Author Topic: Gateron Switches Comparison and Recommendations  (Read 3092 times)

Offline candy800419

Gateron Switches Comparison and Recommendations
« on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:01:24 »
I'm looking to build a new keyboard and am looking for some suggestions.

Currently, I am using lubed gateron red switches. When I type I notice that when typing "space" it either don't get registered or it gets registered twice. I'm not sure if it's because of the switch or if it's something else. Just for reference, I am using SA profile keycaps and plate-mounted stabilizers. The keyboard is for general use, so typing at work (I'm a software developer) and gaming.

For my next keyboard, because of the many "double taps", I am considering black switches. Now, I've personally never tried black swtiches or have access to them, and because ordering them takes weeks or months to ship, I'd like to get some idea on general experience for people who used these switches.

So here are some of my questions:
1. How are lubed black switches compare to lubed red switches? Is it really significant and can cause fatigue if not used to?
2. What about lubed black switches vs UNLUBED red switches? I have some spare lubed and unlubed RED switches I can try but no blacks on hand.
3. Is it possible that lubing red switches caused it to be too light that I double tap? Would unlubed red be better than lubed black?

Thanks for the help :)

Offline Maledicted

Re: Gateron Switches Comparison and Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 00:44:57 »
CHERRY MX key chattering

That may help. My trusty old K70 can develop chatter if I go way too long without cleaning it. I have only cleaned it maybe twice since I got it in 2014. lol

I have never had to even do anything in that guide. I believe the most I did was pull all of the caps bang off everything that was loose, and maybe spray everything that was a little stubborn with canned air, only externally, and that worked for me. That's been with MX reds, but Gaterons are pretty much the same thing.

I don't do the whole lube thing myself. Not yet, anyway. Maybe eventually? I doubt it though. The difference between reds and blacks, with no lube, can be jarring. I only have Gaterons in a tester, but the yellows seem to me like a nice intermediate switch between the two. MX blacks, in a board, were always too fatiguing for me. Maybe now that I routinely type on some stiffer switches I may not mind it so much, but I still doubt that as well.

Poor application of (factory) lubricant has been a problem with Matias switches in regards to chatter, but that's an entirely different mechanism. I imagine the linear and tactile gurus would know better. Lube seeping into MX contacts = chatter, anybody?
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2020, 10:27:35 by Maledicted »

Offline envyy24

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 02:41:12 »
Use gateron yellow dude, won't regret. And yes lube all your linear switches XD

Offline Rafen

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 02:25:38 »
Switched to Gateron Yellows from Cherry Reds. In my experience they feel smoother but I feel like I don't bottom out as much using the reds.