Author Topic: [Give Away] IBM Model F XT  (Read 9128 times)

Offline neverused

[Give Away] IBM Model F XT
« on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:49:07 »
Edit: the winner is livingspeedbump!

This forum has given me a lot, I've gained priceless knowledge, met great people, and been the beneficiary of many generous members. With that said, I would like to propose a give away. I have one IBM Model F XT that I purchased from compgeek on DT. It can use a little cleaning, but I am assured that it is in working order, as he checked it on an original system. With a teensy as a converter, this maybe a fun board for someone.

The give away is this: please nominate a member that has shown you or others generosity. Give details, we want to know all the good deeds going on around here. After one week (ending November 17, 2015 at 11:59pm AZ time), I'll tally up the nominations and announce a winner. If the winner accepts, I will mail the board to them directly.

Details: You cannot nominate yourself. CONUS if possible please, though if someone like bunnylake comes in, wags his fluffy tail and wins, I'll find some way to get this beast of a board across the pond. You can nominate more than one person, just please do separate posts so I can sort easier.

Have fun and I hope we get a lot of nominations!

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 23:51:37 by neverused »

Offline neverused

Re: [Give Away] IBM Model F XT
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 11:05:42 »
Current nominees and count (if more than 1):

1swtgs= 2
ander
asdfjkl36= 2
Badwrench
Booper
BroCaps
BunnyLake
codyeatworld
demik
fohat.digs
katzenkinder
inanis= 2
jerue
leeku
livingspeedbump= 5
nickheller
mobbo
noisyturtle
Oobly
rm-rf
Rowdy
SamirD
Snowdog9932
SpAmRaY
Wcass
XMIT
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:43:29 by neverused »

Offline neverused

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:19:34 »
Really? Nothing? No one?

With the Free Stuff thread and the pay it forward threads we still have no nominations yet?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:26:53 »
Ohhhh man, I forever regret selling my F AT a few years ago.

I never help anyone, so no one will nominate me :(

and so through a random generator I nominate... Booper

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:31:33 »
I nominate leeku for so many reasons.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline hyperhopper

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:35:27 »
I nominate asdfjkl36 for sending me free keycaps when I was asking where I could buy some myself, and for being extremely helpful as well

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:38:01 »
I nominate noisyturtle. He's often quite nice and he nominated Booper.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:42:25 »
Wcass has been extremely generous with all things F - with the entire XTant project topping them all.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:49:02 »
I nominate noisyturtle. He's often quite nice and he nominated Booper.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:55:27 »
First nomination is for inanis.  She has been so active and so generously donated most of her collection of keyboard stuff to raise $$ for Destiny. 

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:55:56 »
Second nomination is for codyeatworld.  He has been so diligent behind the scene over at ctrlalt getting everyone their stuff and apologizing when he has no need to. 

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:57:56 »
Third nomination is 1swtgs.  He is new here and has been doing it right.  He is very positive with his posts and asks genuine questions (both in pm and in thread).  It's nice to see a new member really try to be part of what we have here rather than just crap post to get in a bro sale. 

Offline neverused

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:56:21 »
Third nomination is 1swtgs.  He is new here and has been doing it right.  He is very positive with his posts and asks genuine questions (both in pm and in thread).  It's nice to see a new member really try to be part of what we have here rather than just crap post to get in a bro sale.

First nomination is for inanis.  She has been so active and so generously donated most of her collection of keyboard stuff to raise $$ for Destiny.

I nominate asdfjkl36 for sending me free keycaps when I was asking where I could buy some myself, and for being extremely helpful as well

Second nomination is for codyeatworld.  He has been so diligent behind the scene over at ctrlalt getting everyone their stuff and apologizing when he has no need to.
Great! Keep these coming, these are good ones.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:37:15 »

Great! Keep these coming, these are good ones.

I also nominate Badwrench, who also auctioned off stuff for Destiny but he's too modest to say so.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:51:33 »
Nominating livingspeedbump. I was recently made aware of one newbie with whom lsb spent a lot of time in PMs and emails, answering questions and offering advice. I'm sure that newbie is one of many who we never hear about. Not to mention everything else he's got going on around here.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 02:25:58 »
i nominate rm-rf because he definitely needs more beige keyboards!!!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 02:47:20 »
i nominate rm-rf because he definitely needs more beige keyboards!!!
that sure would be nice to have.

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Cooler than your average kid ;)
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 12:38:36 »
Nominating nickheller for just being a friendly, welcoming, and generous guy

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 12:39:35 »
Nominating BunnyLake for making awesome things for the community despite the fact that him and his wife just welcomed a beautiful baby boy.

Offline Remenition

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 12:40:42 »
Nominating BroCaps for similar reasons as BunnyLake. He took so much **** over that silly post count drama and people on reddit have just been absolutely nasty towards him. Despite these facts, he still continues to make awesome caps while somehow balancing his family life.

Offline neverused

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:18:54 »
BUMP!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:22:55 »
Nominating 1swtgs because I think he deserves it for being awesome, and to have something to oogle over other than translucent gasmasks :P

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:23:51 »
nominating livingspeedbump for his legendary beard and his legendary kindness towards one another in this community  :thumb:

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:27:00 »
nominating inanis because she is awesome, and so she can use this board to create imaginary scenarios where she hits manager on the head with this. he deserves it :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:28:04 »
I win!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:38:10 »
I nominate ander, I bet he would appreciate it.

Please, no one nominate me, I already have one and will respectfully decline if I win. I don't expect to win.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:38:53 »

Please, no one nominate me, I already have one and will respectfully decline if I win. I don't expect to win.
I nominate you
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:58:10 »
I just found this thread, and you guys that nominated me are beyond wonderful. I don't even know what to say. Now I'm blushing over here.

I am going to have to hand out some nominations too. They will be here soon. Promise!

Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline neverused

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:00:03 »

I nominate you
The kind demik

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:27:35 »
I nominate demik. Because, demik.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 17:07:34 »
Nominating Rowdy for being awesome all the time on GH.
Also he's looking for an F it seems.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 02:13:19 »
Just also tuned in, don't know how I missed this thread!

Thanks for all the nominations and kind words (: My short time here has been so welcoming and everyone here is freaking awesome! Gives me an excuse to pound away at my new mechs! I really feel as if I'm a child and you all are my parents nurturing me to become well versed in mechs, artisans, keycaps, etc.

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 03:55:06 »
Oobly

He's helped me out quite a bit, saving me a lot of time and research with my current interest check along with all the other ic's I see him involved with.  Good guy, Oobly.

*Missed the CONUS part.  I standby my nomination.  I'll help with shipping if he was to win.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline neverused

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 09:13:21 »
Keep it up! We currently have a three-way tie, but we need more votes/nominations!

Offline neverused

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 09:35:27 »

Offline neverused

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:58:14 »
2 days left, come on there are hardly any nominations!

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 20:02:35 »
mobbo and kaztenkinder

Mobbo- great guy, started around the same time i did and had some pleasant conversations about caps. First canuck I talked with on GH

katzenkinder - this man is a god and overall a super nice guy. He's underrated and work extremely hard in order to make his caps the best they can be, he deserves our respect or at least a chance to get that IBM

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 02:00:29 »
I really, really am tempted to nominate Snowdog993. He's indeed very generous and likable—but the reason I'd nominate him is because I know how much he dislikes Model F's and it'd be a real laugh if he won one.  :?D

Other than that, it's a very hard choice, as there are so many great, helpful people here. A few come to mind right away, but I know they have as many KBs as they'll ever want.

So I'll put in my vote for:

SamirD

...whom I believe just recently got started in the wonderful MK world, and is really enjoying it. I don't think he has any style of Model F yet, and I know he'd get a charge out of fixing this one up. Plus, he's a really nice dude.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 02:02:05 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 03:34:52 »
I'll also nominate Snowdog993 - he doesn't hesitate to hop in to help someone with any buckling spring questions.  He has responded a number of times to queries I've had, and usually posts a couple of pictures of his collection as inspiration.

Although as ander noted, he apparently doesn't like Model F, so make of it what you will.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 03:37:29 »
I'd also like to nominate fohat.digs, who often provides valuable technical advice with a succinct and easily understandable explanation, and usually involves some sort of buckling spring device.  He also provided some valuable non-keyboard-related advise in my speaker thread recently, as well as writing an excellent F122 ISO to ANSI conversion guide that I intend to follow to convert mine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 04:10:45 »
jerue - For doing giveaways and being really helpful to a newbie like myself.   

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 04:36:32 »
I support the livingspeedbump nomination. He does a whole lot for this community in the background and keeps things rolling along. Also super helpful and informative.

Thanks so much, Pwner for the nomination, I'm flattered, but I think I'd prefer it to stay in CONUS since the shipping for a Model F is high and it doesn't make much sense. Thanks again, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:02:09 »
I'd also like to nominate fohat.digs, who often provides valuable technical advice with a succinct and easily understandable explanation,

Thank you for the kind words, but I don't need it. I have most of 2 XTs in parts, of which I need 1 for my XTant if I ever build it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:14:13 »
+1 for livingspeedbump (if we can even +1 here)
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:14:48 »
I'd like to nominate asdfjkl36 for taking the time to write some insanely detailed responses to a few newbie questions I had.

I'd also like to nominate SpAmRaY for generously hosting an awesome giveaway, and helping me out with a few questions. 

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:17:58 »
livingspeedbump is a legend.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline neverused

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:18:08 »
+1 for livingspeedbump (if we can even +1 here)
Please do! The more votes/nominations the better.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:19:14 »
nickheller is also a legend.

both dudes are chill and fun to chat with
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:21:50 »
I'll throw in a second nomination for nickheller, he's an awesome dude who's helped me with some great additions to my Bro collection, and he's just plain cool. :D
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:49:58 »

I'd also like to nominate SpAmRaY for generously hosting an awesome giveaway, and helping me out with a few questions.

I greatly appreciate the thought but I already have more model f than I want. :thumb: