Author Topic: Getting Things Done  (Read 2930 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Getting Things Done
« on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 09:27:58 »
Has anyone read this book? I've been meaning to read it for years and I finally got to the point where I can't put off getting organized any longer.

I'm through chapter 2, and so far it feels like David Allen wrote the book just for me. The way he describes how tasks come in and overwhelm us is so spot-on, and the parts I've read so far about how to manage it all, really seem to make a lot of sense.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else here has read GTD and/or adopted the methodology.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Belfong

Re: Getting Things Done
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 09:43:17 »
I’m using Things app which helps to get things done. And while I have not read the book, I read that the app can cater to this methodology.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 09:54:11 »
I've been a big fan of GTD for a long time now and re-read it now and again. It's a great book and has really stood the test of time.

What I like best about it is that it's not based on a specific tool and the concepts can be applied to anything. So if you're more comfortable with paper, use that. If you like software, use that. Considering that I was using a Palm Pilot when I first started with GTD, I can attest that it evolves with the tool that works best for your situation.

Belfong mentioned Things, which is a great app for the Mac and iOS. OmniFocus is great too if you need something more complicated. TaskPaper if you want something more basic.

I'd suggest waiting on choosing an app though until you're comfortable with the ideas in the book and begin implementing the concepts in whatever you're using now.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 11:34:33 »
if I read this book, will it make me want to clean my apartment?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 11:52:01 »
if I read this book, will it make me want to clean my apartment?

Ha! Not exactly. It'll help you empty your mind of all the things you think you should do and then help you to make decisions on what you actually want to do. Surprisingly it's helped me say no to a lot of things.

Offline Altis

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:02:12 »
I'm going to look into this. I often suffer from 'analysis paralysis' where there's so many things I need/want to do, to the point where I end up not really doing any of it.

Thanks for the tip.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:03:37 »
I'm intrigued already.  Encountered any advice on how to deal with having too many interests?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:55:15 »
Has anyone read this book? I've been meaning to read it for years and I finally got to the point where I can't put off getting organized any longer.

I'm through chapter 2, and so far it feels like David Allen wrote the book just for me. The way he describes how tasks come in and overwhelm us is so spot-on, and the parts I've read so far about how to manage it all, really seem to make a lot of sense.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else here has read GTD and/or adopted the methodology.

You do realize, that Reading the book -getting things done-,  Instead of actually getting things done, is STILL presently putting off getting things done..

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 19:05:34 »
Thanks everyone for the good replies so far.

You do realize, that Reading the book -getting things done-,  Instead of actually getting things done, is STILL presently putting off getting things done..
Show Image

This was actually my initial resistance to the whole thing. But as has been mentioned, over the past fifteen years or so, it's really proven itself, and studies have even been done to validate a lot of the principles regarding the ways we think.

I've been a big fan of GTD for a long time now and re-read it now and again. It's a great book and has really stood the test of time.

What I like best about it is that it's not based on a specific tool and the concepts can be applied to anything. So if you're more comfortable with paper, use that. If you like software, use that. Considering that I was using a Palm Pilot when I first started with GTD, I can attest that it evolves with the tool that works best for your situation.

Belfong mentioned Things, which is a great app for the Mac and iOS. OmniFocus is great too if you need something more complicated. TaskPaper if you want something more basic.

I'd suggest waiting on choosing an app though until you're comfortable with the ideas in the book and begin implementing the concepts in whatever you're using now.

Yeah I've been using OneNote for task management so I just created a GTD tab with pages for Projects, Waiting, and Next Actions. Then I spent an hour this morning moving all of my existing items onto those pages. I kept some other tabs I already use, such as Meeting Notes and Quick Notes, but I'm just going to treat those as in-trays and empty them regularly.

What amazes me is that just two chapters in, it's already changing the way I think about organization. I'm looking at some of our in-place systems and seeing ways we can improve them to be more action-oriented.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 19:07:29 »
As any advice is only as good as your ability to put it to work.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 19:18:41 »
That's the beautiful part about GTD. It requires no new skills. I was skeptical for years and thought it was just a fad. But I've been really impressed with how easily I've started picking up the mindset.

My boards:
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 20:20:27 »
That's the beautiful part about GTD. It requires no new skills. I was skeptical for years and thought it was just a fad. But I've been really impressed with how easily I've started picking up the mindset.

The advice is awesome; the mindset easy to grasp, then the hard part comes: to get the discipline to follow it.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 20:26:41 »

I'm going to look into this. I often suffer from 'analysis paralysis' where there's so many things I need/want to do, to the point where I end up not really doing any of it.

Thanks for the tip.
The point of GTD is that you just brain dump all the things you want to do into a box, one task/idea at a time (in Things app’s case, it’s an Inbox). Then, every morning you look this box of chores and drag and drop them into Today, which are things you need to get done today. You can also drop them to Next or Someday. As you disciplined yourself in prioritizing your task, you wil find that all these tasks are not so daunting and you don’t need to overly analyze them. That’s frees up your mind to really concentrate on the task that need to get done today.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 20:30:31 »

Thanks for the tip.
The point of GTD is that you just brain dump all the things you want to do into a box, one task/idea at a time (in Things app’s case, it’s an Inbox). Then, every morning you look this box of chores and drag and drop them into Today, which are things you need to get done today. You can also drop them to Next or Someday. As you disciplined yourself in prioritizing your task, you wil find that all these tasks are not so daunting and you don’t need to overly analyze them. That’s frees up your mind to really concentrate on the task that need to get done today.
Well put. And then over time you build confidence in your system and your subconscious mind learns to trust it as well, freeing you to from that wandering mind.

My boards:
More

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 05:00:51 »
I think I need to read this book

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 07:24:13 »

Thanks for the tip.

Do you have a link for the app? Is there an Android's one?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 07:28:19 »
I need this book, or something. ****ty use of my time is ruining my life, no hyperbole.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 07:57:05 »
I just did a massive *brain* dump (get yo mind out the gutter) coz I'd kinda fallen off the GTD wagon the last week or so. So when I saw this thread and being so invigorated with GTD enthusiasm, I:
  • wrong a novel of a post
  • timed out by the time I tried to submit
  • lost everything
So basically in many, many more words I said this:
Well put. And then over time you build confidence in your system and your subconscious mind learns to trust it as well, freeing you to from that wandering mind.
and explained how incredible org-mode is for GTD (and many, many other things) & rambled about unexpected benefits like more work/less stress, clearer perspective about my life, long-term goals, the path that brought me to where I am today and where the path I'm on is headed..

But yea GTD is totez rad and has a low barrier to entrance. So, leave GK google GTD, read stuff for an hour, start using GTD. No special software required.

Eventually you'll want to use better tooling, really there's only one option: emacs org-mode. vi users are switching to emacs for org-mode. A dev of a popular agenda/organization thingy for VIM abandoned his project for org-mode. If you use emacs you already have org-mode, if you use vi you can use evil mode for vi emulation so you don't have to reprogram your brainstem, if you use any another editor you *need* to switch to emacs or vi... really.. like asap    :-X

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:06:32 »

Thanks for the tip.

Do you have a link for the app? Is there an Android's one?

Things is Mac and iOS only. Same thing with OmniFocus. Not sure what apps are out there for Windows, but any list making tool could be used, so just go with what's easiest.

Offline iri

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:11:07 »

Thanks for the tip.
You need to read a book to do that?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:17:56 »
I bought this book about 8 months ago, not sure what I did with it though.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:24:10 »
Honestly, you don’t need to read that book. Just looking at Things app Getting Started guide will give you a general ideas. For more complex project management though, you might need the book.

http://culturedcode.com/things/guide/

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 09:49:18 »
You need to read a book to do that?

The author David Allen is very self depreciating that his book is nothing more than common sense. That being said, it's a process that many of us wouldn't come to naturally. Additionally, it's about dealing with the increasing commitments that happen due to our successes.

Is the book for everyone? Certainly not, but if you find your self overwhelmed with too much to do and not enough time to do it and your current process isn't working, then it's worth a read.

Lastly, the GTD method is really just the first step. Most nerds, myself included, fixate on the tools and the process and less on the results. It's like getting into karate to learn how to kick ass, then after you get your black belt you learn that you never have to get into a fight.

Offline iri

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 06:42:32 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury