feel weird and mushy and gross. I'm not sure if it's the spring weight or the lube, but probably the lube since I tried two different spring weights and thought both were... Mushy. I like stock clears so much better.

Really? I'm worried now, because I was planning to mod my FC6660M to ergo clears with 62g. Personally I felt that stock clears didn't have any 'definition', they were just kind of - mushy.
Is this a popular-unpopular opinion, or just an unpopular opinion?

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #828 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 15:08:55 »

Really? I'm worried now, because I was planning to mod my FC6660M to ergo clears with 62g. Personally I felt that stock clears didn't have any 'definition', they were just kind of - mushy.

I've heard one other person dislike ergo clears as being too light, but never mushy.

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
« Reply #829 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 15:43:05 »
Light I can definitely handle, on the other hand, mechanicals are too expensive for mushiness

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #830 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:05:04 »
mechanicals are too expensive for mushiness

Then how do you explain Topre?

*assumes fighting stance*

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #831 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:44:12 »
It isn't cool or funny to post box pics. Just stop.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #832 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:50:59 »
It isn't cool or funny to post box pics. Just stop.
I agree, its just a tease :C

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #833 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:52:49 »
mechanicals are too expensive for mushiness

Then how do you explain Topre?

*assumes fighting stance*
My 55g HHKB is anything but mushy! I will fight anyone who says otherwise  :))

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #834 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 17:44:14 »
Light I can definitely handle, on the other hand, mechanicals are too expensive for mushiness

I have only tried ergo clears on a test board on a tour, but, as of now, I believe that the top-shelf Cherry experience would be either lubed ergo clears, or "jailhouse" greens, with thin soft O-rings in either case.

But I am not a Cherry guy anyway, so what do I know?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #835 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 22:14:07 »
i think the hhkb hg with the brown painted(lacquer?) keycaps look extremely ugly.

all the korean keyboards look the same to me, except few.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 22:18:02 by jonathanyu »

Offline tufty

« Reply #836 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 10:45:59 »
you need to set light to them. XD
FTFY.

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #837 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 16:35:58 »

No need to worry, go ahead with the mod and it will bring you much pleasure.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #838 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 16:57:27 »
Cherry sucks. Cherry on topre is a keyboard sin.

Burn the heathens.

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #839 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 16:59:59 »
My keyboard is better than your keyboard.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #840 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:19:41 »
Topre purists need to get out the past.

And SA profile is ****ing ugly looking. It's overly tall and just unappealing IMO.

I haven't had a chance to type on a SA set, though.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #841 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:45:51 »

And SA profile is ****ing ugly looking. It's overly tall and just unappealing IMO.

You I like, though my HHKB is currently my favorite

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #842 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:51:49 »

no it isn't,  you lie..

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #843 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 19:40:08 »
Kailhs are nicer than Cherry. There, I said it.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #844 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 19:49:33 »

Hrrmm?

first time hearing this..

what about them specifically

Offline dante

« Reply #845 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 21:29:41 »

Hrrmm?

first time hearing this..

what about them specifically

They make you feel all gangster and ****.  Like you are from a Asian hood.  They go well with a hoodie and torn jeans.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #846 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 22:07:29 »

no it isn't,  you lie..

It is.  And the Ergodox sucks.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #847 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 22:24:03 »
Ergodox sux, HHKB is the king, baby..  :-*

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #848 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 23:28:10 »
I don't see the appeal of HHKB or Torpes with its demanding price.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #849 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 23:33:25 »
I don't see the appeal of HHKB or Torpes with its demanding price.
You know what else can be demanding? Your mom, but you still love her, don't you?  :))