Author Topic: AOEYK ergonomic layout for standard keyboards  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Jon in PDX

AOEYK ergonomic layout for standard keyboards
« on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 15:29:13 »
Greetings, all. I thought I'd share my latest keyboard layout experiment: a pseudo-columnar ergonomic revision of the Dvorak layout, which I call "AOEYK."

My goal is to rearrange the keys to allow the hands to rest at a more natural angle on a standard keyboard. (I'm using a laptop, though, so it may not be entirely valid.) This is achevied by rotating the pinky, ring, and middle fingers to the second row while keeping the index fingers on the third. On a QWERTY keyboard, Q W E F and J I O P are the home keys. This twists the wrists less and vaguely provides a more columnar layout than the standard position. However, it also changes the distance to each key, so a layout change to accommodate that finger repoitioning was in order.

Starting with Dvorak, I made common-sense adjusments for the home keys--and then just went to town. I swapped alt and shift, which works with the thumbs now at either end of the shift bar. Control is above alt, and enter is adjacent to the pinky. With some refinement based on Patrick Gillespie's great Keyboard Layout Analyzer, http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/, and a few regressions to better work with a true columnar keyboard (like the ErgoDox), I am ready to call it: the AOEYK layout is superior to both Dvorak and Colemak.

Using the first four chapters of Great Expectations as sample text in the Analyzer, AOEYK scores 65.59 while Colemak and Dvorak make do with 63.78 and 62.80, respectfully. Plus, AOEYK makes a standard keyboard act like an ergonomic.

It is important to note that the AOEYK layout sacrifices the number row, so while the numbers are still there it may not work well for programmers.

Implementing the layout (for Windows) required Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator and a scancode change in regedit.exe.

KLC file: http://sdrv.ms/15APlQe

Below are my scancode values; the regedit process is explained at the Experts-Exchange site here: http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/A_2155-Keyboard-Remapping-CAPSLOCK-to-Ctrl-and-Beyond.html

00,00,00,00   header
00,00,00,00   header flags
0b,00,00,00   number of entries - "0b" is hex for "11"
1d,00,3a,00   map left control to the caps lock key
3a,00,1d,00   map caps lock to the left control key
38,00,2a,00   map left alt to the left shift key
2a,00,38,00   map left shift to the left alt key
38,e0,36,00   map right alt to the right shift key
36,00,38,e0   map right shift to the right alt key
1c,00,1a,00   map enter to the left bracket key
1a,00,2b,00   map left bracket to the pipe key
2b,00,1d,e0   map the pipe key to the right control key
1d,e0,1c,00   map right control to the enter key
00,00,00,00   null terminator   

Looking at the layout in KLC, the brackets are reversed. We swap the keys because the regedit values take effect before the keyboard layout does.

The first three pairs of changes are easy: caps lock and left control are swapped, as are the left and right alt and shift keys.

The last set of changes is a bit difficult because changing the scancodes in regedit changes the input that the keyboard layout sees.

With the above changes (lines beginning "1c", "1a", "2b", and "1d"), the keyboard layout reads:
"enter" where "left bracket" used to be,
"left bracket" where "pipe" used to be,
"pipe" where "right control" used to be, and
"right control" where "enter" used to be.

Since Keyboard Layout Creator won't allow you to move the command keys, this places "enter" and "right control" where they should be in the AOEYK layout, but messes about with "pipe" and "left bracket" in the exchange.

So inputs for the Keyboard Layout Creator change as such:
when the "pipe" key is changed, really the "right control" key is changed, and
where the "left bracket" key is changed, really the "pipe" key is changed.

...which is why the brackets appear backwards in the Keyboard Layout Creator view.

Now, I get to use this creation of mine and see how I like it in practice.

Offline nomaded

Re: AOEYK ergonomic layout for standard keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 23:57:10 »
Just a suggestion for changing the keyboard layout in Windows: I have used KeyTweak to make some changes to the layout on the TECK before I could make the changes directly. My customizations weren't extensive, so I'm not sure if it has the same limitations as using the Keyboard Layout Creator, but I believe it makes the same changes to the registry.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 03:17:43 »
Interesting layout. However, it doesn't suit me. If I hold my hands relatively straight, my little finger is actually even lower than my index. If I tilt them in, the movements become very diagonal, almost sideways for my left hand fingers.

IMHO, you're trying to fix a physical layout problem with a character layout. You may have some limited success, but it's better to actually change the physical layout. Character layout is secondary in my opinion. Doing both is best.  :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 00:28:22 »
IMHO, you're trying to fix a physical layout problem with a character layout. You may have some limited success, but it's better to actually change the physical layout. Character layout is secondary in my opinion. Doing both is best.  :D

Well, sometimes you can't change the physical layout, such as on a laptop, as mentioned by the OP (and there's also a thread about someone trying to make a column layout for his Dell laptop).
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 02:33:22 »
Doh! (facepalm)

I didn't realise the finger change for the top and bottom rows! This actually looks pretty good, especially for staggered symmetrical boards. For a true columnar board I would go with something like suka's modified BU-Teck layout. Here is my even more modifed version of that:

BUQ,XPCLMF
HIEAODTRNS
KY".-JGWVZ

I have created a layout which gets even better results than that in the layout analyzer (BYU with Q in place of Y), but I prefer the rhythm and key placement of the one I show here.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Jon in PDX

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 14:25:38 »

Absolutely true, which is why I'll be basing my ErgoDox layout on how this layout feels after a month or two of using it. :)