Author Topic: Carpalx partial remap  (Read 2870 times)

Offline pepijndevos

Carpalx partial remap
« on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 12:45:06 »
I bought a TECK, and I'm considering using another layout.

Random notes:
I did not get blank keycaps. :(
It turns out you can't swap keycaps between rows. :(
I have not yet figured out how to do CMD+TAB comfortably and have access to CTRL at the same time. :(

Anyway, I started browsing around for layouts. I found Colemak, Workman and Carpalx quite interesting.

I tried Colemak for 5 minutes. It's hard.

I figured I'd look at the partial layout of Carpalx that has 5 key swaps: http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/?partial_optimization
That looks great, but I really like the P and ; swapped like Colemak.
I'm also Dutch, so my letter frequency is different from that.
I have a TECK, which is not staggered.

I downloaded the Carpalx code, but i can't figure out how to run the partial layout.

I also scanned the Workman layout site to find what it is using to analyse the layout, but I can't find anything.

Any suggestions?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Carpalx partial remap
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 17:01:13 »
What about Minimak?

Or converting to Colemak via Tarmak?

Offline Tony

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:12:58 »
I am a Colemak user and I think 5 mins is not enough to try a layout. No wonder it is hard.

Switching layout requires at least 3 weeks' time. Studying layout is much easier, though.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline pepijndevos

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 03:23:39 »
Surely 5 mins is not enough, but just enough to realise OMG this wil take time. But then what is  three weeks on a lifetime of awesome typing.

The main point is that I want to do some experiments with Dutch and code.
Does anyone know how to run the carpalx code, or some other analysing tool?

Offline pepijndevos

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 04:45:18 »
After some digging I found http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/ can load text and customise layouts. It als has eggdox which is close enough to TE for me.

When typing Dutch, Workman and Colemak have N and E under my right index and middle finger. These are by far the most common in Dutch.

Norman and Dvorak are the only ones with N and E on different hands, but they come of worse otherwise.

I like that Colemak keeps zxcv in their place.

Both Workman and Colemak have common vowels on the pinkies.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 04:54:18 »
After some digging I found http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/ can load text and customise layouts. It als has eggdox which is close enough to TE for me.

When typing Dutch, Workman and Colemak have N and E under my right index and middle finger. These are by far the most common in Dutch.

Norman and Dvorak are the only ones with N and E on different hands, but they come of worse otherwise.

I like that Colemak keeps zxcv in their place.

Both Workman and Colemak have common vowels on the pinkies.

That online analyser doesn't take alternation into consideration and is based mostly on distance. While distance does matter, alternation and awkward rolls on common trigrams are more important. Dvorak should do better than it does there, Colemak gets overrated scores.

It can be useful for checking some things in a layout, such as the finger heatmap, etc, but it won't tell you how a particular layout will feel to type on.

Have you considered AdNW layout? http://www.adnw.de/

I've been trying to get their analyser to work, but not had much success yet. I use a slight variation of their layout, designed for the Truly Ergonomic keyboard with a few small modifications.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline uzoc

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 23:08:04 »
Not sure if this is an option for you but I would definitely consider it if I had a configurable keyboard:

Best option for me is the lowest use of the pinky and ring finger and most use of our index and middle.
And as close as possible to the QWERTY mask
Letter keys use the same space as QWERTY.
Other keys occupy the exact same places as in QWERTY.

QFMLWY
QWERTY uses 10% pinky and QFMLWY uses 5% (the lowest of any known layout).
QFMLWY also uses the most index and middle finger (AND the least pinky and middle finger).

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/?full_optimization