Author Topic: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (CLOSED)  (Read 496699 times)

Offline theanyday

• love love love
Re: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (SHIPPING + POLL on extra parts)
« Reply #1500 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 13:25:52 »
Been a LONG time in the making but I've finally received my MIRA.
Not sure what switches I'm going with quite yet.
I received #5 Stabs and honestly don't remember what ones I ordered originally.
Thanks to everyone for their hard work getting this thing to become a reality.
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1501 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 13:33:01 »
I received #5 Stabs and honestly don't remember what ones I ordered originally.
Thanks to everyone for their hard work getting this thing to become a reality.

According to my spreadsheet, you requested 6.25u spacebar size, so you're all set with the kit you got!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #1502 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 13:47:30 »
Have these all been shipped? I haven't checked in here for a looong time and still no package. I should be number 50.

Edit: Found the spreadsheet - says to be shipped to Proxy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 January 2018, 13:52:06 by Heliosphere »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1503 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 14:43:34 »
Have these all been shipped? I haven't checked in here for a looong time and still no package. I should be number 50.

there are a few that still need to be send to eason's proxy, yeah

not sure what the holdup is though
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rotciveel

• Fugu Curator Extraordinaire
« Reply #1504 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 19:31:06 »
Holy moly the board is amazing. Once you hold it in your hands and feel the sturdiness... it’s a whole different experience! Can’t wait to build it out!

On mobile - excuse any typos.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #1505 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 19:45:05 »

:'(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1506 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 19:47:06 »

:'(

it's well worth the wait, don't worry
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #1507 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 20:48:25 »
I got mine today finally. The blue is terrible but whatever... this board is incredibly built. I mean this is probably the nicest keyboard i've seen. It is really really well made.
-Dana

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #1508 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 20:53:12 »
I got mine today finally. The blue is terrible but whatever... this board is incredibly built. I mean this is probably the nicest keyboard i've seen. It is really really well made.
What is terrible about the blue? Just not what you are expecting?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #1509 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 23:41:09 »

It's lighter than the sample anode, I wasn't a fan of it
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1510 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 08:59:21 »

O'Mira's blue is much nicer imo.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1511 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 09:15:20 »

Does not seem lighter to me at all, if anything a hair darker.  I have a blue switch plate here, and I took photos of the blue prototype top earlier in the GB process, photographs were linked in the thread: https://m.imgur.com/a/Ni2h1
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 09:16:57 by Photoelectric »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #1512 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 09:34:01 »
It is what it is. I'll just have to figure out if I can deal with it, if i want to have it reanodized, or if I can trade it. I was planning on selling it but then when i got it in-hand i was blown away by the quality of this build. Absolutely incredible.

For what its worth what I was signing up for originally was "Night Sky Blue (medium blue with a slight tinge of gray and purple) " and what i got was this neon baby blue lol.
-Dana

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1513 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 09:50:43 »
It is what it is. I'll just have to figure out if I can deal with it, if i want to have it reanodized, or if I can trade it. I was planning on selling it but then when i got it in-hand i was blown away by the quality of this build. Absolutely incredible.

For what its worth what I was signing up for originally was "Night Sky Blue (medium blue with a slight tinge of gray and purple) " and what i got was this neon baby blue lol.

That was from the IC process and not one of our photos--it was a factory cell phone photo, and also is not darker anyway.  More accurate photos were made available before the GB closed: https://imgur.com/a/P6DiG

Then I also asked ninja to to take photos of his prototypes to be as clear as possible about what was going to be made:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87310.msg2394026#msg2394026

And if you read a few replies below that, I explicitly offered color change option for those who've ordered, which was allowed for a long time after payments finished.  Personally I hate surprises and inconsistencies, so clarity and fulfilling expectations was the goal.  (The one thing that's different on the final production blue plate I have here vs. the prototype I saw was that the final version is slightly less purple-shifted.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 09:53:52 by Photoelectric »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #1514 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 10:07:39 »
Yup, understood. I kept hearing it might be darker or it was just the flash etc. I know you guys did your best to keep everyone aware on all the changes over the year. I'm definitely not blaming anyone, just that it ended up being too much for my tastes. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me with some keycaps on it!  :thumb:

edit: Nah its a totally different blue from the one i saw in person last summer at keycon
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 10:25:49 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #1515 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 10:43:45 »
Yup, understood. I kept hearing it might be darker or it was just the flash etc. I know you guys did your best to keep everyone aware on all the changes over the year. I'm definitely not blaming anyone, just that it ended up being too much for my tastes. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me with some keycaps on it!  :thumb:

edit: Nah its a totally different blue from the one i saw in person last summer at keycon

the one you saw last summer at KeyCon is from the Chinese (casually called "O'MIRA") group-buy. The finish was ceramic/rubber-like (skin-ripper as some said) and the corners were different.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1516 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 11:03:54 »

the one you saw last summer at KeyCon is from the Chinese (casually called "O'MIRA") group-buy. The finish was ceramic/rubber-like (skin-ripper as some said) and the corners were different.

pretty much this

this blue was never intended to be that dark, although it did turn out a few shades different than the sample
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 12:01:39 by Puddsy »

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1517 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 11:19:09 »

Like Lightning said, that was the China Mira or O'Mira and I know there are some out there, so you may be able to trade your kit for one.  I agree about the blue though, which is why I picked up the blue O'Mira for myself  :D
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #1518 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 11:26:26 »

Does not seem lighter to me at all, if anything a hair darker.  I have a blue switch plate here, and I took photos of the blue prototype top earlier in the GB process, photographs were linked in the thread: https://m.imgur.com/a/Ni2h1

My bad, you're right the production color was darker. Either way it wasn't what I was expecting
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline aquafreshfan

« Reply #1519 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 12:05:12 »

pretty much this

this blue was never intended to be that dark, although it did turn out a few shades different than the sample

Any more info on that specific Mira? I would love to see if I could get a board finished in that color, maybe the upcoming LZ cls s x h
Revo RJ  |  Mira SE  |  Noxary 268  |  Red Scarf II+ Ver.c

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1520 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 12:35:02 »

pretty much this

Any more info on that specific Mira? I would love to see if I could get a board finished in that color, maybe the upcoming LZ cls s x h

it's an "O Mira" from the chinese GB

there are a few (read: 2-3) that float around on english language markets but the vast majority of them are in the hands of rather tight-fisted chinese collectors

i don't blame them, the chinese ones are also really nice

but the finish on the ano is really unpleasant (there's a reason some call it "skinripper mira"), and the ****ING OFF-CENTER CORNERS ruin it for me

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1521 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 12:55:21 »

pretty much this

it's an "O Mira" from the chinese GB

there are a few (read: 2-3) that float around on english language markets but the vast majority of them are in the hands of rather tight-fisted chinese collectors

i don't blame them, the chinese ones are also really nice

but the finish on the ano is really unpleasant (there's a reason some call it "skinripper mira"), and the ****ING OFF-CENTER CORNERS ruin it for me

I know for sure of at least four that have made it to the US and one that is still unbuilt, at least as of about a month ago, with myself owning one of them.  About the ano though, I really don't really understand this "skinripper" name, as while it's different than other ano'ed boards I've had, it's far from unpleasant and I actually almost prefer it.  The feel is slightly odd at first but the best way I can explain it is almost a very firm but short felt and almost warmer than standard ano.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1522 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 14:13:42 »

pretty much this

It's quite probably the same blue color of the prototype I photographed, just a bad cell phone photo of it.  Photographing anodized aluminum of ambiguous shades (i.e. not a simple bright royal blue, and even then) is not an easy task.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #1523 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 15:09:21 »
Yup. Its tough getting a real life representation with semi reflective surfaces especially online. The color correction card helped though that was a good idea :thumb: its a blue and black dress!
-Dana

Offline stillzman

« Reply #1524 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 15:26:51 »
Got mine yesterday, absolutely love it. As others have said, build quality is incredible. Just wanted to thank everyone involved in making this happen and making sure it all came out perfectly. I'll post pics whenever I get around to putting it together.

Offline Alex92

« Reply #1525 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 18:05:29 »
After almost 3 years, I've finally received my Mira! There were times when I thought this keyboard would never be produced, but so many people stepped up to make this happen! Knowing how much hard work went into this project, it really pains me to have any complaints with it, but there is an issue with the anodizing on my Mira. It's difficult to capture on camera, but there are shadow-like streaks above the logo. I tried getting the best picture of it that I could, but it's more noticeable in person. Is this an issue that anyone else has with their Mira?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1526 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 18:18:28 »
After almost 3 years, I've finally received my Mira! There were times when I thought this keyboard would never be produced, but so many people stepped up to make this happen! Knowing how much hard work went into this project, it really pains me to have any complaints with it, but there is an issue with the anodizing on my Mira. It's difficult to capture on camera, but there are shadow-like streaks above the logo. I tried getting the best picture of it that I could, but it's more noticeable in person. Is this an issue that anyone else has with their Mira?

Show Image

I had streaks like that when I first got it, but now that it's built I can't see them. Might be the lighting in my room, though, I'll look again during the day tomorrow.

Is yours black or grey? I've heard of other minor issues like that with grey boards.

Also, what is that plate?

Offline Alex92

« Reply #1527 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 18:33:22 »

Show Image

I had streaks like that when I first got it, but now that it's built I can't see them. Might be the lighting in my room, though, I'll look again during the day tomorrow.

Is yours black or grey? I've heard of other minor issues like that with grey boards.

It's actually blue with a silver plate. The streaks are hard to see in bright light, so that's why the picture is darker.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1528 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 18:38:48 »

Show Image

It's actually blue with a silver plate. The streaks are hard to see in bright light, so that's why the picture is darker.

wow, weird

Offline techmattr

« Reply #1529 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 19:00:26 »
Seems like a pretty long delay for the remaining 9 boards... does anyone have an update on what is going on there? Maybe I missed it?

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #1530 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 19:14:12 »

Show Image

I have streaks like that on mine as well. My reflexive reaction was also disappointment, but it was fleeting. I now like to think that the streaks add a bit of character to my board: I imagine, given the theme, that the streaks are burn marks from atmospheric reentry.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #1531 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 19:16:13 »
Seems like a pretty long delay for the remaining 9 boards... does anyone have an update on what is going on there? Maybe I missed it?

You didn’t miss anything. I’m not sure what’s causing the delay either. :(

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1532 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 20:07:23 »

Show Image

Let me see what EVE and zzyjayfree say about this. We may have you ship the board to one of us to look at - probably not me because I’m not good about color issues.

Offline odd

« Reply #1533 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 21:42:37 »
Here is my Mira. This has quickly become my favorite keyboard I own. I felt it when I first took it out of the case it was shipped in. It felt like it was built better than any other keyboard I have. It feels so damn sturdy and just the right weight, not too heavy and not too light, the anno is second to none and everything fits together so smooth and perfect.

This keyboard is an incredible achievement in the keyboard enthusiast scene. Thank everyone who was involved in bringing this keyboard into reality, here is my Mira

Transparent acrylic plate: Zealios R1 linear switches, Sprit 68G gold springs & Zeal R1 stabs

Pink Aluminum plate: Lubed vintage black stems in Invyr housing, Sprit 65G gold springs. Modifier switches have Zealios R1 linear stems, 72G Sprit gold springs. Zeal R1 stabs

https://imgur.com/a/0aqv3
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 21:44:27 by odd »

Offline odd

« Reply #1534 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 21:55:56 »

Show Image

I have the streaks as well on the logo. Mine sit below the logo. I can only see them if i angle the keyboard just right. It's really noticeable on the A of the logo.

https://imgur.com/a/Krk2I
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 January 2018, 22:12:53 by odd »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1535 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 22:29:56 »

Show Image

I have the streaks as well on the logo. Mine sit below the logo. I can only see them if i angle the keyboard just right. It's really noticeable on the A of the logo.

yeah, mine has a pretty bad patch on the back. that's not a shadow. i am told this is an issue with not cleaning the boards soon enough after anodizing, or not doing a good job cleaning.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1536 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 03:51:04 »
The following numbered Mira orders that received the wrong sized stabilizer wires have been packed late evening and will be shipped off in the afternoon.

In order to keep costs down, the wires are being shipped via untracked lettermail in a bubble mailer reinforced with cardboard inside. Lettermail to Canada should be delivered within ~4 biz days, 4-6 business days to USA. Int'l 6-10 business days.

54*

*=shipped in box due to international location.

Those that commented and wanted to add on a set of stabilizers will have to wait until our bulk order of transparent screw-in stabilizers come in around the end of January as we're completely out.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1537 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 06:49:58 »
zzyjayfree and EVE are discussing how to fix the anodizing defects

Individuals whose board have not been shipped will receive an email or PM  from one of us explaining the shipment delay.

I apologize to all affected by the anodizing defect and delay in shipment.

Problems are being addressed but are slow - we have an overseas factory, a time change, a different language, customs, and shipping costs - all of which add time.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1538 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 07:05:24 »
Color change - I understand the issues about the color change.
We had issues on telling the colors from photos after EVE moved his factory and got new equipment for finishing.
Any of you that have taken pictures of the Mira realize that the colors are greatly affected by lighting.
I could never tell the true color of the blue - it seemed to change daily and I could never get a good photograph of it. I finally shipped it to Photoelectric to photograph - I tried outdoors, indoor, incandescent lighting, LED lighting - still couldn't get a good representation.

Did you ever wonder why silver and black are the only colors offered in anodized keyboards? Those colors can be reproduced - usually consistently. Grey is one of the hardest. anodizing shops I talked in the US wouldn't even attempt it. Blue is also hard to reproduce - ask LZ about his new board being offered in blue. Look at LZ's Ironman keyboard. The initial orange and the final orange are not the same. I'm sure that was due to anodizing issues and the deeper orange color could not be produced consistently.

I'm sorry if colors are not totally satisfactory - its hard to judge them from photos. Hopefully this at least gives you an idea of why it happens.

Offline EVE

• Outstanding because of professionalism
« Reply #1539 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 08:28:47 »
I'm sorry, guys. I will keep the best heat and keep the best MiraSE. I will always do a persistent job here (after sale). I'm very sorry to cause you trouble!!!
Designer and Manufacture of Metro, Nebula, Taichi, Plant(ICing), Moon.
Manufacture of Mira, MiraSE, Moon, Tank, Canoe, Canoe2, CanoeFE, Volt, Lite, Kira 80%, Kira Pad, Keycult 02, Ares HHKB, Evil 80, Evil 82, Evil 96,EQUALZ Zero 80%, EQUALZ 104, Origin 80%........

Offline stillzman

« Reply #1540 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 09:19:01 »

Show Image

I have streaks very similar to yours but they only seem to be noticeable depending on the lighting and how I hold the board.

Offline rotciveel

• Fugu Curator Extraordinaire
« Reply #1541 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 10:10:16 »
The following numbered Mira orders that received the wrong sized stabilizer wires have been packed late evening and will be shipped off in the afternoon.

In order to keep costs down, the wires are being shipped via untracked lettermail in a bubble mailer reinforced with cardboard inside. Lettermail to Canada should be delivered within ~4 biz days, 4-6 business days to USA. Int'l 6-10 business days.

54*

Those that commented and wanted to add on a set of stabilizers will have to wait until our bulk order of transparent screw-in stabilizers come in around the end of January as we're completely out.

awesome!  :thumb:

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1542 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 13:08:04 »

54*

Also shipped #14
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #1543 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 13:13:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

wow, weird

On a slightly lighter note, please tell me I'm not going mad/colour blind and others are seeing this as Black and Gold? I assume it's a similar phenomenon to that of 'The Dress' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1544 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 13:28:54 »
clearly, its blue and white.

Offline Alex92

« Reply #1545 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 13:31:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

wow, weird

On a slightly lighter note, please tell me I'm not going mad/colour blind and others are seeing this as Black and Gold? I assume it's a similar phenomenon to that of 'The Dress' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

It's blue, I promise! :))
The streaks were most noticeable under dim incandescent light, so that's what made the colors look darker/more yellow. Here's another picture I took in better lighting with keycaps sitting on the case:

Offline TestostoBoost

« Reply #1546 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 14:30:14 »

54*

Also shipped #14

Excellent. Thanks, Zeal!

« Reply #1547 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 14:40:07 »
clearly, its blue and white.

:p

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

wow, weird

It's blue, I promise! :))
The streaks were most noticeable under dim incandescent light, so that's what made the colors look darker/more yellow. Here's another picture I took in better lighting with keycaps sitting on the case:

Show Image

Haha I assumed so, crazy how lighting can do that. Some of those caps look pretty misaligned though mate?

Offline Alex92

« Reply #1548 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 14:50:50 »
Haha I assumed so, crazy how lighting can do that. Some of those caps look pretty misaligned though mate?

I haven't assembled my Mira yet. I just set the keycaps on the board to see how they'd look on it.

« Reply #1549 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 15:04:50 »

I haven't assembled my Mira yet. I just set the keycaps on the board to see how they'd look on it.

Ahhh gotcha, now you mention it they do look to be sitting quite deep haha  :thumb: