Author Topic: [IC] En Dash – Old Meets New  (Read 63016 times)

Offline vicissitude

Re: [IC] En-Dash – Modernising Kustoms
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 06:31:30 »
interested.

Offline vidoardes

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 07:25:27 »
Getting back to the interest check, is there any info on colours or layouts that will be available?

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 07:43:22 »
Getting back to the interest check, is there any info on colours or layouts that will be available?

From the op: WKL only, GB version will have a plate that supports stepped caps, split r-shift and split backspace.
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 08:34:27 »

As mentioned in the main post I'm currently waiting on some quotes from a few more manufacturers. I can't give dates quite yet but will certainly update here when its decided. It's safe to assume there'll be silver and another colour.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 11:04:29 »
I recognize that there is a holy-morality-war and maybe some gatekeeping going on in this thread.... BUT I do agree with the sentiment that, should this board his a lower price point (lower to mid 300s), this board will give many in the community the opportunity to simply consider buying their grail board (or at least a high quality clone).

Keep it simple. Keep it honest. It's a clone, but I think that's actually a good thing. Demand is high, so why not supply?

Nice work OP, I'll be waiting for more info once you hear back from manufacturing.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Chemos

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 11:37:33 »
Very interested, would love to see a burgundy or a light blue

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 11:40:47 »
I recognize that there is a holy-morality-war and maybe some gatekeeping going on in this thread.... BUT I do agree with the sentiment that, should this board his a lower price point (lower to mid 300s), this board will give many in the community the opportunity to simply consider buying their grail board (or at least a high quality clone).

Keep it simple. Keep it honest. It's a clone, but I think that's actually a good thing. Demand is high, so why not supply?

Nice work OP, I'll be waiting for more info once you hear back from manufacturing.
Amen to this. I find it hilarious that a lot of people with their moral high ground about copying designs also get upset with reselling high end limited boards ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline LubedNReady

• keep it kinky with Krytox
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 11:58:42 »
but....but...now jane/OTD resell prices are going to go down? how is a guy supposed to make a buck flipping limited customs when everyone has one?

seriously tho - i'm interested. hope you're able to find a good factory because im already saving up for shipping costs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2019, 12:02:54 by LubedNReady »
i fap with 205g0

Offline badboy731

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 12:18:41 »
>modernizing kustoms

>just a jane clone

your marketing is cheesy but the board seems nice

Are you ever satisfied with anything?

he ain't wrong, these kustoms all look the same
Is that a bad thing when they all look clean af? I'm down for an OTD clone that is actually obtainable lol
If you‘re OK with supporting a lazy GB by someone who doesn’t want to create his own designs and would rather copying someone else’s homework, sure.
I know OP claimed to change the internals. I’m saying that’s not enough “changes”.
It’s a clone. Except it’s not sold on Taobao, so it’s A-OK /s
Until that someone else's work gets readily and easily accessible to me (or I guess anyone), then yeah, I'm cool supporting someone else 'copying homework'. If the OG designer really wants to stick it me, this designer copying, or anyone else, they should release the product in an equally or more accessible way.

Thank you for this. Nailed it.
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline spyruf

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 12:31:45 »

As mentioned in the main post I'm currently waiting on some quotes from a few more manufacturers. I can't give dates quite yet but will certainly update here when its decided. It's safe to assume there'll be silver and another colour.

Silver is something I'd be interested in.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 14:33:56 »
but....but...now jane/OTD resell prices are going to go down? how is a guy supposed to make a buck flipping limited customs when everyone has one?

seriously tho - i'm interested. hope you're able to find a good factory because im already saving up for shipping costs.

they won't go down
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 17:24:46 »

they won't go down

Puddsy is right. Jane's et al. will always be coveted and always be considered top of the line.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 17:29:52 »

Amen to this. I find it hilarious that a lot of people with their moral high ground about copying designs also get upset with reselling high end limited boards ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As long as we call em' like we see em', and are honest about what we, as a community, consider "iteration" and "innovation".

If anything, these similar TKLs will put pressure on designers to chase after the new, next-big-thing or high clout item.

That said, I do recognize the harm in blatant rip-offs. Thankfully, this board (in my opinion) isn't one.

OP, I'm all done feeding into this conversation; had to get my 2c out there -- on with the IC!

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 18:01:49 »
Hello my friends. This thread has taken a bit of a different direction to what i had hoped. Thank you to those of you that have discussed the topic of whether or not this is clone with cooler heads, whether you are agree or not.

I would like to take a moment to lay out the differences because i think this project is being looked at in the wrong way. I also don't want to become "the clone guy". Perhaps it's my fault for explaining the origins of the project and made the connection too easy to make for those that can only put one thing in the context of another. Im not saying this design is pushing the boundaries of keyboard design: its a two piece, top mount TKL after all.

Mounting
Its a top mount TKL right? I urge you to take a look at any top mounted board you own. This is one of the more "set in stone" things in design in my opinion especially in a top mount. The way my design differs from the 360C is:
  • extra mounting point to be a bit more consistent across the whole board
  • Different screw placement that prioritises support around alphas and corners

What has this achieved? The prototype feels very good to type on. Flex is consistent and enjoyable. Is it different enough from the 360C? No less than any other top mount TKL in my opinion.

Plate Design
Do keep in ming this is the prototype plate, you'll just have to imagine the layout support. How is this different from the 360C?
  • I'll start with an obvious one: its a different layout. F13 means modified flex cutouts around that top portion
  • The flex cutouts look the same. Yes because they're flex cut outs at every opportunity

Side profile
How many times has this side profile been iterated on?

Does that make every two piece board with a flat back and a straight cut out a clone of the first one? Here is a comparison of 360C to En Dash. I would say the 360C is significantly more angular while the curve of the En Dash is more soft and sweeping.

Weight
Yep, it's a rectangle. Heres how my brick of brass is different:
  • the inside is significantly bigger - Why? more surface area of brass inside to improve acoustics as well as provide a little more heft
  • Mounts from the inside for a hidden assembly

I hope this is enough for you sticklers out there. I only ask that rather than getting stuck on the similarities, you look at the differences. A thin bezelled two piece design will look a certain way especially if it's a revival of an old design. If you think it is still too close you are welcome to not support the project.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 19:30:43 »
not to **** on your parade but the side looks exactly the same to me

it's not a clone, it just feels like an uninspired design that isn't super unique

like, the plate mounting is basically the same as a corsa, but with an extra mounting point on each side

that doesn't make it bad, just easy to say "hey, this is basically a clone"
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2019, 19:39:55 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 20:42:12 »
Looks cool!

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 21:38:23 »
not to **** on your parade but the side looks exactly the same to me

lol
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2020, 20:29:26 by illusixn »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] En-Dash – Old Meets New
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 22:13:15 »
OP -- I'm happy to see that you're both hearing people's concerns but defending your choices. I'm in, so long as the price is right.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 22:23:50 »
I'm in also, if the price is reasonable.

Don't know what Puddsy is rambling on about...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 23:24:07 »

basically nothing, i'm mostly just annoyed that OP made a long post that doesn't answer any questions that i've seen kicking around various discords and slacks

but there's more effort in this IC than i've seen in a lot of other ones lately, i just don't think the board is particularly interesting

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 23:41:58 »

basically nothing, i'm mostly just annoyed that OP made a long post that doesn't answer any questions that i've seen kicking around various discords and slacks

but there's more effort in this IC than i've seen in a lot of other ones lately, i just don't think the board is particularly interesting

I can't respond to any questions I haven't seen my friend. What is it that people are asking in these discords and slacks?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 23:45:16 »

I can't respond to any questions I haven't seen my friend. What is it that people are asking in these discords and slacks?

fair point

mostly just a lot of riffing that OTDs aren't that great

i'll see if any of them are actually worth addressing and make another post if they are

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 23:48:45 »

fair point

mostly just a lot of riffing that OTDs aren't that great

i'll see if any of them are actually worth addressing and make another post if they are

Well hopefully my version will be enough to take a not-so-great board to something people enjoy even more. More than happy to address anything that comes up.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 00:33:08 »
aight so i asked around to see if anyone had anything of value to add, the consensus seems to be "it's a corsa with an f13"

so, good, but not the most inspired design we've seen in a while

but classic tkls will always be run so there's no need for me to really keep going on about it

if anyone wants to call it lazy, why haven't you done it yourself?

glwic/gb
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2019, 15:04:49 by Puddsy »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 15:05:48 »
aight so i asked around to see if anyone had anything of value to add, the consensus seems to be "it's a corsa with an f13"

so, good, but not the most inspired design we've seen in a while

but classic tkls will always be run so there's no need for me to really keep going on about it

if anyone wants to call it lazy, why haven't you done it yourself?

glwic/gb

and if anyone wants to discuss why i think OTDs aren't the design to follow, y'all know how to get in touch with me

i don't feel like ****ting up this thread anymore

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 15:37:18 »
nice

Offline adxlk

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 16:00:13 »
Do a mashup, why stick to 360c

LZ SE sides
LZ RE grill
DK Saver f13
Corsa internals/dimensions

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:29:51 »
Do a mashup, why stick to 360c

LZ SE sides
LZ RE grill
DK Saver f13
Corsa internals/dimensions

Perhaps that’s one for you to do ;)

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:49:59 »
Puds *****s everywhere* >says 'I don't want to **** anymore'[thread]

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 20:44:32 »
Other boards have been dismissed by the community for being much less of a blatant copy.

Good luck with your clone.

>modernizing kustoms

>just a jane clone

Is that a bad thing when they all look clean af? I'm down for an OTD clone that is actually obtainable lol
If you‘re OK with supporting a lazy GB by someone who doesn’t want to create his own designs and would rather copying someone else’s homework, sure.
I know OP claimed to change the internals. I’m saying that’s not enough “changes”.
Until that someone else's work gets readily and easily accessible to me (or I guess anyone), then yeah, I'm cool supporting someone else 'copying homework'. If the OG designer really wants to stick it me, this designer copying, or anyone else, they should release the product in an equally or more accessible way.

"If its a highly desired item and I cant get one, its ok to copy it."

You're entitled to your opinion, but you do realize how trashy it is though right?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 21:21:26 »
for the record i have the corsa file but was politely asked not to run it (and frankly don't care enough to run it in the first place)

so this is the closest thing you'll get to a corsa

consider it puddsy approved

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 02:04:00 »
for the record i have the corsa file but was politely asked not to run it (and frankly don't care enough to run it in the first place)

so this is the closest thing you'll get to a corsa

consider it puddsy approved

:thumb:

Offline Lunarpie

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 11:17:44 »
Interested! (If I can afford it)

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 13:02:46 »
Other boards have been dismissed by the community for being much less of a blatant copy.

>modernizing kustoms

>just a jane clone

You're entitled to your opinion, but you do realize how trashy it is though right?
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 13:11:47 »

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 14:23:22 »
I can certainly get on board with this.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 15:34:41 »
So long as by Old Meets New that the OP can hopefully find a supplier that can attain the quality control to value this board a worthy competitor.  To be continued, lets give OP the benefit of proving (to himself and those of us interested in this IC) that a manu comes in with the quality on point. 

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 15:46:24 »

>modernizing kustoms

>just a jane clone

And this board will be dismissed and not bought or supported by the community then... Or enough people will want a clone because they can't get the OG. Capitalism has a way for working this stuff out. OP isn't cloning tofu's lol

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 15:56:09 »
I say we take this discussion on the morality of clones/similar boards to another thread.

OP is trying to run an actual IC for his board that he clearly put thought and effort into. Let's not clog up the works here with our opinions on what's right, wrong, or otherwise morally ambiuous.

Offline julianquack

Re: [IC] En Dash – Old Meets New
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 22:04:30 »
I'm definitely interested in this and would die to own one. I think its definitely fine to draw inspiration on a product that is so successful. In this case, the design of the OTD 360C is already so perfect, so the fact that you could implement new changes to the board is something that people are understating. I love it, good luck with the group buy!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 23:22:53 »
the design of the OTD 360C is already so perfect

found the person who has never used or owned a corsa

Offline itunesacc

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 23:39:56 »
I’ll definitely joining if you have E-white color

Offline 2QT2BSTR8

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 00:12:55 »
I’ll definitely joining if you have E-white color
+1, but I'm pretty sure would said it would be very unlikely.

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 00:29:43 »
There are some differences, there are some similarities. You can take them into account and individually decide whether this infringes on your personal moral compass concerning keyboard innovation. To me, it looks nice and it's great to see new creatives offering a well-done kit that isn't easily accessible.

GLWB Would, congrats on what looks like a great first production. I'm also a designer that wants to eventually take a stab at producing a kustom-level custom, so I hope this works out for you!

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 01:52:43 »
Make it WK + ISO and I'm in !
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 04:32:20 »

Offline Solotov

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 08:45:54 »
Please say you're gonna offer poly as well  :p
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 13:19:52 »

Offline iEatPuppers

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 04:51:40 »
Interested. Maybe you could do a poll for the other colour option.

Offline bciamny

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 23:27:41 »
really like the design here. i hope to see it move forward :)