Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage DOA?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline centizen

Kinesis Advantage DOA?
« on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 18:07:10 »
Hello everyone,

This Christmas I received a Kinesis Advantage wired contoured keyboard, but I'm having some problems getting it working.

I've tried it in three different computers, all running Windows 7 and all of them using USB2.0 ports. In each instance a USB Composite Device shows up, windows installs default drivers and the hub on the back of the keyboard starts to work (flash drives show up when plugged in). But it won't type, none of the status lights activate, and if it were not for the fact it shows up under windows I'd think it was DOA and go right for an RMA on it.

The manual says it automatically works in any Windows 7 install as long as it's a USB2 port, and there's no troubleshooting info that I can find about this. I really want to start using this keyboard, does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to get it working, or should I just return it for a new one?

Thanks, any have a happy holiday,

Michael

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Kinesis Advantage DOA?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 18:38:13 »
rma

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 04:11:07 »
Return it for a replacement. It should work as a keyboard out of the box.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 09:53:37 »
Contact Kinesis.  They could probably help more than us plebes here.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 23:58:09 »
There should be absolutely no issues with a Kinesis Contoured keyboard. Plug it in and type. It looks crazy different and has great firmware for programmability, but is a simple plug-n-play device like anything else. I've had a couple dozen of all vintages, and so if a different keyboard works on that same computer, all I can assume is either you got a unit with some kind of short or perhaps the key wells aren't seated all the way into the slots (hey, it could happen). Remove the 6 screws on the underside and check it out.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline vvp

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 02:36:24 »
My advantage keyboard does not sometimes start properly. It happens in about 1% of boots. I need to unplug it and plug it back (while the computer is running).

Offline hoggy

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 07:28:39 »
If you go for the open it up version, be very careful with some of the threads, the ones that support the keywells will strip on you if you tighten them all the way...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline centizen

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 23:45:43 »
Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.

I have already sent off an email to kinesis support, but since they are not available until January 2nd, I thought that I might be a good idea to ask you keyboard nuts in case there was something obvious I was missing.

I have also already opened it up, without issue. I have a lot of electrical engineering experience, and could not see any obvious failed components. However, there was one thing of note; there are two 8-pin DIP sockets on the main control board, and only one of them had an IC in it. The socket labelled U3 had no component in it. I'm wondering if anyone has a Kinesis they could open up to see if that empty socket is normal or not.

Other than that, I'm just waiting until I get an email back from support. Thanks for all of the help so far

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 03:12:54 »
The empty socket is for additional memory for programming, not basic functionality. It's populated only for the advanced models.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.