Author Topic: Looking to replace my mouse+mousepad  (Read 2902 times)

Offline poisened_blueberry

Looking to replace my mouse+mousepad
« on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:06:20 »
I've had my razer deathadder for 3 years now, the same allsop mousepad (http://www.nextworld.in/product.aspx?sku=HW6750), I play alot of starcraft 2 and League of legends, been experimenting with different dpi for a while, never been comfortably accurate. The shape of the mouse just feels odd to me....
Got any recomendations?

Offline MsYutai

Re: Looking to replace my mouse+mousepad
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:16:24 »
It's worth checking this writeup by vun about different mice: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47675.0

There's some other threads in the "input devices" subforum.

Once you figure out if you want ambidextrous mouse or not then it will be a bit easier to decide. What type of grip you use and the size of you hand are also large factors in picking a good mouse.
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:31:07 »
Thanks, i'll check it out!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 00:04:17 »
Most mice, I think the DA included, can change between DPI settings. I personally play League pretty comfortable at a bit under 3000 dpi, I believe, and I use a generic SteelSeries mousepad, which is both humongous and works well.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 01:43:00 »
The Steelseries mouse pads are great, particularly the hard ones. I use an SX aluminium pad at home and an S&S hard plastic at work.

For mice, there are LOTS of choice. What grip style to you like the most? I'm a fan of Cyborg / Madcatz R.A.T. series mice, since they're so adjustable, can store the settings in the mouse itself and are very comfortable.

I use a R.A.T. 3 since I like how light it is and it fits my hand perfectly. Also the optical sensor is very accurate (no angle snapping or acceleration). I use a combination of fingertip and palm grip and medium DPI (1600 to 2500 max). Basically I rest my palm on the back section when I'm not moving the mouse quickly. Makes for less fatigue on long sessions. Also having a light mouse helps, especially when using fingertip grip.

Be sure to turn off mouse acceleration (in the driver AND in Windows registry) and remove "enhance pointer precision" in Windows mouse settings with the slider set to position 6 (the middle) to get the best accuracy. If the pointer feels too slow or too fast, change the mouse DPI setting to what feels best for you.

DON'T USE A WRIST REST.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 01:50:42 »
Personally quite a fan of Corsair's M95. Although I don't use the macros a whole lot, they are well-placed in an intuitive shape which fits well. Also has some light features to show you the profile and all, but mostly I like how it fits in my hand; I play mostly with palm unless I have to use fingertip. It is heavier than most mice, but that's a preference thing.
It has more dpi than you'll ever need, 8200.. how on earth does one play using that?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 06:11:03 »
What grip style to you like the most?

I'm a mix of claw and fingertip grip i guess?, i do pull my mouse around , i have the lower part of my palm on my mouse, i don't bend my fingers that i use to l/r click alot like in the picture of the claw grip, (http://bluetoothmousedeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bluetooth-mouse-deals-palmclaw-and-fingertip-grip.png) they're only slightly bent.
I place my "moneybone" on the edge of the table to have a good pivit. (
t=8m)
Currently i'm using 1600 dpi, 6/11 in windows with pointer precision off.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:59:06 by poisened_blueberry »

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:48:13 »
Eh, if your palm is touching the mouse at all I feel like that would make you not a fingertip grip.

Anyways, what don't you like about the shape of your current mouse? If you can pinpoint what exactly bothers you about the shape, you can attempt to remedy that in your next mouse.

When I made the switch to the Zowie FK, I had determined that my old Logitech Performance MX mouse was just too tall for my hand. Also, I knew I wanted a mouse with a more sloped back, which allows me to lay my palm comfortably on it. If you are gripping the sides of the mouse with your pinky/thumb that makes you more of a claw grip and therefore a mouse with a less sloped, more rounded back might suit you.

Check out this Google document (originally from reddit/r/MouseReview) that I updated a bunch when deciding what mouse to buy online: tinyurl.com/q9kbfd6
The mice in that document for the most part have above average sensors.
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline banditsf

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 01:43:48 »
Hey there, so your message caught my attention, mainly because I and a buddy of mine are building out an ergo mouse + programmable keys + joystick for both left and right hand with an ergo palm rest. Maybe you might be interested? We are going to launch our Kickstarter soon where you can pre order our concept. Feel free to email me. We had similar feel to yours. Mainly I am trying to build this out for Cading and my buddy for programming and gaming. This might be good for you. Cheers mate.
Cheers

Offline philip

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 11:07:08 »
That sounds interesting, do you have website?

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 07:39:31 »
I'm going to get the razer abyssus, I'm not sure what mousepad goes well with the abyssus.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 December 2013, 07:42:40 by poisened_blueberry »

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 12:47:06 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:19:37 by poisened_blueberry »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 02:05:28 »
I'm going to get the razer abyssus, I'm not sure what mousepad goes well with the abyssus.

An abysmal one?

Good mouse choice, basic but has a great sensor and doesn't need a driver to be installed. Apparently that model doesn't like cloth mouse pads. I'm a fan of Steelseries hard pads (particularly this one: http://www.nextworld.in/product.aspx?sku=HW6372 and this one: http://www.nextworld.in/product.aspx?sku=HW6365 ), but I guess any non-cloth pad will do.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2013, 02:16:44 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline suby4me

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 09:21:12 »
I've been using the razer vespula as a mousepad. It has dual sides, one that's smooth and the other is a bit sandy. They call the difference between the two speed vs. control. I've tried both and there are subtle differences. I use the smooth side with my cyborg mmo7 mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Vespula-Dual-Sided-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0036WTBFY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386775148&sr=8-2&keywords=razer+mouse+pads

current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 16:21:49 »
Damn i love the abyssus :) already feel alot of improvement in my accuracy.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 23:49:07 »
Everyone is going to give a different opinion, and everyone has very different hands and styles for using their mice. I have been an avid LoL player for a few years (too busy to play nowadays unfortunately :() and have gone through a good number of mice. Though some people call it bunk, I found my skillshots and accuracy to improve significantly with an true optical sensor. I have used a Deathadder, Sensei Raw, Roccat Savu, Corsair M95, Zowie FK and others, and my two favorites were the Roccat, the Zowie, and the Deathadder. Coincidentally (or not), those are the three with the optical sensor vs laser in the others.

I actually noticed that the laser mice felt weird to me after using an optical mouse before I knew anything about the sensors, so there's definitely something to it. I just feel like the mouse does exactly what I want it to with an optical mouse. Anyway, I would HIGHLY recommend Zowie mice. They're pricey, but they have flawless sensors, are high quality, and don't require any extra software. They're completely plug n' play. You can change the DPI and polling settings directly in the hardware! I've HATED having to use the various softwares that come with other mice to change settings (the SteelSeries one even caused my PC to crash on numerous occasions).

My current setup is a Zowie FK and a standard SteelSeries Qck. Never been happier with my mouse setup :) If you're looking for something more similar to the Deather, you can also check out the Zowie EV eVO's. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but that's my 2 cents. GL!

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 09:46:51 »
Yeah i am considering buying the zowie fk, seen so many people praise it, reviews have been good... but i already bought abyssus T.T
But knowing my impulsive ass i'll probably end up buying it ^^