Author Topic: Chair for a standing desk  (Read 2940 times)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Chair for a standing desk
« on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 14:51:24 »
Counterintuitive, I know, but more or less all I'm looking for is a chair that is well suited to a desk that is set to standing height. I like the standing desk for vocational matters, but for avocational I prefer to be able to kick back a bit, and most office/computer chairs are decidedly ill suited for this. I've looked at some drafting chairs, but they tend to be decidedly uncomfortable (very low back, no armrests, etc). Was wondering if anyone else had encountered this issue and resolved it in a way other than simply having two different setups.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Re: Chair for a standing desk
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 15:02:44 »
You need the "stool" version of any of the good chairs you like. I use a Steelcase Criterion stool and it's very comfortable. Everything is adjustable and I like to use it "mid level", which is higher than a seated chair but not standing. That way I can tilt the seat pan and get a "horse rider" stance which naturally gives me a properly curved spine.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 15:05:47 »
How are the stool versions for stability? Do you know if one would still be able to put one's feet up and lean back without issue?

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 15:34:12 »
You need the "stool" version of any of the good chairs you like. I use a Steelcase Criterion stool and it's very comfortable. Everything is adjustable and I like to use it "mid level", which is higher than a seated chair but not standing. That way I can tilt the seat pan and get a "horse rider" stance which naturally gives me a properly curved spine.

I second Steelcase furniture.  We recently several of their chairs at work, and they're great.  Definitely a more expensive option than some other stool, but much more sturdy and supportive. 

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 17:00:03 »
How are the stool versions for stability? Do you know if one would still be able to put one's feet up and lean back without issue?

Yes. Zero stability problems, even cheap drafting stools don't have those issues.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 17:00:47 »
With a standing desk, the comfort of the chair matters a lot less than when you are sitting all day.   At work I have a basic chair whose only features are height adjustments and armrests.  It also is well padded.  And it works well for my needs, because all I need is a relief from standing for awhile.

At home, I have a Body Bilt chair that I got from a used furniture store.  I would recommend it.  They retail for the cost of a used car.   With both my stools, I do not have stability issues.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 17:24:31 »
Muvman and HAG Capisco:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=THiR6pRrZwA#t=19

EDIT: This will give you a good overview of the variety of positions the Capisco facilitates.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 September 2013, 17:36:42 by Burz »
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 17:44:28 »
Muvman and HAG Capisco:

EDIT: This will give you a good overview of the variety of positions the Capisco facilitates.
Interesting. I'd seen a horseless carriage before, but not a horseless saddle. Neat chair though.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 08:54:58 »
Muvman and HAG Capisco:

Interesting. I'd seen a horseless carriage before, but not a horseless saddle. Neat chair though.

For a fraction of the price you can get the Alvin Synchro chair

http://www.****blick.com/products/alvin-synchro-tilt-painters-stool/

OK this is stupid, this board has some profanity filter which is cutting out the name of the art story ... D_I_C_K_BLICK

You'll have to search on your own.

I've got one, instead of the whole arm tilting forward just the seat pan tilts which I think is a better design. That allows you to put castors on the bottom too (which are included, along with pucks).

However I don't use this chair compared to my Steelcase. The Criterion stool allows me to use a variety of positions throughout the day, which I believe is the important thing. I've found that while it's good to stay in to the "ergo" position most of the time, you also should change, including sitting back, forward and slouching is OK too.

• Horserider. Seat pan tilted forward, legs lower down (seat higher) helps you sit like a horse rider. The best position as it puts a natural curve in your back, but you can't do it all day. 
  • Couch potato. Leaning back with feet up. Good to do throughout the day for a break. Nice to have a keyboard that will sit in your lap, but your eyes are often too far away from the screen
  • Normal Joe.  The usual sitting position. Harder on your back than either above.
  • Standing. Good for variety, but I find it very hard to concentrate on my work while standing. It takes too much attention to keep yourself upright.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 September 2013, 08:57:39 by Architect »