Author Topic: How do you manage your multiple keyboards?  (Read 35244 times)

Offline treefinger

Re: How do you manage your multiple keyboards?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:06:08 »
I try to find time to rotate keyboards, but it can be difficult. I try to be consistent with switch type and computer activity, e.g. Cherry Blacks for FPS games, Reds for RTS, Blues for typing at home, Topre at work (programmer by trade). This may mean swapping out a lot, but it gives me a good excuse to change boards :)

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:21:41 »
I try to find time to rotate keyboards, but it can be difficult. I try to be consistent with switch type and computer activity, e.g. Cherry Blacks for FPS games, Reds for RTS, Blues for typing at home, Topre at work (programmer by trade). This may mean swapping out a lot, but it gives me a good excuse to change boards :)

Which topre?

Offline treefinger

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:25:35 »
Which topre?

A Realforce 104UB black on black - she's my baby, I love her so.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 12:11:50 »
both of my full-size keyboards now have legends because my girlfriend uses my computer quite often (almost as much as i do) and she's too lazy to swap out the keyboards. the ducky shine 5 has the tai hao miamis and the wasd v2 has side-printed mints. generally i'll end up unplugging whatever keyboard is plugged in and use my pok3r (which is generally in my backpack)
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 22:59:51 »
At first I had two on my desk, then after I got to 4 they now go in the closet.

Right now on my G80.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 23:05:00 »
I rotate pretty randomly. I have a few mech keyboards and I have older membrane keyboards that still feel nice to type on. I have a little cabinet to put them in and that's where I store them. But there's still maybe a couple that are strewn about on my desk that I switch out with the main one. A lot of it has to do with the kind of keyboard sound I want to hear. And since there's a fair bit of variety of switches, I can finish typing like a paragraph and switch to something else. It's weird doing it on sound, but that's why I do it haha

So fancy!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 05:33:29 »
I have no routines or patterns... I just get them all out now and then, rub my hands together, cackle, and say "My Precious!"
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline dummytim

• Keyboards = Life
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:51:40 »
I have no routines or patterns... I just get them all out now and then, rub my hands together, cackle, and say "My Precious!"

I do this pretty often too!

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:00:29 »

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 01:16:12 »
...And I try not to drool on the ones that don't have protective covers.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 01:26:59 »
Mine just sit lonely in their boxes.
This is sad  :(
Custom 60%: Cherry MX blues with 62g gold springs and PBT Black on Black dyesub keycaps.

Other Keyboards: Deck Hassium Pro (MX Browns), the underated Leopold FC660M (MX Browns)

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 04:38:13 »
I currently only have a single keyboard, but will soon get a new one. The pok3r in white with clears, and when I get that ill retire this one to my Rpi I guess as I am trying to set up a space for my Rpi where I can use linux whenever im not using my main machine. however im not using multiple keyboards atm but I have been using 2 mice and a tablet for a while, I have the G400s and MX master from logitech and I mostly only use my G400s for gaming and for everything else I use the Master. the tablet is used for Osu! (rythm game) and school work, doodling notes and such.
TP4 fanboy

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 06:45:57 »
I built up my collection to have what I consider the best for each usage type, and switch accordingly.

356 Mini or Realforce 55g for in the office working. (exclusively the Mini for the past couple months)

Model F for at-home working.

Filco or Realforce for games (pretty rare lately). Filco has been in my drawer at work so the Realforce has been there for the rare times I'm not using my XBox controller.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:47:14 »
I currently only have a single keyboard, but will soon get a new one. The pok3r in white with clears, and when I get that ill retire this one to my Rpi I guess as I am trying to set up a space for my Rpi where I can use linux whenever im not using my main machine. however im not using multiple keyboards atm but I have been using 2 mice and a tablet for a while, I have the G400s and MX master from logitech and I mostly only use my G400s for gaming and for everything else I use the Master. the tablet is used for Osu! (rythm game) and school work, doodling notes and such.
Welcome to GH!

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:53:03 »
I have an old record player cabinet. The top lid holds two tenkeyless boards perfectly (Realforce and Filco currently) as well as provide easy access for switching boards, and there are three cupboards below that store my 60%'s and keycap sets, etc.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 14:25:57 »
For now I type on my RS96 and leave my two Pok3rs to collect dust. I have three boards coming that I have to build, curious to see how much use they're all going to get.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline dummytim

• Keyboards = Life
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 14:30:31 »
For now I type on my RS96 and leave my two Pok3rs to collect dust. I have three boards coming that I have to build, curious to see how much use they're all going to get.

If you have a bunch of boards collecting dust, why don't you just sell them? :P

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 14:33:24 »

I've been planning to sell them,  I even added LEDs in my two Pok3rs so they would probably sell even faster. I'm honestly just too lazy and don't know where the post office is up at my college. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 14:47:49 »

I've been planning to sell them,  I even added LEDs in my two Pok3rs so they would probably sell even faster. I'm honestly just too lazy and don't know where the post office is up at my college. :p
Forget going to the post office, you can prepare a shipment for shipment online for USPS, UPS, and Fedex.  The only time I ever go there is to drop one of them off. ;)

Offline dummytim

• Keyboards = Life
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:59:33 »

Forget going to the post office, you can prepare a shipment for shipment online for USPS, UPS, and Fedex.  The only time I ever go there is to drop one of them off. ;)

Don't they have like a pick up service, where if you've already printed your label and everything they'll just grab the package?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 03:52:14 »

Better still, put something over them to keep the dust off!  Even a tea towel will do.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 13:17:51 »

Don't they have like a pick up service, where if you've already printed your label and everything they'll just grab the package?
Any of them will pick up for free if they're doing a delivery too.  UPS and Fedex charge for a pickup.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 13:44:10 »
Right now I have one main board for my desktop - a Ducky G2 Pro.  I just use the laptop's keyboard for the laptop.  My Model M and SGI Granite are stored in the closet with a couple MS Ergo models and a Sun Type 5 board. 

I've used the Granite and Model M a bit prior to having the Ducky but most definitely missed having media controls and the Windows key.  I've realized that both are a must for me.  Neither lasted long for use and I went back to the MS Ergo 4000 until the Ducky was ordered.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 14:12:49 »
Right now I have one main board for my desktop - a Ducky G2 Pro.  I just use the laptop's keyboard for the laptop.  My Model M and SGI Granite are stored in the closet with a couple MS Ergo models and a Sun Type 5 board. 

I've used the Granite and Model M a bit prior to having the Ducky but most definitely missed having media controls and the Windows key.  I've realized that both are a must for me.  Neither lasted long for use and I went back to the MS Ergo 4000 until the Ducky was ordered.
I love Model Ms, so keep me in mind if you're thinking of getting rid of it. ;)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:37:50 »

Heh, I have two more rescues from the bin at work.  Definitely something to consider.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:22:20 »
I always want to buy more keyboards (Topre, ergo clear 60% with metal case, buckling spring etc) even though I have no idea why I need more keyboards. I can't really find a use case for them. I don't have multiple computers or work places.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 22:33:02 »
I always want to buy more keyboards (Topre, ergo clear 60% with metal case, buckling spring etc) even though I have no idea why I need more keyboards. I can't really find a use case for them. I don't have multiple computers or work places.

LOL I don't have a real reason for having more than a couple to be honest, but the appeal of getting new keyboards and experiencing different switches/brands/sizes is just so enticing.
So fancy!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 22:51:19 »

LOL I don't have a real reason for having more than a couple to be honest, but the appeal of getting new keyboards and experiencing different switches/brands/sizes is just so enticing.

If anything I probably have less reason for owning multiple keyboards than non-enthusiasts given that by being a mostly 60% user I can take my keyboard to work without any real issue

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 23:13:35 »

If anything I probably have less reason for owning multiple keyboards than non-enthusiasts given that by being a mostly 60% user I can take my keyboard to work without any real issue

Hahaha alternatively, even as a mostly 60% user, it would help to have backups in case your super portable daily driver somehow has a problem. Just throwing it out there.
So fancy!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 23:16:54 »

Hahaha alternatively, even as a mostly 60% user, it would help to have backups in case your super portable daily driver somehow has a problem. Just throwing it out there.

I already have 4 60% backups with 2 more on the way lol

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 10:29:29 »

Heh, I have two more rescues from the bin at work.  Definitely something to consider.
I can give them a good home where they'll be connected to a system and used regularly.  :thumb:

I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of systems for different purposes, some old, some really old, but all working and doing a job.  So since they're working and need a keyboard, the Ms I have are almost all connected.

I do want to try other switches though, and since the resale value of a used keyboard is essentially what you paid for it, the small price of shipping is a good way to 'feel' your way around.  :thumb:

I already have 4 60% backups with 2 more on the way lol
lol!  Can never have too many backups. ;)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:20:52 »
Honestly, if I had multiple systems like that I'd probably just get a KVM switch and use that with them.

Offline Wolfseye

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:44:48 »
I currently have 3, all Ducky. One is 60%, the others are full. And I have an old Qpad somewhere, that's it. But I only keep that in case of emergency.

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX-Blue/Green LEDs) - Ducky Shine 3 (MX-Red/Pink LEDs) - Ducky Shine 4 (MX-Blue/Red&Blue LEDs) - CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX-Brown/White LEDs) - TTeSports Poseidon Z RGB (Kailh-Blue)

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 14:24:41 »
I only have 2 and I can't even rotate it well mostly just stick with Pok3r and my Ducky is only sitting in a box.
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 09:45:36 »
Since my passion is 60%, I've found that the Container Store Shoe Box works perfectly for most of my boards. With a layer of foam in between them, I find that I can fit two boards in one box.

For the day-to-day, I have one of intelli78's hard cases that I use in my office to store an alternative keyboard. Towards the end-of-the-day, I swap out my daily driver with something different. Today it'll be my Duck Viper.  :cool:

Offline dan002

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:20:11 »
Interesting that you posted a picture of a shoe box because this thread was reminding me of shoe collectors.

New thread, how do you rotate your shoe collection  :)
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 15:23:53 »
I only have 2 and I can't even rotate it well mostly just stick with Pok3r and my Ducky is only sitting in a box.

I just stick to my Pok3r too.

Offline E3E

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:07:37 »
Well, ever since I got my cases for the Lightpad and Octagon that are my typical daily drivers, I have been able to rotate freely.

I love the cases btw:

Wish I had cases for all my boards!

Anyway. I feel like nothing really beats the feel of typing on my Octagon, even though I prefer Alps. There's just something about the Octagon that kind of enchants me. Might be the pretty lights, the Jukebox key set, vintage blacks, or the heavy aluminum case, but it's still my overall favorite. We'll see if this changes at all when my Hammer case finally comes in for my 60% Alps Eagle project.

In any case, there are times I have a serious nostalgia trip and really want to use my old Dell AT101 which is only slightly younger than me or my Fame which is certainly older than me. Something about using boards that I've not only lovingly restored, but that have been workhorses and utilitarian for people a generation before me really makes me enjoy them quite a bit.

Also, it's kind of nice typing on a bygone switch family like Alps.

Just my rambling two cents.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:09:30 by E3E »

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:46:55 »
I keep their boxes in a larger box and cycle them as I get bored
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 00:55:09 »
Interesting that you posted a picture of a shoe box because this thread was reminding me of shoe collectors.

New thread, how do you rotate your shoe collection  :)

Great, now I've got an urge to go hit up Styleforums and look at those collections of $1000-and-up shoes.  Dammit!

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 03:21:51 »
Welcome to GH!

Wow I feel really bad for not having seen this reply until now.. Thank you for welcoming me, I have been mostly lurking here, but I have one or two posts. I like this community alot, its not too big and people here are really friendly from what I have seen.
TP4 fanboy

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 10:06:17 »
Welcome to GH!

Wow I feel really bad for not having seen this reply until now.. Thank you for welcoming me, I have been mostly lurking here, but I have one or two posts. I like this community alot, its not too big and people here are really friendly from what I have seen.
All good. :thumb: 

I agree that it's a great community--some of the friendliest people I've ever seen on any forum.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 15:38:52 »
Having just one usable board right now I don't even have to feel like I'm wasting money just letting boards sit on the shelf :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline E3E

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 15:56:02 »
I'm glad that my Hammer Eagle fits in the HHKB case I bought a long time ago in prep for a certain group buy, because I can't stand leaving any boards with heavy aluminum cases out if I'm not using them. They NEED a case. Eventually I'll order another hard case from Intelli again, but the HHKB case fits it nice and snug, thankfully.

I would also like some cases for my full size restored vintages, but Intelli doesn't offer cases for big foot style Alps boards, haha. I was thinking of getting a small musical keyboard case that could fit those boards. I dunno though. I just feel weird when boards are left out and exposed to the... not so harsh elements of my room. :P

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 17:16:13 »
I'm glad that my Hammer Eagle fits in the HHKB case I bought a long time ago in prep for a certain group buy, because I can't stand leaving any boards with heavy aluminum cases out if I'm not using them. They NEED a case. Eventually I'll order another hard case from Intelli again, but the HHKB case fits it nice and snug, thankfully.

I would also like some cases for my full size restored vintages, but Intelli doesn't offer cases for big foot style Alps boards, haha. I was thinking of getting a small musical keyboard case that could fit those boards. I dunno though. I just feel weird when boards are left out and exposed to the... not so harsh elements of my room. :P

What is a Hammer Eagle, and what is a HHKB case? Sounds interesting but I have no idea what you're referring to without pics.

I assume you put a Duck Eagle PCB inside a Hammer case, and then removed two keys, to place it in a HHKB case (the stock one?)

Please elaborate! :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline E3E

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 17:45:22 »

What is a Hammer Eagle, and what is a HHKB case? Sounds interesting but I have no idea what you're referring to without pics.

I assume you put a Duck Eagle PCB inside a Hammer case, and then removed two keys, to place it in a HHKB case (the stock one?)

Please elaborate! :)

Haha, sorry I know all these terms can get confusing, especially since case is used as the term for a housing in this community, but by case I meant "carrying case," haha.

The HHKB carrying case I was referring to is this one! http://www.amazon.com/Carrying-Hacking-Keyboard-PD-KB01SD-Import/dp/B000FHSNFW Fantastic case, but I want something more personal for my build eventually.

This is what intelli and his fantastic artisan made for me for my Octagon and Lightpad (though the scheme and patch and fact they can be carried together was my idea, hehe :) ):

The Hammer Eagle is my Duck Eagle build. I'm really not sure what to call it, since it's a Duck Eagle PCB in a Hammer case (you had the right idea!) xD https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77497.msg1952047#msg1952047

I think this should clear it all up, haha.

Offline dan002

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 19:33:58 »
I keep their boxes in a larger box and cycle them as I get bored

Plus boxes protect them from dust. I currently keep my unused keyboards in their original box.
Peace, love and keyboards.

Offline Goranth

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:31:31 »
Boards that I don't think I'll use for awhile I lend to relatives to use if they like them.  The ones I do still keep in my possession are on top of books on bookshelves.  Might get an HHKB soon then I gotta decide what to do with my Pok3r.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 13:29:06 »
Boards that I don't think I'll use for awhile I lend to relatives to use if they like them.  The ones I do still keep in my possession are on top of books on bookshelves.  Might get an HHKB soon then I gotta decide what to do with my Pok3r.

If you run out of relatives...  :p

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 13:31:54 »
Just stuff them somewhere in the closet. Good thing about 60% is that they don't take up much space so they are a bit easier to store  ;D