Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 397653 times)

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1100 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 01:09:33 »
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1101 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:30:43 »
I found Surly outside of Minneapolis!  I thought they didn't do that, but apparently they do?  :)

Surly Furious by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1102 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 10:54:31 »
Had some great beer with Nubbinator last night.  He brought down the first 3 (3 of his favorites)

1:  Riip - Dan K IPA.  Very good IPA.  Not overly hopped with a nice citrus initial flavor (somewhat like fresh grapefruit), and a very soft after taste.  Not a West Coast style IPA. 
112081-0

2:  Prairie Artisan Ales - Prairie Gold.  Golden Ale Sour.  I have only had a couple sours, but this one was awesome - even my wife liked it and she hates most beer.  Initial taste is somewhat yeasty with a light punch of sour - not bitter or cheek puckering, just a nice little bite. 
112083-1

3:  Pretty Things - Barbapapa (Russian Imperial Stout).  We didn't get into this one, but he left it for me and the wifey to enjoy (Thank you).  My wife and I really enjoy dark beer, so we are very excited to try this one. 
112085-2

4 and 5:  I picked up some growlers from Stone of their limited release stuff.  1L of 08.08.08 Vertical Epic rerelease and 2L of Coffee Milk Stout with Chocolate Mint.  The Vertical Epic is everything I remember from the initial release, super floral, with a bit of spice.  The Mint Stout is actually a copy of one they did a couple years back.  The original was very heavy and filling but with good flavor.  This current one is a little lighter and dare I say it, refreshing.  The initial flavor is coffee and it is pretty strong, but the feel is pretty light for a milk stout and the lingering flavor is the chocolate.  The mint just adds a bit of crispness, you have to really look for the flavor of it.  Very good. 
112087-3

And no, we did not kill all of this in one evening. 

Edit:  For some reason, those sideways photos refuse to be rotated.  I took them with my phone and even though I rotate them, they keep showing up like that.  Oh well. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 September 2015, 11:00:05 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1103 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 11:24:51 »
Had some great beer with Nubbinator last night.

Man, this post makes me all sorts of jelly.  ^-^  I've never had any of those, but it all looks so good.  And that fat growler looks funny.  :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1104 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 18:28:30 »

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #1105 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 02:22:57 »

Never trust a man with two first names

Online iri

« Reply #1106 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 08:47:07 »
Suzdal 's hefeweizen is meh (not that anyone cares)
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1107 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 12:21:05 »
Canadian thanks giving! But I'm British... and live in Quebec... Long weekend is a good enough reason to try some new beers  :thumb:

Offline tribade

« Reply #1108 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 18:34:25 »
Having some really special beer today:

Framboise for a cure! Russian river brewing. Raspberry sour with two pounds of raspberries per gallon. All the proceeds go to sutter breast cancer research. And it's predictably amazing.

Also, I was lucky enough to just be bought a beer by the lagunitas tap room manager. Doesn't get much better than that.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Online iri

« Reply #1109 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 07:37:38 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline drewba

« Reply #1110 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 22:28:33 »
Fresh, this beer tasted like well whiskey. 2 years later it pretty much tastes like a barrel. 3/5

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1111 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 09:21:39 »
Fresh, this beer tasted like well whiskey. 2 years later it pretty much tastes like a barrel. 3/5

How do you store them that long? [serious]

I want to store some sours and an imperial stout and build a beer cellar of sorts, but I'm not sure how to best store them long term. A few have cork caps, while others are a plain bottle cap.

Also, as I was reading labels at the large, local liqueur store, I happened across this beauty. I'm really looking forward to giving her a try. I'm just not sure if I should try and pair it with a meal (as the way I normally sample high-end beers), or just sip through it slowly. Either way, I'm excited. I love darks. I love sours. Now it's time to see if I'll enjoy the two combined.

Plus, as a college kid, the label style hit home.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline drewba

« Reply #1112 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 16:01:52 »

I want to store some sours and an imperial stout and build a beer cellar of sorts, but I'm not sure how to best store them long term. A few have cork caps, while others are a plain bottle cap.

Store in a cool (55 degrees is optimal) place where there is zero chance of light pollution. Like a basement, crawl space, etc. A beer/wine fridge is fine as well but there are a few things to note: generally you'll be much lower than 55 degrees (in theory your beer will "age" slower), your chance of developing chill haze increases (chill haze doesn't affect taste, just appearance, possibly mouthfeel) & a cork will dry out in a beer fridge which can be a pain in the ass when you eventually decide to open the bottle. If you can't get close to 55 degrees, any beer that is cellar-able will be fine, flavors will just develop faster.

It's worth noting that cellaring a beer won't necessarily improve the flavor of a beer (on the contrary, in my experience). General rule of thumb is to buy 2 bottles, drink one fresh and cellar the second if you feel there are aspects of the beer that will develop with age. For instance, that bottle of Uncle Jacobs I posted above was extremely boozy fresh, the alcohol heat mellowed out a lot after 2 years. It's a fun science experiment. TLDR: Just because you can cellar a beer doesn't mean that you should.

There are a lot of good cellaring resources to read on beeradvocate & ratebeer, let me know if you have questions.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1113 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 16:47:45 »
Canadian thanks giving! But I'm British... and live in Quebec... Long weekend is a good enough reason to try some new beers  :thumb:

Show Image

So, the Imperial Sotolon was one of the grossest beers I've had in a long time! Both me and my GF couldn't finish our glasses. The description of maple and coffee flavours made me think it'd be right up my alley... oh well.

Weiss O'Lantern was pretty average but I was eating some top class pie at the same time so that might have clouded my judgement. One of the weaker beers from Beaus who I am quite a fan of.

Drinking a fair bit of this atm: Beaus Kissmeyerm, Nordic Pale Ale

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1114 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 07:53:42 »

Store in a cool (55 degrees is optimal) place where there is zero chance of light pollution. Like a basement, crawl space, etc. A beer/wine fridge is fine as well but there are a few things to note: generally you'll be much lower than 55 degrees (in theory your beer will "age" slower), your chance of developing chill haze increases (chill haze doesn't affect taste, just appearance, possibly mouthfeel) & a cork will dry out in a beer fridge which can be a pain in the ass when you eventually decide to open the bottle. If you can't get close to 55 degrees, any beer that is cellar-able will be fine, flavors will just develop faster.

It's worth noting that cellaring a beer won't necessarily improve the flavor of a beer (on the contrary, in my experience). General rule of thumb is to buy 2 bottles, drink one fresh and cellar the second if you feel there are aspects of the beer that will develop with age. For instance, that bottle of Uncle Jacobs I posted above was extremely boozy fresh, the alcohol heat mellowed out a lot after 2 years. It's a fun science experiment. TLDR: Just because you can cellar a beer doesn't mean that you should.

There are a lot of good cellaring resources to read on beeradvocate & ratebeer, let me know if you have questions.

Great response. About 6 months ago, I bought Mother's MILF (imperial stout aged in whiskey(?) barrels). She certainly had a hard kick with the booze taste. It sounds like I needed to age it a little longer (aged 1 12oz bottle 6 months).

The beers I was looking at aging were: New Belgium's La Folley (to be honest, I just always want to have one on hand), and two Boulevard Imperial Stouts from this season (an Aztec Chocolate, and their Coffee Ale).

I have never tried the Aztec Chocolate though. And the Coffee Ale is one of my favorites. I think I really wanted to store that one so I could pop it open for a special occasion outside the month of February. 

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline drewba

« Reply #1115 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 12:54:13 »
Great response. About 6 months ago, I bought Mother's MILF (imperial stout aged in whiskey(?) barrels). She certainly had a hard kick with the booze taste. It sounds like I needed to age it a little longer (aged 1 12oz bottle 6 months).

The beers I was looking at aging were: New Belgium's La Folley (to be honest, I just always want to have one on hand), and two Boulevard Imperial Stouts from this season (an Aztec Chocolate, and their Coffee Ale).

I have never tried the Aztec Chocolate though. And the Coffee Ale is one of my favorites. I think I really wanted to store that one so I could pop it open for a special occasion outside the month of February.
La Folie used to be flash pasteurized which means that the aging process has stopped & won't develop. If I recall correctly, New Belgium reverted back to bottle conditioning La Folie - just check the bottle and make sure it's bottle conditioned, then feel free to cellar that sucker.

I've had good luck cellaring Boulevard beers, particularly Bourbon Barrel Quad & Saison Brett. I'm sure both those stouts are good candidates, just know that coffee as a flavor fades faster than most other flavors. If you like fresh coffee, you are effectively throwing away that experience by aging a bottle. There will always be some residual coffee flavor leftover if you choose to age it, but I find it tastes more like green peppers than it does coffee. Or maybe the coffee fading out is exactly what the beer needed to be better (brewers be damned!). Who knows! Just have fun with it.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1116 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:36:42 »

La Folie used to be flash pasteurized which means that the aging process has stopped & won't develop. If I recall correctly, New Belgium reverted back to bottle conditioning La Folie - just check the bottle and make sure it's bottle conditioned, then feel free to cellar that sucker.

I've had good luck cellaring Boulevard beers, particularly Bourbon Barrel Quad & Saison Brett. I'm sure both those stouts are good candidates, just know that coffee as a flavor fades faster than most other flavors. If you like fresh coffee, you are effectively throwing away that experience by aging a bottle. There will always be some residual coffee flavor leftover if you choose to age it, but I find it tastes more like green peppers than it does coffee. Or maybe the coffee fading out is exactly what the beer needed to be better (brewers be damned!). Who knows! Just have fun with it.

I love that Imperial Stout Coffee Ale for its coffee notes. Looks like I'll be working on that this Sunday. It's a heavy hitter at 11% alcohol, but so great.

I don't see anything on the La Folie about being conditioned, but even if the flavors don't change, it'll be nice to have on hand.

Thanks so much!

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1117 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:17:35 »
Speaking of coffee...friend just sent me a picture of some Noble Naughty Sauce on tap at our favorite bar. Must. Acquire.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1118 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:44:04 »
Enjoying one of my favorite brews, the Boulevard Imperial Stout X Coffee Ale. The coffee flavors do seem to have diminished since I purchased it. I tried a bottle back in the release month of February, which had heavy coffee tones. Unfortunately, they are not so much there anymore. Nevertheless, it's still incredibly delicious. The flavor is robust, and thick. For being an 11%er, it really is smooth. Time for a good Sunday night!

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1119 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:07:47 »
I picked up a few four packs of these guys when a local grocery store had them last year. I love dark beer.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1120 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:08:10 »
I picked up a few four packs of these guys when a local grocery store had them last year. I love dark beer.

Show Image

Awesome. I can only say I've tried their Honkers on tap at a local irish bar, I would love to try some of their dark stuff  :thumb:

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #1121 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:33:15 »

Atwater Vinela Java Portor has become my new favorite beer. Though the 1st time I had it, it was at the brewery on a Nitro pour so that colors my opinion quite a bit. That being said that beer has opened my eyes as to how much I love nitro poured beers.

Offline geekhack360

« Reply #1122 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:08:17 »
I have 3 month old PBR that I've been saving for something special.

PM me your offers and don't lowball me!

Oh yeah, well I've got 1 year old Coors.

Offline Kola93

« Reply #1123 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:21:59 »
I love Belgian sours. They are good. ^-^

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1124 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:00:26 »
Trying out one of the new new Dieu du Ciel beers: imperial dark saison

Offline drewba

« Reply #1125 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:20:49 »

Show Image

How did you like it? I'll be honest, to me "imperial dark saison" sounds like the worst kind of indulgence but I do have a soft spot for Dieu du Ciel.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1126 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:13:12 »
Show Image

Atwater Vinela Java Portor has become my new favorite beer. Though the 1st time I had it, it was at the brewery on a Nitro pour so that colors my opinion quite a bit. That being said that beer has opened my eyes as to how much I love nitro poured beers.

Ohhh, tell me more. I haven't seen this one out there, but it looks delicious.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Online iri

« Reply #1127 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:53:58 »
iri's home brewed Kilner Lager

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1128 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:05:49 »

Show Image

How did you like it? I'll be honest, to me "imperial dark saison" sounds like the worst kind of indulgence but I do have a soft spot for Dieu du Ciel.

Yeah, it is pretty intense. Haven't really made my mind up on it yet. It has a really strong dark taste that you would expect from a beer that colour and percentage but still has a very notable sour after taste. DDC are pretty good an mixing up styles of beers but I can't say I am very well versed in what imperial dark saison is MEANT to taste like  :p

Would drink one at the end of an evening. Bit too strong/wacky to enjoy with a meal   :thumb:

Offline drewba

« Reply #1129 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:17:25 »
I can't say I am very well versed in what imperial dark saison is MEANT to taste like  :p

Hehe that's why I made the comment, it's essentially a new style of beer. I'll give it a try if it makes it to the states, cheers :p

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1130 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:24:05 »
I just had the Tahoe Mountain Brewing Old Bayard last night.  I forgot to take a pic of the bottle, but it was so delicious.  A Brett conditioned brown ale that was aged in wine barrels.  I wasn't expecting anything awesome from it, but it was awesome.  They're probably one of my top breweries up there with Prairie.

I also had some Alpine IPAs this weekend.  Once they warmed up, they were awesome.  I always find it weird how an IPA can be awful if overchilled or too warm, but if you hit that just right temp (somewhere around 45-55F I think), it opens up and is awesome.

Offline drewba

« Reply #1131 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:50:46 »
I just had the Tahoe Mountain Brewing Old Bayard last night.  I forgot to take a pic of the bottle, but it was so delicious.  A Brett conditioned brown ale that was aged in wine barrels.  I wasn't expecting anything awesome from it, but it was awesome.  They're probably one of my top breweries up there with Prairie.

I also had some Alpine IPAs this weekend.  Once they warmed up, they were awesome.  I always find it weird how an IPA can be awful if overchilled or too warm, but if you hit that just right temp (somewhere around 45-55F I think), it opens up and is awesome.

I am jealous of your Alpine IPAs. Duet & Pure Hoppiness may be my favorite beers in all of California
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:55:28 by drewba »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1132 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:58:16 »
More

I am jealous of your Alpine IPAs. Duet & Pure Hoppiness may be my favorite beers in all of California

I forgot the name of the first one, I think it was just called Nelson, a Nelson hop rye lager.  The second one was Hoppy Birthday.  The only reason I was able to get one is because I'm a regular at the place and they like to offer stuff to regulars before it goes on the floor.  The Nelson was awesome, the Hoppy Birthday was good, just not my style.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #1133 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:32:07 »
Show Image

It's a smaller Michigan brewery in Detroit. Most of the Michigan breweries that I have had are all pretty great to be honest. I have had this one in bottle form and on tab and the difference from tap and bottle is pretty noticeable. After having this I have made it my mission to find local bars that have Nitro taps. This one was so good because Nitro beer gives you such a creamy consistency it's almost like a vanilla coffee milkshake.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1134 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 05:49:28 »
Show Image

It's a smaller Michigan brewery in Detroit. Most of the Michigan breweries that I have had are all pretty great to be honest. I have had this one in bottle form and on tab and the difference from tap and bottle is pretty noticeable. After having this I have made it my mission to find local bars that have Nitro taps. This one was so good because Nitro beer gives you such a creamy consistency it's almost like a vanilla coffee milkshake.

Sign me up! I had a vanilla porter in Colorado (it wasn't Breckenridge's) that was a nitro pour. I wish I could recall the name because it's one of my favorites of all time. It was so creamy and rich. That and I was drinking it while eating meatloaf wrapped in bacon.... I need to go back to Colorado.

It's my goal to visit the north here within a year or two. I'll certainly be looking for good tap houses and brews to try, so feel free to share your locations :thumb: I need to try the Surly coffee beer as well. I need to make a short trip up to the northern states soon.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1135 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:57:23 »
I must be weird because I absolutely hate nitro beers.  Beers on randall?  Awesome, keep them coming.  Nitro beers?  They totally kill all flavor and, personally, I hate the mouth feel. 

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1136 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 11:09:48 »
I must be weird because I absolutely hate nitro beers.  Beers on randall?  Awesome, keep them coming.  Nitro beers?  They totally kill all flavor and, personally, I hate the mouth feel.

I have mixed feelings on nitros. I've only had two: one was on tap at a restaurant and was one of my favorite beers of all time, the other is Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter, which I have mixed feelings on. I don't go out of my way to try nitros. There is that Sawtooth or whatever that we have all over the place that's a nitro. I still haven't tried it. I always opt for a different imperial stout or something.

I'm not familiar with randall.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1137 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:20:19 »
Randalls are awesome.  They enable you to infuse the beer as it goes from keg to tap.  Some places do hops to give fresh crisp hops, I've had coffee, cocoa nibs, dried citrus peel, different herbs, and so on.  You can make a good beer great with a Randall...of course, you can also make it terrible if you infuse the wrong things, but they're a cool "toy".

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1138 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:49:15 »
Randalls are awesome.  They enable you to infuse the beer as it goes from keg to tap.  Some places do hops to give fresh crisp hops, I've had coffee, cocoa nibs, dried citrus peel, different herbs, and so on.  You can make a good beer great with a Randall...of course, you can also make it terrible if you infuse the wrong things, but they're a cool "toy".

Ohh, just Googled it. That looks delicious. Especially with coffee! I can't say I've ever heard of that, or seen it. Is it common around where you're from? Is it more of a regional thing?

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1139 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:01:20 »

Ohh, just Googled it. That looks delicious. Especially with coffee! I can't say I've ever heard of that, or seen it. Is it common around where you're from? Is it more of a regional thing?

I saw them in Texas and Washington and I've heard of them being more common on the East Coast.  I haven't seen any locally, but I haven't given up yet.   They're pretty uncommon and tend to be more of a beer geek thing.  Fresh hops through a randall are pretty awesome.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #1140 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:59:16 »

Not at all. I personally understand why some people don't like them as they are VERY different from a traditional beer texture. I could never imagine them being good with anything other than a rich porter or stout. The thing is there as such different kinds of beers to like that it's hard to keep them all under the same umbrella word of "beer".  For instance I love a nice rich creamy dark beer in the fall/winter months, but would rarely have more than 1 in a single sitting. My buddy used to say that a Guinness was like a nice turkey dinner, fills you up and leaves you feeling full; where as I have been known to enjoy quite a few Weissbier which are completely different in almost every way. To each their own palette, as long as we can all throw one back and have a laugh. 

Offline drewba

« Reply #1141 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 14:04:21 »

I saw them in Texas and Washington and I've heard of them being more common on the East Coast.  I haven't seen any locally, but I haven't given up yet.   They're pretty uncommon and tend to be more of a beer geek thing.  Fresh hops through a randall are pretty awesome.

Dogfish Head coined "Randall", you can buy a mini randall on their website, you used to be able to find a few other types on amazon. If you have a french press, experimenting with infusions is fun. Imperial Stout + coffee/vanilla beans/ancho chiles/coconut =  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1142 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 14:18:09 »

Not at all. I personally understand why some people don't like them as they are VERY different from a traditional beer texture. I could never imagine them being good with anything other than a rich porter or stout. The thing is there as such different kinds of beers to like that it's hard to keep them all under the same umbrella word of "beer".  For instance I love a nice rich creamy dark beer in the fall/winter months, but would rarely have more than 1 in a single sitting. My buddy used to say that a Guinness was like a nice turkey dinner, fills you up and leaves you feeling full; where as I have been known to enjoy quite a few Weissbier which are completely different in almost every way. To each their own palette, as long as we can all throw one back and have a laugh.

I could see that being true. I had my first Guinness Extra Stout last month. My roommate said, "man, it'll fill you up. It's the kind of beer where you just drink one and you're done." But I was drinking a Stag an hour after finishing that extra stout. It was thick though. So good. Another friend and I were discussing the difference between a good winter and summer beer. I can't say any of the lighter stuff I've tried are on my favorite list of brews. My top 5 list is pretty much a stack of dark, fall/winter stouts. Maybe someone could recommend something else for me to try that would break this mold? But those rich, dark beers just can't be beat IMO. I go nuts when the coffee stouts from the local breweries start getting stocked on the shelves. There are good times to be had :thumb:

Dogfish Head coined "Randall", you can buy a mini randall on their website, you used to be able to find a few other types on amazon. If you have a french press, experimenting with infusions is fun. Imperial Stout + coffee/vanilla beans/ancho chiles/coconut =  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
[/quote]

Interesting. I broke my french press about 6 months ago. I don't miss the coffee style is brewed (not a fan of robust boldness of a cup of joe out of a french press), but if it means I could add a little coffee flavor to a beer, I might have to pick one up. Do you grind the coffee beans? How long do you let it steep?

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline drewba

« Reply #1143 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 14:29:49 »
Interesting. I broke my french press about 6 months ago. I don't miss the coffee style is brewed (not a fan of robust boldness of a cup of joe out of a french press), but if it means I could add a little coffee flavor to a beer, I might have to pick one up. Do you grind the coffee beans? How long do you let it steep?

I've done a coarse grind as well as whole beans. Depends how much coffee flavor you're looking for. You really can't mess it up as long as you keep the grounds (or whatever it is that you use to infuse) out of the beer.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1144 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 17:53:14 »
Something new to try tonight  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1145 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 19:42:31 »

One of these is being sent in the mail.

I haven't had the Mammoth yet, but I have yet to be disappointed by anything from them.  The Alpine is fantastic, but best drunk above fridge temp.  It needs to warm up some to open up and really be awesome.  The Tahoe Mountain Old Bayard is fantastic.  A little sour, a little funky, all around killer. I've never had something bad from them either.  Two of my favorite and most consistent breweries in the pic.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1146 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:12:16 »
Show Image

One of these is being sent in the mail.

I haven't had the Mammoth yet, but I have yet to be disappointed by anything from them.  The Alpine is fantastic, but best drunk above fridge temp.  It needs to warm up some to open up and really be awesome.  The Tahoe Mountain Old Bayard is fantastic.  A little sour, a little funky, all around killer. I've never had something bad from them either.  Two of my favorite and most consistent breweries in the pic.

Is that a Green Flash bottle of Nelson? The stuff made with Alpine water is so much better though!

and agreed, Tahoe Mt has been killing it lately, even after losing the brewer responsible for the Recolte du Bois

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1147 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:24:11 »
Well, Green Flash and Alpine see kind of the same new (Alpine still tastes better, IMO), so I guess they decided to save on costs and use the same bottles for both brands.

Tahoe, Mother Earth, Pretty Things, and Prairie are probably my current favorites when looking at the full body of what they make.

Online iri

« Reply #1148 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:07:29 »
Pros of American beer:

• fancy labels

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1149 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 15:22:21 »
Well, Green Flash and Alpine see kind of the same new (Alpine still tastes better, IMO), so I guess they decided to save on costs and use the same bottles for both brands.

Tahoe, Mother Earth, Pretty Things, and Prairie are probably my current favorites when looking at the full body of what they make.

Mother Earth as in the little brew pub thing in north county SD? I haven't been there since they opened but I remember it being decent.