Author Topic: Opera  (Read 2488 times)

Offline 1996 Ford Taurus

Opera
« on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 18:03:59 »
Anybody here use Opera to browse the internet? I was just talking to a friend at work who recently switched to it. Do any of you guys like it at all?

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
Re: Opera
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 18:07:05 »
Anybody here use Opera to browse the internet? I was just talking to a friend at work who recently switched to it. Do any of you guys like it at all?

Damnitz.  I thought this was going to be about Opera, like Verdi and Puccini.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 18:10:17 »
I used to use Opera 12, but it kept breaking most sites for me, most likely due to corrupt files or something, but so far I've been using Chrome and not bothered starting on the arduous task of doing a clean reinstall of it and setting it up as it was without using any of the old files.

Anything newer than 12 is pretty lame, might as well just use Chrome instead tbh.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 18:12:00 »

Offline 1996 Ford Taurus

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 18:14:18 »
I used to use Opera 12, but it kept breaking most sites for me, most likely due to corrupt files or something, but so far I've been using Chrome and not bothered starting on the arduous task of doing a clean reinstall of it and setting it up as it was without using any of the old files.

Anything newer than 12 is pretty lame, might as well just use Chrome instead tbh.

I've been using Chrome a bit lately and it performs pretty well. Most of my browsing is done on a portable version of Firefox on my flash drive though.

Think Chrome overall is a better choice for web browsing from removable media than Opera?

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 19:02:10 »
I use opera, switched from chrome a while back after they added some incredibly annoying pop up thing telling me the weather that I simply had no idea or could see in the options to turn off. Google now it might have been called I don't remember. Might seem like something small but closing an external little box thing every time I use chrome was getting arduous lol.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 19:02:44 »
Opera 12 had the nicest mouseless-browsing solution-- bounce from interactive spot to sport with shift-arrows.
It also had a completent IRC and mail client built in.

Opera 15+ is far less compelling.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline tbc

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 19:08:44 »
opera had one of the goofiest rendering engines out there.  not oldIE bad, but still pretty awkward.

good riddance.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 23:40:52 »
Been my main browser since like 2009. Doesn't play well with some sites but I just switch to chrome if I have issues.

Like what was already said I don't see any reason to go past 12, and personally use 11.64

Most of the features that got me hooked on opera (speed dial, closed tabs list, mouse gestures, saved sessions, paste & go, inspect element, private tab, right click; block content, go to web address/search with, etc. I could go on...) have been copied and put into chrome, but I still haven't had enough of a reason to switch completely. I think what got me hooked in the first place was its lightweight GUI and ability to maximize viewable screen space. Notice the lack of navigation arrows etc. at the top of the screen.

Oh and I love the advanced shortcuts editor. Which is completely gone from new versions. ie; don't like having ctrl + T as your new tab command? go into the shortcuts editor and change it to ANYTHING you like. Or turn off individual keyboard shortcuts you push on accident... done it with a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, like ctrl + s etc. I don't use it... so I get rid of it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 May 2014, 23:56:00 by Lu_e »

Offline roaduck

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:08:34 »

I`ve got loads of browsers for five different operating systems on two dual boot computers and an old HP workstation.

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and Zorin OS8 32 bit Linux on my ASUS K53E lapdog.

My DELL desktop has Windows Tiny XP Pro 32 bit and Zorin OS8 32 bit Linux.

The HP workstation has Linux Knoppix 5.3 32 bit and regular Win XP Pro.

My main browser is the last Presto engine version of Opera - 12.15.1748.

I can`t stand Opera 21 with webkit it is so memory hungry - it`s dire with 50 tabs open.It can`t cope with a 1000 bookmarks nevermind 40,000 - I have a separate browser just for my favourites - which I`ve got installed!

Altogether I`ve got about thirty different web browsers and Opera 12.15.1748 is the undisputed king even for an old dog.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here`s a list of my other browsers :
--------------------------------------

OperAnk based on Opera mini portable - use on any device.

I also have about four or five totally different versions of Chrome and Chromium

Portable Iron browser (33.0.1750.117) based on Chrome

Safari for Windows

Nave Fliperac

Deepnet Security - Dualtrust

Pirate Browser

Internet Explorer 9 (only on sites that accept IE only)

OB1 OffbyOne browser

GPass

Tiny Browser

Whitehat Security - Aviator

Ultrasurf

Freegate

Iceweasel on Knoppix

Five different Windows versions of Firefox with multiple profiles
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But my absolute favourite is Opera 12.15 by a long chalk; I use it on my DELL Vostro 200 with a 22TB JBOD and my little 15 inch red ASUS lapdog.I couldn`t care less about it`s foibles it does most things brilliantly and on the odd site that trip it up...I`ve got plenty of other browsers to use.

66615-066617-166619-266621-3
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 02:20:23 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:18:33 »
opera had one of the goofiest rendering engines out there.  not oldIE bad, but still pretty awkward.

good riddance.

Opera was awesome, and the majority of the time any rendering issues were due to devs not coding to tighter standards or testing in Opera. Personally for the time I used it (for close to 9 years) I experienced perhaps 5% of sites with compatibility issues, many of which could be solved by masking the user agent (which Opera often did itself behind the scenes). It's a damn shame they had to switch rendering engines because of this, even if it allowed for greater compatibility.

The Presto version (pre v15) is still the most feature-rich, and memory-light browser out of the box. Nothing comes close. The day they switched to Blink and wiped out their forums and community was the day I switched to Firefox. To give some perspective it still can't do everything Opera 12 could even with 25 addons.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:20:20 by Coreda »

Offline roaduck

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:50:20 »
I totally concur with you Coreda - Webkit is a massive memory hog on post 15 Opera and Chrome/Chromium.

Opera 12 is so customisable and powerful I don`t use any other browser unless an important page won`t render properly.I breathe on all my browsers and my multiple OS`s anyway to get them to do what I want to do not what the developers would like me to do LOL!

I`ve done a little screenshot Coreda to illustrate the many Chrome and Firefox processes with one opened tab each and Opera with nine tabs open uses less memory than either or both!

66625-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 02:08:55 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask