Author Topic: Firewall on fire... or how GH disappeared for a few hours  (Read 3763 times)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Firewall on fire... or how GH disappeared for a few hours
« on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:42:54 »
Hey folks, welcome back.

Since we know you all love to know what's going on we're going to share.  The drive sitting in the firewall that all GH traffic goes through decided Friday afternoon was a good time to croak.  Fortunately ashort is a man of action and he promptly procured a replacement drive and patched things together with bubblegum and toothpicks. 

As you know we are raising funds to support GH in times of need such as this and also for GH's future.  We've laid the ground work for better redundancy on the back end and were just reminded that some front end redundancy is in order as well.  That's right, double the firewalls so when it all goes poof we can shake our heads in amazement and tell you that we really did try our best ;)

The GeekHack packs will continue until there's nothing left.  As mkawa has mentioned there are possibly some very attractive premium items coming up.  I recall seeing a very cool silver key cap that you can all dream about.  If you just feel like being generous (and awesome) the donate link which is also found in the forum index is (almost) always open for business.

Thank you all, because without you I'm just talking to myself (again).
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
Re: Firewall on fire... or how GH disappeared for a few hours
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:50:19 »
It's ok to talk to yourself, I do it all the time!
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:51:42 »
Perfectly normal :) Thanks for letting us know, glad that everything's okay though.
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Firewall on fire... or how GH disappeared for a few hours
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:55:41 »
Thanks for the update. I was beginning to worry.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:59:11 »
hmmm with all the epic auctions and gh donations lately surely you can afford to buy the international space station now? lol

good luck guys! i know how much a PITA dodgy hardware can be hope you guys get some upgrades soon.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 21:14:25 »
Thanks to ashort for taking time away from this family to beat an SSD with a hammer until it started spinning again.  Wait...is it supposed to do that?  Luckily, toothpicks do seem to transmit SATA signals fairly well.
Russ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 21:32:13 »
I LoL'd!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 21:51:46 »
oh don't mind me, i'm just sitting here beating on this drum labeled "we need money"

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 13:56:13 »
oh don't mind me, i'm just sitting here beating on this drum labeled "we need money"

Heard your drum beating and made a small donation. Cough it up, people. You can forgo the Starbucks for a couple days.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 14:10:29 »
Thanks for letting us know.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.