Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 397668 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1400 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 23:43:43 »
Went out to Pizza Port with some friends and ran into another buddy that had opened up a 9 year old cherry sour.  Note that the bottle was 9 liters.  So very good.  Aged to a nice earthy brown with a clean cherry flavor and a nice bright sour finish. 
Show Image

That looks awesome.  I also love how the bottle is almost as big as you.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1401 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 11:56:31 »
Went out to Pizza Port with some friends and ran into another buddy that had opened up a 9 year old cherry sour.  Note that the bottle was 9 liters.  So very good.  Aged to a nice earthy brown with a clean cherry flavor and a nice bright sour finish. 
Show Image

Show Image

Holy ****. That's my idea of heaven right there.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1402 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 12:23:07 »
Show Image

That is epic

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #1403 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 13:54:09 »
Just went to this new brewery near me in Jersey City, Departed Soles. Cool place, good variety and atmosphere, and a ton of gluten free options which is perfect for my friends GF. Got this boxed set for my dad, I love the packaging for it.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1404 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 17:28:16 »
Just went to this new brewery near me in Jersey City, Departed Soles. Cool place, good variety and atmosphere, and a ton of gluten free options which is perfect for my friends GF. Got this boxed set for my dad, I love the packaging for it.

The ABV on the box is great  :))
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #1405 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 18:24:27 »

The ABV on the box is great  :))
The shoe lable was a great touch. It also came with GID shoelaces with their logo

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #1406 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 18:32:13 »
Getting trashed on Dragon's Milk at the moment. Good stuff. Shouldn't do this on a Sunday evening, but my life is going to ****... so why not?

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1407 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:41:34 »
Getting trashed on Dragon's Milk at the moment. Good stuff. Shouldn't do this on a Sunday evening, but my life is going to ****... so why not?

Sorry to hear that man. If you need to talk, I'm here.

I have two parts of a four part assessment due this week, which holds my fate in teaching. And the prompts are about as vague as can be.... Plus track season starts this week, and we have enrollment conferences this week. I might be picking up a six pack every night on the way home.

I suppose track will be my saving grace though. I look forward to finally working as a coach, and especially at this strong of a program.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #1408 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 20:03:23 »
I got a bottle of one of these last week. I hope its as good as Beeradvocate says.

Sorry to hear that man. If you need to talk, I'm here.

I have two parts of a four part assessment due this week, which holds my fate in teaching. And the prompts are about as vague as can be.... Plus track season starts this week, and we have enrollment conferences this week. I might be picking up a six pack every night on the way home.

I suppose track will be my saving grace though. I look forward to finally working as a coach, and especially at this strong of a program.

Are you a running or field coach?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #1409 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 20:06:03 »
Ooh, Flying Monkeys mention from our comrades down south. Nice!
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1410 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 20:06:33 »
Dunham Gouden Meyen, sadly average but great **** nose art.

Dunham Berliner Melon Weisse, very sour and refreshing!

Le Castor Wee Heavy Bourbon, maybe just a tad too strong but a nice finisher for the night.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #1411 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 13:46:30 »
Looks like some good stuff.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1412 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 20:31:00 »
Show Image

That is badass.  :D

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1413 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 17:00:58 »
130261-0

OH BOY

Nubs hooked me up

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1414 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:05:29 »
(Attachment Link)

OH BOY

Nubs hooked me up

So glad to see it made it in one piece.  I'm always paranoid.  I'm interested to see what you think of them.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1415 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:06:10 »
Currently at jester King. Killed off all their samples and grabbed some home goodies

130279-0
130281-1

The glass was a collab between prairie and jester king :)

And I still have the beer from Nubs to try tommorow o.o

Such a good day

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1416 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:08:22 »
That glass is awesome.  How was the jester king/prairie stuff?  I've never had jester king, but Prairie is one of my favorites.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1417 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:10:22 »
I'm hosting a tasting with a few award-winning brew masters tonight, going to demo this:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1418 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:15:22 »
That glass is awesome.  How was the jester king/prairie stuff?  I've never had jester king, but Prairie is one of my favorites.

Love the glass!

They didn't have any of the collab in bottles. But on tap it was great! I was actualy surprised they have ape snake (2 bottles per person though :( )

Have you had ape snake?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1419 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:16:53 »
Nope, I haven't.  I've snagged a lot of interesting stuff from them though, including an awesome goese.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1420 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:23:45 »
Nope, I haven't.  I've snagged a lot of interesting stuff from them though, including an awesome goese.

Well I am sending your dank ass one!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1421 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 20:27:59 »

Well I am sending your dank ass one!

:eek:   :p

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1422 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 21:35:34 »

So, I had fun doing a mini review of the beer from Bromono and decided to do one on the beer (or beers) I have tonight.

First up, Hopocalypse by Drake's, a 9.3% ABV, 100+ IBUs Double IPA

Appearance:  Thick head with tight bubbles upon first pour.  Good alcohol lacing as the head mellows.  A nice golden amber color.

Aroma: When you sniff it with a nice full head, you get a strong sweet citrus smell with notes of bitter citrus zest and mild hints of pine needle.

Taste: Initially, there's a strong citrus zest note paired with nice herbal or grassy notes, the latter being a flavor profile I love in IPAs as I feel it's grossly underused.  The herbal and grassy notes are accentuated by a subtle biscuity note like you find in Fat Tire, but, unlike Fat Tire, it's not offensive.  There's also some nice subtle floral components.  The finish is a mild pine needle and citrus zest finish with some nice slightly lingering bitterness.  It's assertive and hop forward like a good West Coast style IPA should be, but it's also balanced, a West Coast rarity.

On a side note, after I wrote my notes, I looked up what people were tasting in this just to see.  As I see more reviews, it really leads me to believe that either my taster is off or people just make up tasting notes based off of the hops they know are in it and what they're told to taste.

Back on topic:

Rating: 9.5/10

This is just a killer solid beer.  My favorite for a long time was Avery Maharajah, then I had a few others pop up, then Riip Dan K took the crown and competed with Alpine Hoppy Birthday, but I honestly think Hopocalypse may take the crown as my favorite IPA right now.  Definitely a beer to buy if you see it and you're into big West Coast IPAs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2016, 21:45:34 by nubbinator »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1423 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 22:33:40 »
Show Image

So, I had fun doing a mini review of the beer from Bromono and decided to do one on the beer (or beers) I have tonight.

First up, Hopocalypse by Drake's, a 9.3% ABV, 100+ IBUs Double IPA

Appearance:  Thick head with tight bubbles upon first pour.  Good alcohol lacing as the head mellows.  A nice golden amber color.

Aroma: When you sniff it with a nice full head, you get a strong sweet citrus smell with notes of bitter citrus zest and mild hints of pine needle.

Taste: Initially, there's a strong citrus zest note paired with nice herbal or grassy notes, the latter being a flavor profile I love in IPAs as I feel it's grossly underused.  The herbal and grassy notes are accentuated by a subtle biscuity note like you find in Fat Tire, but, unlike Fat Tire, it's not offensive.  There's also some nice subtle floral components.  The finish is a mild pine needle and citrus zest finish with some nice slightly lingering bitterness.  It's assertive and hop forward like a good West Coast style IPA should be, but it's also balanced, a West Coast rarity.

On a side note, after I wrote my notes, I looked up what people were tasting in this just to see.  As I see more reviews, it really leads me to believe that either my taster is off or people just make up tasting notes based off of the hops they know are in it and what they're told to taste.

Back on topic:

This is just a killer solid beer.  My favorite for a long time was Avery Maharajah, then I had a few others pop up, then Riip Dan K took the crown and competed with Alpine Hoppy Birthday, but I honestly think Hopocalypse may take the crown as my favorite IPA right now.  Definitely a beer to buy if you see it and you're into big West Coast IPAs.

That looks really good. The head on that thing looks really thick. What kind of citrus profile? I had one a couple months ago that was like orange juice it was crazy.

Also what glass is that?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1424 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 22:52:36 »
It's killer.  I can pick up a bottle tomorrow before or after I get my haircut if you want one (assuming they have any left).  The flavor is more of a grapefruit zest with hints of orange. I have another one I'm drinking right now that you might like that's like an awesome sour and mild tequila.

It's one of the Duvel by Mike Perry glasses.  I love it.

4 Sons Border Guard review is forthcoming.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1425 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 23:10:30 »
Second beer of the night, Border Guard by 4 Sons (sorry for the ****ty photo), 8.7% ABV, 350 total bottled, sour blonde ale aged in tequila barrels with brettanomyces

Appearance: Minimal head with thin bubbles.  No real alcohol lacing despite ABV.  It pours like a cask beer and looks like one too.  Nice deep, rich golden color.  Not quite amber, but a nice cloudy gold.

Aroma: Sour smell, but slightly fruity, almost like apricots, but can't pinpoint the fruit.  Slightly boozy smell, but not horribly so.  Definite scent of a nice peppery reposado tequila.

Taste:  Nice and sour/tart with subtle stone fruit notes and incredibly subtle biscuit notes. Nice mild peppery tequila flavors.  Finishes with the taste of silky oak.  Mild balanced brett yeast funkiness.

**** all the terrible things I've said about the myriad of ****ty brett beers, farmhouse ales, farmhouse saisons, and so on, this beer made me a convert.  All around balanced beer with a fantastic flavor profile.  You could slide these to me all night long and I wouldn't care since it's just such a nice balanced beer.

I rarely am this happy with my beer selection since I always try to grab something new, but tonight was a lucky night.  Others may disagree with me, but I think this beer is just a fantastic balanced beer.  If you asked me what style it belongs under , I'd probably say a sour, but it's really a complex yet balanced beer.  Would recommend to anyone who sees it and a steal at ~$11 a bottle.  I've had $15-20 beers that were worse.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #1426 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 23:13:02 »
I haven't been wowed by Jester King's regular stuff so far, but Prairie is a different story; great beers that are pretty easy to find around SE TX.

I'm going to be in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale for a while...anything I need to be on the lookout for?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1427 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 23:14:43 »
I don't know many of the small breweries in that area, but Drake's in is the Bay area and makes fantastic beers.  Definitely a brewery worth checking out.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1428 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 09:44:12 »
big shout out to nubbinator for hooking me up with some of his favorite local brews

can't wait to wet my whiskers with these tonight :D
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1429 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 10:29:11 »
Well, only some of them are favorites.  Modern Times stuff and Sculpin are super popular out here, so I figured you should try them.  I'll be really interested to hear what you think about the Koala Fud since it's an unusual beer.  The Dan K, Swami's, and Koala Fud are probably my favorite ones there.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1430 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 12:15:03 »
No picture, but tried the Muskoka Brewery unfiltered Twice as Mad Tom Double IPA yesterday. New favorite beer.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1431 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 13:02:06 »
130328-0

Appearance: Lacy head and the sound of the bubbles after pouring was pure asmr! Pours super golden and very clear.

Aroma: Has a piney smell with some citrus notes. But nothing is overpowering. Smells like a west coast IPA should.

Taste:  The grapefruit and pine are battling here. I don't know what one is the prominent note. Maybe the pine? could also be the fact I had another IPA before this. It finishes with a nice hop and but not as dank as usual west coast IPAs.

Rating: 8/10

I give it that rating out of personal preference of IPAs. This is a very refreshing beer and I can see my self wanting this while on the beach or after cutting the grass. But as a casual IPA to sip on with friends, I would look else where. Though I was pleased with the west coast style. Super hard to find west coast style IPAs in Texas (minus things like green flash)
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 March 2016, 13:09:01 by Bromono »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1432 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 13:07:39 »
Phone is wonky double post

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1433 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 21:54:14 »
Today's review, Modern Times Fruitlands Apricot a sour apricot Gose, 17 IBUs, 1.005 specific gravity, 4.8% ABV.

Appearance: Golden in color, nice tight full head that quickly fell, continued to bubble like champagne for several minutes after pouring.

Aroma:  Tart dried apricot with a slight briny/saltwater hint.

Taste: Tart dried or unripe apricot, hint of salt, wheat backbone, and a minerally, bitter copper finish.

Rating: 5/10

It was worth a try, but it does not stack up against other Goses I've had, even ones that cost half as much.  The tart apricot is overpowering, and the finish is just not a good gose finish.  Every now and then Modern Times wows me, but most of their stuff ends up tasting like a macrobrewery's take on a microbrew to me or just mediocre.  I know some might disagree, but while this is not a beer I would dump, it's not one I would ever buy again.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:16:14 by nubbinator »

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #1434 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:02:14 »
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1435 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 00:23:06 »
Second beer of the night, Modern Times City of the Dead  a dark stout coming in at 1.018 specific gravity, 30 IBUs, and 7.5% ABV made with coffee aged in bourbon barrels.

Appearance:  Dark coffee brown, almost black in color.  Thin head, but with nice longevity and good alcohol lacing.

Aroma: Coffee, vanilla tinged bourbon, cocoa nibs

Taste:  Strong initial coffee taste.  Not a simple one note coffee taste, but a nice, complex nutty dark roast coffee flavor with subtle cocoa.  Dark roasted malts are present.  Nutty coffee bitter and cocoa finish with the almost charred taste that a dark roast can give. Lingering roasted coffee and vanilla extract flavor.  No real booze heat.  A nice creamy mouthfeel despite only having a medium body.

Rating: 8.5/10

It's not the best stout I've ever had, but it is damn good and one I'd pick up again in a heartbeat.  Unlike the other Modern Times beer I had tonight, this one is solid and one I'd recommend to others.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 March 2016, 13:50:03 by nubbinator »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1436 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 14:31:16 »
Wow, we're getting official up in here!  Great reviews, guys.  :eek: 

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1437 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 14:56:52 »
Sweet baby jesus I wish I knew this site existed before!

https://craftcity.com/

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1438 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 15:06:58 »
Wait!  Are we doing reviews in this thread or the Bromono review thread?  I always thought this was more of a look what I am drinking thread, and Bromonos new thread is the official (unofficial) tasting thread. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1439 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 15:10:22 »
Wait!  Are we doing reviews in this thread or the Bromono review thread?  I always thought this was more of a look what I am drinking thread, and Bromonos new thread is the official (unofficial) tasting thread.

I am going to re-write that thread for reviews and trading. Build it like the coffee exchange. Put up a reviewing system for everyone to use and maybe people can post what they are looking for or have for trade.

Then again we could probably do this here.

I just made my own thread as a place people can review the beers I send to them. But its fun reviewing other beers people send too =P

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1440 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 15:19:38 »
I am going to re-write that thread for reviews and trading. Build it like the coffee exchange. Put up a reviewing system for everyone to use and maybe people can post what they are looking for or have for trade.

Just FYI, geekhack can't condone beer trading in any official manner.  Between the questionable legality of mailing beer and the potential for abuse (underage, etc), it's just not something that we can host publicly on the site.  If you want to discuss the matter with other members via PM, that is fine though.  :)

Note, this is subject to change at any time.  :thumb:  I'm in favor of trading beer on a personal level.  ;)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1441 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 15:42:40 »

Just FYI, geekhack can't condone beer trading in any official manner.  Between the questionable legality of mailing beer and the potential for abuse (underage, etc), it's just not something that we can host publicly on the site.  If you want to discuss the matter with other members via PM, that is fine though.  :)

Note, this is subject to change at any time.  :thumb:  I'm in favor of trading beer on a personal level.  ;)

Got it! Private it is.

I am thinking about reviewing this one next

https://www.craftcity.com/all-beers/all-breweries/prairie-artisan-ales/prairie-funky-gold-mosaic-500ml

sounds amazing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 March 2016, 15:51:07 by Bromono »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1442 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:59:04 »
Trying to finish up my beer list...

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1443 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 17:31:55 »
Trying to finish up my beer list...

Show Image

Is that like a beer club?

We have a place like that.

If you try 1000 unique beers oe something like that, you get a golden plate on the wall with what ever you want it to say.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1444 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 17:55:36 »
Just had this - http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/7971/

It was yummy in my tummy. :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1445 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:46:15 »
Is that like a beer club?

We have a place like that.

If you try 1000 unique beers oe something like that, you get a golden plate on the wall with what ever you want it to say.

Yep!  Just like that, but only 100 beers.  :P

Offline tstackhouse

• Bloghouse
« Reply #1446 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 13:49:14 »
Did someone say beer??

Here's part of the haul from a recent roadtrip! :D

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1447 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 15:19:45 »
Did someone say beer??

Here's part of the haul from a recent roadtrip! :D

Show Image

Did you grab any Prairie Apple Brandy Noir at all o.o

Btw there is a dude with a huge bat behind you.

Hope you are not dead

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1448 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 19:18:27 »
You ever have one of those beers where you go "why the hell did it take me so long to try this?," well Bell's Hopslam is that beer for me. 

Appearance:  tight, lacy head with good retention.  If you're not careful on your pour it will easily get away from you.  Good alcohol lacing.  Hazy golden color that doesn't appear clouded, but still hazy enough that you can't read a sheet of paper through the glass.

Aroma: huge hop bomb.  I was hit with the scent as I poured it.  I smelled grapefruit flesh and zest, slight tropical fruit (mango/papaya) and/or peach, and a sweet/sugary scent reminiscent of wild honey from areas without a ton of flowering fruits.  In other words, sweet, but earthy and not too floral or fruity.  This is always my weakest game area since I feel like I'm always slightly congested.

Taste:  The head is incredibly bitter, like taking a bite of grapefruit zest.  At first cold pour, it starts with a resinous pine hops flavor accompanied by malt (barley?) and honey sweetness and transitions to a bitter grapefruit zest finish.  The hops completely cover the booziness. As it warms, the alcohol becomes more apparent and the beer sweetens with honey and malt sweetness becoming more prominent and accompanied by grapefruit flesh and peach.

Rating: 9/10

I'd still take Drake's Hopocalypse most days of the week over Hopslam because I like the earthier notes with less sweetness, but Bell's Hopslam is a damn good IPA.  I think it would benefit from a little less honey or malt sweetness and drop to an 8.5-9% ABV instead of 10%, but overall a killer IPA that I would recommend in a heartbeat.

Next up are some Prairie beers from Bromono, an Eisbock from Mammoth Brewing (one of my favorite styles, but so few people do it), a Prairie I picked up on my own, and another local beer.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1449 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 19:22:43 »

today's poison.

it's okay.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.