Author Topic: Honeywell/Bull keyboard from ebay..  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Red October

Honeywell/Bull keyboard from ebay..
« on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 16:03:24 »
So I picked up one of these from ebay because it was described as an AT keyboard and has the correct plug for that type, and at the price I couldn't resist it.  Seems people have figured out that people collect old keyboards and now they can be found on ebay for hundreds of dollars! 
Anyway, here's a link to the current auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-60164180-001-AT-Keyboard-115ST13-8E-1-J-/151948335455?
The one I ended up with is a revision J, not a revision C like the one pictured.  Of critical note is that it doesn't appear to be an AT keyboard.  I can plug it in to my machine via a DIN-to-mini-DIN (PS/2) and the LEDs blink and the one labeled "Power On" in fact lights, but none of the keys seem to produce output or change the state of the other LEDs.  I opened the case up to see if perhaps there was a mode switch or something, but there are no user-manipulable controls inside.  There are a few unpopulated places on the board for jumper wire, but not knowing what they do, I didn't want to jump any of them.  The keyboard itself is unfortunately uninspiring to use, with mushy keys.  I was hoping that this would be a "runner", but it looks like it's just another for the collection.  Nonetheless I thought the folks here would like to learn about it; if there is interest I will post whatever photographs you guys may desire.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Honeywell/Bull keyboard from ebay..
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 16:05:36 »
Looks like it's better to be put here : https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=41.0
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 17:31:48 »
What switches does this use? Keycaps look just like Honeywell rubber dome Oo .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 17:36:27 »
Of critical note is that it doesn't appear to be an AT keyboard.  I can plug it in to my machine via a DIN-to-mini-DIN (PS/2) and the LEDs blink and the one labeled "Power On" in fact lights, but none of the keys seem to produce output or change the state of the other LEDs.

I don't know how common this is, but on my AT Zenith I had to hold the Esc key down before powering on the PC and until the OS was fully loaded for input to register.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Red October

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 19:46:56 »
Of critical note is that it doesn't appear to be an AT keyboard.  I can plug it in to my machine via a DIN-to-mini-DIN (PS/2) and the LEDs blink and the one labeled "Power On" in fact lights, but none of the keys seem to produce output or change the state of the other LEDs.

I don't know how common this is, but on my AT Zenith I had to hold the Esc key down before powering on the PC and until the OS was fully loaded for input to register.

I will definitely try this later tonight; also I'd like to know what the purpose is of all of the unlabeled keys? 

Offline Red October

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 22:35:09 »
So here's a quick update; I tried a few things to get it working; first tried holding ESC while the machine booted, held ESC all the way from power-on to the logon prompt, but got no dice.  I also tried while holding down the blank key in the upper-left corner where ESC usually is.  This did not work.  I also took out of the loop a KVM switch I had been using (and still have to use for my tired old M5-II as the breakout block in the cable where it goes into two separate  PS/2 plugs does not fit through the hole I bored in my desk for the keyboard and mouse cables... I should fix that the next time I have a big drill bit to hand).  When it was connected directly to the only PS/2 port on the mainboard I got a message at boot-up about there being no keyboard detected.  All the time the "power on" lamp on the keyboard was illuminated, so from this I guess we learn that it expects power on the same pin.  Next step I think is hooking it up with a scancode viewer running to see if this thing even sends recognizable scancodes.  Doubt I'll go further than that as, as I've said, the keys are mushy and I don't think it will be a particularly gratifying keyboard to type/game on.

Offline Red October

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 02:02:44 »
So an update, if anyone's curious.  I plugged it in to my Soarer's Converter and it worked straight away; it's using XT protocol.  The keymapping was really odd, but I expected that since I didn't do anything to the programming of the Soarer's Converter.  I don't know if it's possible to figure out how to make the extra keys work, but it's ultimately not awesome to type on, so it's not going to replace the Model F I'm currently typing on. 

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 05:49:47 »
Very cool, glad you got it working! Shame it's not a great typer. Them's the breaks  :rolleyes:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150