Author Topic: What is your system for rotating keyboards/switches?  (Read 5022 times)

Offline portbaron

What is your system for rotating keyboards/switches?
« on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 02:26:13 »
Let's say you have a shameful number of keyboards, how often do you switch them out? Do you stick to one switch type, use different ones for different tasks, or use everything?
I try to use 1 to 2 per week and alternate switches. Part of the fun for me is remastering each type (although I do have overall favorites). Of course the OS color scheme changes to match the keyboards.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: What is your system for rotating keyboards/switches?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 03:20:30 »
I don't rotate keyboards. I do use different keyboards for different tasks or under different circumstances.

typing at my desk
  • ErgoDox
otherwise (typing on top of my laptop or on my thighs in an armchair, playing old games with rigid/expansive control schemes)
  • when I need silence: TypeMatrix (with a ¿silicone? skin)
  • when I need to type a lot: Phantom with 7bit layout (i.e., lots of thumb keys for symbol layers)
  • mainly gaming: Noppoo Choc Mini (because it's kind of "normal", including Fx keys aligned with the number row)

I use almost any other keyboard only for typing tests for fun every now and then.

Offline thokir

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 03:21:39 »
I have multiple boards with different layouts and completely different switches.
Right now I am typing on my planck with vintage blacks, probably gonna keep it on my desk for a week or two, maybe a month. When I feel like 'oh, I have to use one of my other boards' I'll look at them and then decide which one I'd like to use next. Sometimes I switch between two boards for a couple of months, sometimes I circle through them twice in a month.
The only thing that happens on regular basis for me is sticking to the planck a bit longer than to the other boards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 07:17:37 »
When my main work board get gross and dirty I buy a new one.

At home I just rotate them in and out trying new  keycaps or switches or layouts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 07:50:54 »
I switch out keyboards about every 3-4 days.  Pull out full size when I can,  it it’s not that often. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 08:50:06 »
Ridiculous..

You buy a keyboard.

Get bored

Buy a NEW keyboard.

Old keyboard goes on the shelf (FOREVER).

That's the system.. !!

How often do divorced men go back to their first wives.. ~Almost Never

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 10:41:17 »
The keyboards get boring because they don't contain enough veggies tp4
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline killyou

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 11:31:18 »
I have one holtited Pok3r, I buy and sell switches every once in couple of months to try different ones. Sometime I buy used keyboards to check them out just to use for couple of weeks and sell them. I only keep one at the moment although I'd like to have 2 so I don't have to switch switches : 1 - tactile, 2 - clicky and maybe 3 - silent tactile.

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 12:03:13 »
For desktop PCs I use either a Topre Realforce RGB or a Norbatouch with a Plum numpad attached. For my iPad I use a Plum Nano 75. So the only switch I use is of the Topre EC design. In all cases keycaps are either SA or MT3.

I have three of each of the aforementioned keyboards, and many different keycap sets available to put on them. I rotate keyboards roughly every 4-6 months based on when I get tired of a particular keycap set.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 12:20:39 »
My collection of keyboards has shrunk considerably since even one month ago, but I still have probably 20+ laying around. Some of them I just keep as a collector's item (e.g. Kentucky Wildcats Model M with Buckling Springs), some I think are really nice but aren't converted for modern use (e.g. NEC PC-9801 with NEC White Oval switches), and some are just waiting their turn to be sold (e.g. multiple NEC PC-9801V with NEC Oval switches of varying colors). Then others I actually use (e.g. Matias Laptop Pro with Matias Quiet Click switches) and some are being built which I don't even have yet (e.g. Massdrop CTRL with Halo White switches).

So in some sense, I have keyboards which will never be rotated in. Though my favorite of the bunch is probably the UK Model M since it was my favorite team growing up. I haven't gotten around to documenting it yet, but here is someone else's image of it.

« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 12:22:32 by Blaise170 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 12:41:45 »
use mira until i get bored then switch to weaven for a day
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 14:02:49 »
The keyboards get boring because they don't contain enough veggies tp4

Tp4 @ Maximum Veggie.

Only Ergodox... Forever...

Offline ScottPaladin

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 15:14:19 »
There's no system; it's chaos.

As I'm heading off to work, I look at the collection and think "what can I get away with today?" If I'm lazy or timid, I go for the stickerbombed Jailhouse Blues 60%. If I'm feeling bold, HP46010A or Pingmaster, maybe model M. If I just give a f**k, Thickbar MX Navy board.

Offline killyou

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 15:55:12 »
There's no system; it's chaos.

As I'm heading off to work, I look at the collection and think "what can I get away with today?" If I'm lazy or timid, I go for the stickerbombed Jailhouse Blues 60%. If I'm feeling bold, HP46010A or Pingmaster, maybe model M. If I just give a f**k, Thickbar MX Navy board.
Constant jackhammering out of your cubicle must be pleasant to other co-workers  :thumb:

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 17:47:15 »
I just rotate when i feel like it at the moment i love typing with the Filco. But maybe later i want to use Topre again or go back to my keyboard with box switches so yeah this is also kind of a preference.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 18:15:06 »
I have way too many keyboards, so I usually just grab one with a different switch vs aesthetics............

I go back and forth; BS, cherry, alps, space invader, clones, Fujitsu rubber dome/mechanical, SMK and so on...........

More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 12:03:39 »
I keep around 5 - 6 keyboards in my cubicle at work.  I keep them in a file cabinet drawer and swapping out is easy - just unplug, put keyboard in drawer, take another keyboard out, plug in and off I go.  I usually change keyboards a couple times a day. Although there are some days where I use the same keyboard all day, those are pretty rare.  Currently at work I'm keeping two Topres (45g uniform silenced and 55g 87Us), three Leopolds (FC660M, FC660C, FC900R), and one Matias (FK302 Quiet Pro PC).  I work in a very quiet office, so I find myself using the Matias Quiet Pro and the silenced Topre 87U the most, as they are by far the quietest. This seems sort of ridiculous that I do this.  But I do enjoy variety in my switches and keyboards, so this is my setup for now.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 12:36:43 »
I usually change keyboards a couple times a day.
Lol this is pretty awesome.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline ramencup

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 12:54:57 »
Since I only have two keebs:

• I use my MX Turds when I need to get serious work done and need to type fast.
  • I use my MX Blues when I'm bored and sad that I don't have any good keyboards.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 13:02:43 »
I used to rotate keyboards, then I sold most of them and used one for over 2 years straight, but now I have more keyboard kits to put together again.  As with most of my keyboards, I assemble or modify them exactly to taste to enjoy typing on them, and if there's one I don't like for some reason--I don't keep it for long.  So switching them up is never anything like "finally I'm going to type on X switch again", because there are multiple switch types I'm perfectly happy using--it's more like "I want to look at something different on my desk and change things up for a bit".  I also don't really like the [re]learning curve of changing from one switch or layout or keycap profile to another, which can take a week or so.  For instance I'm typing on XDA PBT right now, and initially it was super awkward after using Cherry profile, but now it's okay--took a while to get used to.  Otherwise I can be indefinitely content with just my LZ-GH and Cherry profile.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 April 2018, 13:04:39 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 13:55:59 »
I am rotating 3 boards, when I feel like I have to clean the one I am using. For example now I cleaned my HHKB (completely disassemble), and use now my SSK, and later on my Realforce. Every board about 3-6 months.

But what I do not like is switching from HHKB to another layout or coming back to the HHKB.
... ...

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 22:32:35 »
1st of each month.
Just need another 9 boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 00:28:34 »
I switch my keyboards every couple of hours or even minutes

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:20:26 »
6 months.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:27:11 »
When my main work board get gross and dirty I buy a new one.

At home I just rotate them in and out trying new  keycaps or switches or layouts.

Truth

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:29:26 »
I generally keep 2 or 3 on my desk at a time.  Those boards rotate out about every week.  Whenever I build a new board or get new switches, I use them for a week at least.  My minivan keeps making it onto the desk though.  I think I just enjoy the challenge of trying to use it for all of my work tasks. 

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 14:22:37 »
Sadly, i use membrane for schoolwork...

But mechanical for gaming.

Am getting new keycaps soon  ;D , g20 or flat for about 30 keys.