Author Topic: [GB] Polaris - GB Complete  (Read 242041 times)

Offline rockydbull

Re: [GB] Polaris
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 13:10:02 »
Hence why black will probably be the most popular colour, people have been burnt too many times with mismatching colours...

Or that its a basic color that matches tons of keycap sets (way better than grey imo)... No way a large portion of buyers are as caught up in the shades of the colors like yall are.

LOL I can see you're not a Discord user. I've spent the last week in discord watching people ask about colors. If you think this isn't the biggest point of contention for most people, I'd have to disagree.

And that's my biggest point: for something that doesn't actually have anything to do with the performance or value offered here, why is it such a pain in the ass? why is something "so simple and not important" so hard to nail down? if it's "not a big deal" then the board should not have been offered in multiple colors OR the GB should not have gone live until they were finalized. I agree, color isn't important. But you don't offer a bunch of color options and let people just figure it out when they get the product.

(Attachment Link)

LOL if you think that Discord users make up the majority of buyers. I agree anode samples should be up, but I don't agree that the lack of samples is dictating color choice for a majority of users OR that black will be the highest sold because people are spooked about what the colors will turn out like (instead of just being a very popular case color in general).

Offline nguyenhimself

[GB] Polaris
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 13:53:59 »
Who do we have to poke to get a better indication what "forest green" will look like?

Probably close to this:
Show Image

Literal samples here & yet everyone’s still arguing.
Unwatching this thread. You guys suck at making decisions & are too noisy about it.

Offline LubedNReady

• keep it kinky with Krytox
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 14:40:10 »
Who do we have to poke to get a better indication what "forest green" will look like?

Probably close to this:
Show Image

Unwatching this thread. You guys suck at making decisions & are too noisy about it.

But that's the problem - there isn't enough clear information. And where is there a sample/picture of the forest green? This is my current understanding of the color situation:

The renders were done early  (obviously).
The color swatch was provided for color matching the final product.
The ano samples look like the swatches but NOT like the renders (lighting/monitor/white balance aside).
The colors will be matched to the swatches and NOT the renders (you can see this by comparing the samples to the swatches). The samples (and swatch) are what the final product will look like.

The red in the swatch is not burgundy. And the green is not forest green.

This is the reality I have chosen to accept.

i fap with 205g0

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 14:56:38 »

Probably close to this:
Show Image

But that's the problem - there isn't enough clear information. And where is there a sample/picture of the forest green? This is my current understanding of the color situation:

The ano samples look like the swatches but NOT like the renders (lighting/monitor/white balance aside).
The colors will be matched to the swatches and NOT the renders (you can see this by comparing the samples to the swatches). The samples (and swatch) are what the final product will look like.

So... what you are mad about is that renders, ano samples, and swatches are different from each other, and are randomly scattered and spread out all over kbdfans site, discord, and comments in the GB and IC?

Offline alanskiii

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 00:58:42 »
Hi guys, this is my first custom and I got a noob question. Does the polaris take plate mount, screw in, or both for stabs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline donkey

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 01:11:52 »

This is a common problem in online retail, not just among MK vendors, because it takes resource and expertise to show true colors to customers.

Based on experience, no amount of jumping up and down will deliver satisfactory result, meaning the best we can do is make do with what we're given. With Tofu, I placed my 'bet' on Dark Green and got lucky. With Polaris, I went with Black because it's the safest bet.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 01:39:43 »
Hi guys, this is my first custom and I got a noob question. Does the polaris take plate mount, screw in, or both for stabs?

Looks like it uses PCB mount stabilizers so go with screw-in or snap-in stabs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2019, 01:41:26 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline alanskiii

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 02:21:49 »

Looks like it uses PCB mount stabilizers so go with screw-in or snap-in stabs.

Cool thank you!

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 06:45:38 »
Regarding color samples, I could produce a one-off in every color option if I had a few thousand dollars sitting around. Unfortunately, that is not the case, especially considering the paper thin profit margins to achieve the price tag.

The color table in the KBDfans product page reflects the Pantone swatches that will be used for color matching. Obviously, there will be variations due to monitor color calibration, lighting, physical material differences, ano batch variations, and such. If you need an exact color match, I highly, highly discourage you from buying this product. Just don't; you'll be disappointed and it will be a waste of your money.

We will try to order further ano samples, but the reality is that it is extremely straining on factory relations after doing 7 rounds of prototyping. Doing one-offs is extremely unprofitable for the factory, and each attempt makes the workers unhappy.

Kevinplus is currently learning how to use more advanced rendering software to produce more realistic renders. Renders made through this may be a better representation of the color options than the 2D color chart; however, learning is not something done in a single day, so it will take some time before they appear.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2019, 06:50:55 by ai03 »

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 06:52:41 »
Regarding color samples, I could produce a one-off in every color option if I had a few thousand dollars sitting around. Unfortunately, that is not the case, especially considering the paper thin profit margins to achieve the price tag.

The color table in the KBDfans product page reflects the Pantone swatches that will be used for color matching. Obviously, there will be variations due to monitor color calibration, lighting, physical material differences, ano batch variations, and such. If you need an exact color match, I highly, highly discourage you from buying this product. Just don't; you'll be disappointed and it will be a waste of your money.

We will try to order further ano samples, but the reality is that it is extremely straining on factory relations after doing 7 rounds of prototyping. Doing one-offs is extremely unprofitable for the factory, and each attempt makes the workers unhappy.

Kevinplus is currently learning how to use more advanced rendering software to produce more realistic renders. Renders made through this may be a better representation of the color options than the 2D color chart; however, learning is not something done in a single day, so it will take some time before they appear.

bravo.  :thumb:

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 07:54:40 »
7 rounds of proto! Much respect dude.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 18:22:01 »

you want screw in
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jooobe

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 20:58:10 »
Nice @ai03

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline alanskiii

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 21:54:55 »

you want screw in

Yup, definitely

Offline syberghost

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 21:36:01 »
Jumped in for Forest Green and brass all the things. I have a theme build in mind that parts are already coming for.
yes, I'm the guy who put box jades on a Polaris

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 03:07:15 »
Any samples of the green ?

Offline foo4542

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 04:00:18 »
Looks like black or white is the safest bet for now.

Offline BIGTUNAA

• Matt
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 10:09:13 »
I'm in (sorta) just have a few questions before I join next week, as this will be my first build and all.

So I'm thinking E-White?? MAN DO I WANT ROSE GOLD THOUGH.....Maybe the blue gray since it looks more gunmetal-ish in the renders? Keycap sets that flow well with E-White/Blue Gray?

WKL or Standard?? I game heavily(FPS mostly) so not sure if WKL spacing/missing key will mess me up or something but I love the WKL aesthetic.

Full Brass plate and extra Poly full...just in case I don't like the Brass for some reason.

Also not set on a switch just yet (recommend something)... but I'm a big Synthwave/Outrun/Miami/Cyberpunk fan and I did join the Laser ALT drop with box whites so I have that coming later this year.

Currently using a white Miya68 w/ Cherry Silvers & Tai-Hao Miami. First board off a "gamer keyboard" and just started falling down this rabbit hole a few months ago....sorry this was kind of long but WISH my wallet and I luck!

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 04:05:46 »
I'm in (sorta) just have a few questions before I join next week, as this will be my first build and all.

So I'm thinking E-White?? MAN DO I WANT ROSE GOLD THOUGH.....Maybe the blue gray since it looks more gunmetal-ish in the renders? Keycap sets that flow well with E-White/Blue Gray?

WKL or Standard?? I game heavily(FPS mostly) so not sure if WKL spacing/missing key will mess me up or something but I love the WKL aesthetic.

Full Brass plate and extra Poly full...just in case I don't like the Brass for some reason.

Also not set on a switch just yet (recommend something)... but I'm a big Synthwave/Outrun/Miami/Cyberpunk fan and I did join the Laser ALT drop with box whites so I have that coming later this year.

Currently using a white Miya68 w/ Cherry Silvers & Tai-Hao Miami. First board off a "gamer keyboard" and just started falling down this rabbit hole a few months ago....sorry this was kind of long but WISH my wallet and I luck!

I loved the WKL aesthetic as well until I bought a WKL board. In practice it was just annoying. That said, I have grown very happy with the HHKB feel and aesthetic so it's not just a case of sticking to what you know but I would still be hesitant to recommend spending any serious money on a WKL board until you've spent some time trying it out first.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 04:10:16 »
I loved the WKL aesthetic as well until I bought a WKL board. In practice it was just annoying. That said, I have grown very happy with the HHKB feel and aesthetic so it's not just a case of sticking to what you know but I would still be hesitant to recommend spending any serious money on a WKL board until you've spent some time trying it out first.

I concur. Since I've started mapping CapsLock to Ctrl, I'd like a less crowded bottom row on my next keyboard. The gap in WKL doesn't make sense to me, so I ordered the Polaris in HHKB layout yesterday.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 05:27:51 »
Given all the bull****  going on with their last custom board groupbuy (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98959) I'm having a hard time trusting kbdfans enough to buy in on this one too. Delays happen but the lack of open and honest communication about it all is pretty worrying.Which sucks, because this is up there with the Leaf60 as the most appealing (to me) group buy in a long time.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 07:27:34 by nathanchere »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:19:55 »
Given all the bull****  going on with their last custom board groupbuy (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98959) I'm having a hard time trusting kbdfans enough to buy in on this one too. Delays happen but the lack of open and honest communication about it all is pretty worrying.Which sucks, because this is up there with the Leaf60 as the most appealing (to me) group buy in a long time.
Wasn't most of that drama about attempting to limit the release, but kbdfans not enforcing a limit at the start, and then all of the **** that happened after? If that's the case, I don't think you have much to worry about this gb. The only drama that's been happening here are the swatches, renders, and samples not matching each other in color.

Offline BIGTUNAA

• Matt
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 12:10:17 »
Thanks for the replies!!

I'm all for the HHKB but I feel like it will mess with my main games that use ALT-look..hell Escape From Tarkov even uses the Caps Lock key but I can just change that...

ANYWAY screw it I think I'm just going to join for HHKB, E-White (maybe blue-gray/rose gold...but those renders seem off) and make this a "pretty non-gaming board" :D

When I buy/join normal GB's or caps I'd need spacebar mods also? correct?

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 12:12:28 »
A lot of sets have ave 7u spacebars included in the base set, but make sure it does. Otherwise yes, you’d need the space bar kit as well. Also remember to get 7u stabilizers.

Offline modeseven

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 04:56:08 »
What plate would you guys recommend for tactile switches (for example zealios)? Brass, Polycarbonate or FR4?
I have read vague references about flex due to the thin pcb. Does that mean I should go with Brass?

I am new to all this, sorry for any obvious or silly questions.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 05:36:31 »
What plate would you guys recommend for tactile switches (for example zealios)? Brass, Polycarbonate or FR4?
I have read vague references about flex due to the thin pcb. Does that mean I should go with Brass?

I am new to all this, sorry for any obvious or silly questions.

Mmm, every board is a bit different and there hasn't been too many boards with a "thin" PCB so it's hard to tell but I'd suggest brass and/or polycarbonate. It's hard to choose for another person as each of us have different preferences.

Here's a quick description about each material from Polaris plate sale page:
Materials:

- Brass: A stiff metal with a deep sound. Firm bottom-out that pairs well with tactiles and some linears.

- FR4: A durable yet flexible fiberglass that is often used for PCBs. Medium firmness, slightly bouncy bottom-out that works for most switches.

- Poly: A flexible plastic that is more resistant to cracking than acrylic. Very soft bottom-out that works with linears.

Offline modeseven

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 05:57:23 »
Thank you! That was extremely helpful and probably saved me from making an ill advised decision.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2019, 05:59:18 by modeseven »

Offline modeseven

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 05:50:46 »

Damn, I was so confident in choosing WKL, but you guys have me second guessing. I never actually tried WKL in person, but can you explain to me why it might be annoying/bad idea? It seems like HHKB is a bigger departure from the standard layout and WKL is just the removal of the windows key? If I don't use the windows key all that often, I should be good? Thanks in advance for any insight.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2019, 05:54:37 by modeseven »

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 05:58:39 »
If you dont use windows key then wkl will work well for you. HHKB is tougher to adapt to imo, missing bottom left control is weird to me.

Offline Nujabez0

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 06:04:06 »

Damn, I was so confident in choosing WKL, but you guys have me second guessing. I never actually tried WKL in person, but can you explain to me why it might be annoying/bad idea? It seems like HHKB is a bigger departure from the standard layout and WKL is just the removal of the windows key? If I don't use the windows key all that often, I should be good? Thanks in advance for any insight.

IMO WKL is the best looking 60% layout (my friend's QXP in WKL is very attractive). I don't see the layout losing much of anything as you do have QMK to nullify any negatives by make your own keymap. What I did for WKL layout on my TKL was make left ctrl - ctrl, left alt- alt, right alt- Windows, and right ctrl - Function. And it worked without any issues whatsoever. If you do thing that missing arrow keys is a big issue in the future, I would wait for a polaris 65% as ai03 said in his discord he will release one after the 60% polaris.

Offline modeseven

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 06:13:56 »

IMO WKL is the best looking 60% layout (my friend's QXP in WKL is very attractive). I don't see the layout losing much of anything as you do have QMK to nullify any negatives by make your own keymap. What I did for WKL layout on my TKL was make left ctrl - ctrl, left alt- alt, right alt- Windows, and right ctrl - Function. And it worked without any issues whatsoever. If you do thing that missing arrow keys is a big issue in the future, I would wait for a polaris 65% as ai03 said in his discord he will release one after the 60% polaris.

I was considering splitting the right shift key to shift/fn, but I like your idea better. Much more functional and symmetrical (aesthetically pleasing). Thank you and everyone for the feedback.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2019, 06:15:40 by modeseven »

Offline ilezia

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 06:15:43 »
Am I correct that with the HHKB case and universal plate I could have a bottom row of 1.25U + 6.25U + 1.25U + 1.25U? Whereas a standard (WKL/Tsangan) would be 1.5U + 7U + 1.5U?

I know the asymmetry might give some people anxiety so asking for a friend.

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 07:42:37 »

Gib Polaris 65

Offline 8six753o9

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 08:58:20 »
Am I correct that with the HHKB case and universal plate I could have a bottom row of 1.25U + 6.25U + 1.25U + 1.25U? Whereas a standard (WKL/Tsangan) would be 1.5U + 7U + 1.5U?

HHKB = 1u + 1.5u + 7u + 1.5u +1u

So no.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:32:06 »

So no.
Semi on topic... do I go universal or wkl/t plate for an HHKB case?

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 09:36:27 »

So no.
Semi on topic... do I go universal or wkl/t plate for an HHKB case?

If you need a layout that universal supports obviously get universal. If going standard hhkb less cutouts means straighter switches so that is a pro (but could also just use 5 pin switches). In theory less cutouts should be a firmer heavier plate which would lend itself to the brass plate option. I would probably also lean to less cutouts for pom for less thin weak points that could crack. FR-4 it probably doesnt matter.

Offline Brez1623

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 11:34:14 »
I can't wait for mine to arrive! This will be my first custom board.

Offline bball2

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 17:02:11 »
Jumped in on the group buy!

Got a burgundy red wkl / clear matte pvd brass plate + secondary pcb / fr-4 full plate. Thinking of zealios v2 on the fr-4 plate and cream switches on the brass plate.

Offline jooobe

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 21:00:49 »
Black full matte black brass plate here

Offline GrannyRimJobs

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 14:17:46 »
I'm usually a brass plate man and I don't think my fingers are sensitive enough to really feel the different between a hard or soft bottom out (zilents and holy pandas feel pretty similar to me). But I feel like I would be defeating the point of this case by getting a hard plate, especially with the flex pcb. I'm mainly after sound (something similar to Nathan Kim's keycult no 1 with tealios), so for those who have more experience with poly/fr4 and half plates, which plate set up do you think best replicates that pebble sound?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 14:28:59 »
I'm usually a brass plate man and I don't think my fingers are sensitive enough to really feel the different between a hard or soft bottom out (zilents and holy pandas feel pretty similar to me). But I feel like I would be defeating the point of this case by getting a hard plate, especially with the flex pcb. I'm mainly after sound (something similar to Nathan Kim's keycult no 1 with tealios), so for those who have more experience with poly/fr4 and half plates, which plate set up do you think best replicates that pebble sound?

Difference between poly and FR4 half-plates in a small sandwich-mounted board like this is really splitting hairs, tbh. IMO caps and switch housings will make a bigger difference at that point. FWIW the board I'm typing on right now has Cherry switches with a POM half-plate and GMK, and it sounds very close to

Poly might be a tiny bit softer, and I feel in the boards I've tried it in it's been a little "clickier" than something denser. So maybe FR4. After that just do a good job of lubing your switches and stabilizers and it will sound excellent regardless.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 14:40:41 »
Finally put in my order today! Went with the e-white/black combo and dual sets of brass and poly plates, so I can build a tactile and linear set and swap them if I feel like it  :cool:

Now the hard part begins: the waiting

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 19:48:52 »
Finally put in my order today! Went with the e-white/black combo and dual sets of brass and poly plates, so I can build a tactile and linear set and swap them if I feel like it  :cool:

Did you purchase two PCB's as well? 

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 00:09:48 »

Yes, of course. Don’t worry. An extra set of foam pads too :)

Offline jeniverre

• instagram.com/keebgeek
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 13:43:44 »
my safest bet goes to eWhite. oh can't wait for mine next year.

Offline jooobe

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 14:13:13 »

Yes, of course. Don’t worry. An extra set of foam pads too :)
Damn should I do that too

Offline bball2

« Reply #196 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 17:16:31 »

I would assume you would just reuse the foam pads, unless you want a second set for a backup>

Offline jooobe

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 17:51:37 »

I would assume you would just reuse the foam pads, unless you want a second set for a backup>
I think one of the foam goes between plate and pcb so can't reuse

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 13:03:30 »
Ok I am trying to wrap my head around this, but the point of a half plate is to essentially have a pcb mount feel while still being gasket mounted (needs some plate to mount this way). My question is the difference between the materials and the half plate. Will they all feel similar since its a half plate or will the brass still feel mostly hard while the poly will be holding on for dear life?

Also on the half plates is the foam still used between the switches?

Offline MK47

• Don't talk to me
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 07:03:16 »
I am considering a HHKB polycarbonate but the warning worries me. Does anyone have experience with polycarbonate cases? How easily does it get damaged in shipping? If it does get damaged in shipping, is there a way to bend it back to shape, would heating it up with a hairdryer work?