Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1266967 times)

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #5200 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 01:25:34 »
Maybe the reason for so many 60% boards is that at $1+ per switch, it's easier to fill a smaller board with the next hot Panda
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline tucvbif

« Reply #5201 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 10:15:13 »
Why nobody puts something on the sides of keyboard? Espetially, rotary encoders? IMO, it looks and feels more suitable than on top side, along with keys.

Also why nobody places shift keys next to spacebar? Despite this, some people prefer longer spacebar, like 7x? IMO, 4.5u is the most optimal length for spacebar, and thumbs is more convienment for handling shift modifiers, than pinkies. But why nobody make keyboards this way for regular, not split, keyboards?

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5202 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 15:40:25 »
Also why nobody places shift keys next to spacebar? Despite this, some people prefer longer spacebar, like 7x? IMO, 4.5u is the most optimal length for spacebar, and thumbs is more convienment for handling shift modifiers, than pinkies. But why nobody make keyboards this way for regular, not split, keyboards?

The format/layout of non-alphanumerics is an interesting topic.  Looking at my thumbs when I type a 3u spacebar would seem like an ideal size, and anything larger wouldn't work well with your proposed thumb-shift keys.  A larger central spacebar with shifts on either side would require awkwardly curling thumbs under the palm to do the shifts - particularly for T and Y.  On the other hand, you could just swap shift/spacebar and have a 3u shift key bottom center for your thumbs, and make the traditional pinkie shift keys into spacebars.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2020, 15:42:00 by bkrownd »

Offline yui

« Reply #5203 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 15:52:12 »
Maybe the reason for so many 60% boards is that at $1+ per switch, it's easier to fill a smaller board with the next hot Panda
i do feel like gateron reds (silent) are plenty good enough felt scratchy far about a month and now only the least used keys feel scratchy, i do not really see the point of the really expensive mx compatible switches, when there are other better options that exists and are cheaper (like bs and alps for clicky, opto/hall for linear and well good rubber domes for tactile)
although i have not used other MX compatible switches as extensively as the gateron silent reds, as i hated browns and have not yet built a full keyboard with kailh bronze, i do not feel like spending more on switches for the same basic tech is the way to go.
and yeah i do not have that huge of a collection yet but i have tried more mx incompatible than compatible, so not completely mad here.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5204 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 19:05:23 »
In my view, switches are the most important part, and there's no point in building a board if it has mediocre or sub-mediocre switches.

So yeah, I can understand the 60% thing. If switches cost a dollar each, and then there's springs, labour, and lube...

I'm building some silent Bobas, and I'm glad it's for a 65% and not a 100%.

Offline Atomical

« Reply #5205 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 21:13:56 »
I concur gamer boards are the worst. I’ve had 2 in the past and you can hear the stabilizer rattle across the planet it’s so bad.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5206 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 21:53:46 »
In my view, switches are the most important part, and there's no point in building a board if it has mediocre or sub-mediocre switches.

So yeah, I can understand the 60% thing. If switches cost a dollar each, and then there's springs, labour, and lube...

I'm building some silent Bobas, and I'm glad it's for a 65% and not a 100%.

The effort of building a board is so high in terms of faffing about time, that the cost of 60 vs a hundred switches is pretty minor, imo. I can understand not wanting to pay, say, Zeal prices for a very minor difference in feel, but I would have thought that the driving factor to decide between keyboard sizes would be layout preference versus cost.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5207 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 23:02:31 »
I think that a huge number of those who're building their keyboards are young enough with enough time and make little enough money that their time is free.

For example, my garage door opener stripped a gear. I can fix it with a $5 part, but it will take me all day and stress me out. I can pay a guy $175 to do it and I sleep, so he's coming over next weekend.

Tell that to Funkmon circa 2011 and he'd be aghast at how much money Funkmon circa 2020 wasted, but I'm fine with it.

I remember that time; it wasn't even that long ago. I had a budget of $160 and I wanted X, so I had to essentially do it myself and it was kludged together ****. And, that's fine. I had a hard dollar limit and my time was flexible.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5208 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 23:05:46 »
I think that a huge number of those who're building their keyboards are young enough with enough time and make little enough money that their time is free.

For example, my garage door opener stripped a gear. I can fix it with a $5 part, but it will take me all day and stress me out. I can pay a guy $175 to do it and I sleep, so he's coming over next weekend.

Tell that to Funkmon circa 2011 and he'd be aghast at how much money Funkmon circa 2020 wasted, but I'm fine with it.

I remember that time; it wasn't even that long ago. I had a budget of $160 and I wanted X, so I had to essentially do it myself and it was kludged together ****. And, that's fine. I had a hard dollar limit and my time was flexible.

....that's actually a totally valid point. I've forgotten what it's like to have unlimited free time.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5209 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 06:40:03 »
Ah, to be young again ... having effectively infinite free time, learning like crazy, being insanely productive, packing 100 hours into a day, so many possibilities/options to chose from, and feeling rich despite earning only pennies.   

In contrast, being old is kinda like spending decades practicing for death. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 06:42:30 by bkrownd »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5210 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 07:37:43 »
Ah, to be young again ... having effectively infinite free time, learning like crazy, being insanely productive, packing 100 hours into a day, so many possibilities/options to chose from, and feeling rich despite earning only pennies.   

In contrast, being old is kinda like spending decades practicing for death.

Nobody's time is actually free. It is only apparent. Somebody, somewhere, is paying for it.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5211 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 09:02:58 »
So I guess being a father and working a full time job, I should have no time to build a board?  Yet I still managed to pull it off and starting on modding another.  It's called time management.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #5212 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 09:05:31 »
60% keyboards are for people who only care about their keyboard for gaming. 

Really?  60% doesn't have dedicated function keys, and some games are awkward to play without them.   I switched from a programming-oriented 60% format to a 75%/84-key just so I could get dedicated function and print screen keys for games.
the only key i really miss going from 122 to 65 keys is print screen, mostly because i never know where it is on my 2nd layer, so i need to check in via... and as the laptop keyboard is not too far, i often use that instead, i never thought that going to 60% would be that easy. although i never game on it as it was built for the ground up to be a silent work keyboard, so i can't talk for gamers, at home i game on the laptop keyboard or an M when i can be asked to plug it in, and when the game needs a kb (i am not a gamer i only play tower defense once or twice a week and once in a blue moon i will cut the folding on my gaming pc to play a game but with covid and one of the pc dying it has become much rarer)

I haven't used print screen since the snip tool came out. What do you use it for?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5213 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 09:06:25 »

Really?  60% doesn't have dedicated function keys, and some games are awkward to play without them.   I switched from a programming-oriented 60% format to a 75%/84-key just so I could get dedicated function and print screen keys for games.
the only key i really miss going from 122 to 65 keys is print screen, mostly because i never know where it is on my 2nd layer, so i need to check in via... and as the laptop keyboard is not too far, i often use that instead, i never thought that going to 60% would be that easy. although i never game on it as it was built for the ground up to be a silent work keyboard, so i can't talk for gamers, at home i game on the laptop keyboard or an M when i can be asked to plug it in, and when the game needs a kb (i am not a gamer i only play tower defense once or twice a week and once in a blue moon i will cut the folding on my gaming pc to play a game but with covid and one of the pc dying it has become much rarer)

I haven't used print screen since the snip tool came out. What do you use it for?

Yeah I stopped all that madness and just loaded up Light Shot to capture what I need.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #5214 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 09:51:45 »

I use the print screen button to trigger greenshot - or rather printscrn in tandem with other keys depending on which of greenshot's functions I want to use
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline yui

« Reply #5215 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 01:42:30 »

well print screen is one key and instant (well 2 now with the 65%) and so i find it faster than the windows tool, and, also, i only use windows at work, linux at home and the screenshot tools are quite often by default triggered by the, you guest it, print screen key. so that is why i still use it.

Offline exime

« Reply #5216 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 16:32:05 »
Much prefer brown over blue.  less tiring. no annoying click.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5217 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:08:52 »
We shouldn't have to pay for smartphones,  They should PAY US to use them.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5218 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:09:07 »
Ergonomics is the closest thing to fascism keyboarding has to offer.

We shouldn't have to pay for smartphones,  They should PAY US to use them.
But that defeats the whole point of apple products. Their only selling point is that they're massively overpriced. They've nothing else going for them, after all.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5219 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:09:57 »

More Ergodox please.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5220 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:11:25 »

More Ergodox please.

Show Image

This week I'm reviewing an "ergonomic" keyboard that is a nice example of everything that's wrong with ergonomics. The comments will be a nice example of everything that's wrong with the people that use ergonomic products :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5221 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:15:16 »
This week I'm reviewing an "ergonomic" keyboard that is a nice example of everything that's wrong with ergonomics. The comments will be a nice example of everything that's wrong with the people that use ergonomic products :p .

You are wrong.  ERGODOX4Lyfe

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5222 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:16:09 »

I bet it's HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIDEOUS!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:18:30 by bkrownd »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5223 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:25:49 »

I bet it's HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIDEOUS!

LIESSSSssss..    ERgonomic keebs are most beautiful.

Flat boards = plebugly

Offline cheater

« Reply #5224 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 17:46:36 »
No idea if that's so unpopular, but I find the Model M just mushy, and not very satisfying to type on.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5225 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 18:31:31 »
No idea if that's so unpopular, but I find the Model M just mushy, and not very satisfying to type on.

How fast is your attack, if you go slow alot of keys are mushy / grindy.

Offline cheater

« Reply #5226 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 18:46:07 »

No idea how to describe this in a quantifiable way..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5227 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 19:07:20 »

How fast is your attack

I learned to type on a manual mechanical typewriter in the mid-late-1960s. There was a complex but logical technique wherein you raised the forearm, then plunged the hand and forearm downward. As you began the stroke itself you flexed the hand downwards and snapped at the wrist to "spear" the key with the fingertip in order to generate enough force to activate it. Our prehistoric forebears fabricated the atlatl to facilitate a similar motion in their hunting.

When we advanced to the second semester, we were allowed to type on the magnificent ultra-modern "IBM Selectric" typewriter which required much less force, but the teacher still watched to ensure that we were using the "proper" technique.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5228 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 20:28:21 »

How fast is your attack

I learned to type on a manual mechanical typewriter in the mid-late-1960s. There was a complex but logical technique wherein you raised the forearm, then plunged the hand and forearm downward. As you began the stroke itself you flexed the hand downwards and snapped at the wrist to "spear" the key with the fingertip in order to generate enough force to activate it. Our prehistoric forebears fabricated the atlatl to facilitate a similar motion in their hunting.

When we advanced to the second semester, we were allowed to type on the magnificent ultra-modern "IBM Selectric" typewriter which required much less force, but the teacher still watched to ensure that we were using the "proper" technique.

This comment belong to a technological history museum.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5229 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 22:42:43 »

Then hit it faster, until it doesn't feel mushy anymore.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5230 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 00:35:48 »

In high school 30 of us hammered away on Selectrics in a school room for 45 minutes a day in "keyboarding" class, through two quarters of "Keyboarding 1" and "Keyboarding 2".  (the only D grade I ever got in school)  When people complain about "noisy" keyboards today I get a little smirk on my face. 

Offline yui

« Reply #5231 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 00:50:17 »
and what version of the M you got? there exists a rubber dome version of the M, and that would most definitely be mushy. other than that, yeah the M is not for everyone, it is rather heavy weighted and the case is not always the best quality.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5232 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 21:48:59 »
Maybe this isn't terribly unpopular, but I have been thinking this for a while now:

Macropads are for when you've basically bought a keyboard that doesn't have enough keys in the first place.

Been seeing ICs/GBs for weird little macropads, where you basically end up with another corded item that clutters your desk space much less efficiently than a slightly larger keyboard.  I figure this is when keyboards move past the practical and into the realm of decorative items.

I get it with separate numberpads- you can place them on the left or out of the way of the mouse, I only miss one when entering lots of IP addresses or Excel work (and recently went back to a dedicated numberpad anyway). But those weird little 4 or 6 button CNC'd macropads- beyond desktop jewellery, just why? Use layers, use a board that's over 60%, get a board with those extra function keys down the left hand side or something.

Offline yui

« Reply #5233 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 05:07:25 »
talk to Taran from LTT :)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH1gH0v9E3ruYrNyRbHhDe6XDfw4sZdZr
he got multiples 100% keyboards worth of macros :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5234 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 13:56:01 »

I'd say maybe unpopular amongst the general populous, but amongst more discerning vintage people yeah the Model F is definitely miles better than the M
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5235 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 14:59:46 »
Maybe this isn't terribly unpopular, but I have been thinking this for a while now:

Macropads are for when you've basically bought a keyboard that doesn't have enough keys in the first place.

Been seeing ICs/GBs for weird little macropads, where you basically end up with another corded item that clutters your desk space much less efficiently than a slightly larger keyboard.  I figure this is when keyboards move past the practical and into the realm of decorative items.

I get it with separate numberpads- you can place them on the left or out of the way of the mouse, I only miss one when entering lots of IP addresses or Excel work (and recently went back to a dedicated numberpad anyway). But those weird little 4 or 6 button CNC'd macropads- beyond desktop jewellery, just why? Use layers, use a board that's over 60%, get a board with those extra function keys down the left hand side or something.

Other MK's items and features are purely aesthetic that is good for those that like them. What is hard to understand is the need for some people to justify them based on functional arguments. That does not make sense.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5236 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 15:06:19 »

I understand what you're saying, but firstly, as ideus already said, people can enjoy things for purely aesthetic purposes and not everyone is a strict utilitarian. But from a functional perspective, small boards and macro pad combos offer a level of modularity that allows you to better customize the footprint on your desk. And say someone needs the partial functionality of a numpad but doesn't need the whole thing, why would it not make more sense for them to have a smaller keypad?

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #5237 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 18:08:14 »
The heatshrink on the connectors of custom USB-C cables look ugly as hell, and make a cable that costs multiple times more than even the most fancy regular cables look way, way worse.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5238 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 21:52:13 »

I understand what you're saying, but firstly, as ideus already said, people can enjoy things for purely aesthetic purposes and not everyone is a strict utilitarian. But from a functional perspective, small boards and macro pad combos offer a level of modularity that allows you to better customize the footprint on your desk. And say someone needs the partial functionality of a numpad but doesn't need the whole thing, why would it not make more sense for them to have a smaller keypad?

Oh, I understand and totally recognise that aesthetics are a valid reason for keyboard choices (says the guy who is currently typing on a board with DCS keycaps, some of which came as blanks and have the symbols drawn on them with permanent marker).

Still, I have bought things with aesthetics in mind. Most keycap sets are really down to aesthetics, for starters.

What I find odd though is that people will go to some lengths to avoid admitting that it's a pure aesthetic choice, and pull out imaginary functional reasons instead- more efficient use of desk space, or portability. If someone uses a macropad, this space saving disappears (it's way less efficient than a larger board, then you've got extra cable clutter), and having asked about it before it seems that almost nobody really uses their keyboard in a portable fashion.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5239 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 23:35:08 »
What I find odd though is that people will go to some lengths to avoid admitting that it's a pure aesthetic choice, and pull out imaginary functional reasons instead- more efficient use of desk space, or portability. If someone uses a macropad, this space saving disappears (it's way less efficient than a larger board, then you've got extra cable clutter), and having asked about it before it seems that almost nobody really uses their keyboard in a portable fashion.

I mean a macropad frees you up to decide where that extra space goes, which is especially useful if you'd rather have those extra keys all to the left of your board for more mousepad space, whereas a larger keyboard is fixed. I also don't really understand your point about losing the space-saving functionality; a 60% + a keypad is still going to be smaller than or about the same size as a fullsize or an 1800.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5240 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 01:40:52 »

Or maybe you love your regular keyboard for 97% of what you do and don't want to toss it out on account of some usage situation that only comes up about 3% of the time? 

Offline jamster

« Reply #5241 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 02:51:49 »

I mean a macropad frees you up to decide where that extra space goes, which is especially useful if you'd rather have those extra keys all to the left of your board for more mousepad space, whereas a larger keyboard is fixed. I also don't really understand your point about losing the space-saving functionality; a 60% + a keypad is still going to be smaller than or about the same size as a fullsize or an 1800.

Yes, which is why I made that comment about keyboards with the strip of macro keys down the left. Never really been into them myself, but I do think they are a great idea for anyone who needs macro/additional keys.

This discussion does make me wonder how common macropads are. They do seem a bit of a niche within a niche, just going on the proportion of ICs/GBs on here.

I did get a free macropad with my current keyboard... it was a comedy 1-key pad, which I am guessing was intended as more of a curio than a serious product.

Personally, when I used a separate number pad for while, I found that it really didn't work for me. Turns out that muscle memory was impossible to hardcode with a free floating pad, they numberpad really needs be in a totally fixed position for me to use without glancing down. I've managed to achieve this with my current board with the numberpad kind of embedded in the midst of the alphas, but the only thing the discrete floating number pad taught me was how poor MX Browns were (it was the only MX Brown board I've owned).
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2020, 02:53:42 by jamster »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5242 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 06:59:33 »

Yes, which is why I made that comment about keyboards with the strip of macro keys down the left. Never really been into them myself, but I do think they are a great idea for anyone who needs macro/additional keys.

Still ignoring the modularity and ability to adjust the configuration however you please rather than be constrained to a fixed layout.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5243 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 07:53:37 »

Still ignoring the modularity and ability to adjust the configuration however you please rather than be constrained to a fixed layout.

Okay then, so I have described my actual use case in terms of external macropads which then migrated back into my daily keyboard.

Do you use a macropad on a daily basis, or are we talking hand wavy hypotheticals here? 'Cause to me the 'tiny keyboard + macropad is smaller than a 104 board' sounds like a straw man argument, I certainly never suggested that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2020, 07:55:18 by jamster »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5244 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 08:54:52 »

Okay then, so I have described my actual use case in terms of external macropads which then migrated back into my daily keyboard.

Do you use a macropad on a daily basis, or are we talking hand wavy hypotheticals here? 'Cause to me the 'tiny keyboard + macropad is smaller than a 104 board' sounds like a straw man argument, I certainly never suggested that.

I've used plenty of macropads and keypads + modular keyboards over the years, yes. How is anything we're talking about "hand-wavy hypotheticals"? People, including myself, are literally utilizing modular setups with accessory boards right now to accomplish exactly what I have described, you just can't seem to comprehend that other users have different needs and goals from yourself. Even if I didn't use them personally, that doesn't limit my ability to understand the concept.

it's way less efficient than a larger board

ugh what a horrible straw man I have conjured up out of nowhere (or maybe it's just an example that illustrates a broader point of why people are interested in macropads)

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5245 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 12:03:03 »
All the same people who used to buy $200 Corsairs, laugh at people with $20 rubber dome keyboards, and parrot everything Linus Techtip Sebastian said are now buying $500 "eNdGaMe" keyboards, laughing at people with gamer/KBDfans stuff, and parroting everything Taeha says. It's more about stunting than chasing new experiences or making something that looks and feels nice for a lot of people.

Offline yrneh

« Reply #5246 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 21:19:49 »
All the same people who used to buy $200 Corsairs, laugh at people with $20 rubber dome keyboards, and parrot everything Linus Techtip Sebastian said are now buying $500 "eNdGaMe" keyboards, laughing at people with gamer/KBDfans stuff, and parroting everything Taeha says. It's more about stunting than chasing new experiences or making something that looks and feels nice for a lot of people.
The same people that do this are the same people that like to flex their money with "hype" clothing.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5247 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 21:20:16 »

reddit in a nutshell

Offline jamster

« Reply #5248 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 23:47:22 »
I've used plenty of macropads and keypads + modular keyboards over the years, yes. How is anything we're talking about "hand-wavy hypotheticals"? People, including myself, are literally utilizing modular setups with accessory boards right now to accomplish exactly what I have described, you just can't seem to comprehend that other users have different needs and goals from yourself. Even if I didn't use them personally, that doesn't limit my ability to understand the concept.

ugh what a horrible straw man I have conjured up out of nowhere (or maybe it's just an example that illustrates a broader point of why people are interested in macropads)

Well, then I am glad that I have so posted an opinion that is suitable for the thread topic, and have clearly touched a nerve.

I still think that for the most part, macropads as popularised in the ICs and GBs here are silly.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 December 2020, 23:49:10 by jamster »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5249 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 23:55:10 »

Well, then I am glad that I have so posted an opinion that is suitable for the thread topic, and have clearly touched a nerve.

I still think that for the most part, macropads as popularised in the ICs and GBs here are silly.

haha I was gonna say your post was definitely right for this thread