Author Topic: Affirmative (Unicomp) Model M-122 (p/n AC40956), $30.00 OBO + shipping  (Read 6113 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Unicomp Model M 122 Key Mechanical Keyboard (eBay)

$30.00 or Make Offer + $17.90 shipping (U.S.)

114178-0

These rebranded Unicomps are really neat. It's what you'd expect to pay for an IBM/Lexmark-made 122—but unlike those, this can be can be connected directly to a PC without a converter. (Maybe someone can explain why?)
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2015, 17:18:40 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Affirmative (Unicomp) Model M-122 (p/n AC40956), $30.00 OBO + shipping
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 17:17:45 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64335.0

Those can also be found there.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 17:19:57 »
Aha, I thought ComradSniper's carpeting looked familiar! Well, I hope he appreciates the plug. This is a very good deal for a directly-connectable BS 122.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2015, 17:26:17 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 20:48:08 »
What controller would these have in them?  Would it be a drop-in replacement for the controller in an IBM M122?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 05:22:48 »
What controller would these have in them?  Would it be a drop-in replacement for the controller in an IBM M122?

Nope, as M-122 controllers can't connect to PS/2. They're designed to connect to "dumb" terminals, which were input/output devices for mainframes rather than stand-alone computers.

Someone feel free to correct me on this—but I think these later Unicomp-made, PS/2 122's started appearing because PCs eventually replaced most terminals.

In addition to everything else PCs can do, they can run terminal-emulation software and appear as just about anything to a bigger system. And when PCs became so popular and were produced in such high numbers, I imagine they were actually cheaper and more easily obtained than specialized terminals. With a multitasking OS, you could use a PC to emulate a terminal and do other stuff with the data you were accessing (and, of course, play Solitaire when the boss wasn't around).

So I'm guessing that's why 122-key, PC-compatible boards like this one became the new "terminal" boards.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 07:09:35 »

Nope, as M-122 controllers can't connect to PS/2. They're designed to connect to "dumb" terminals, which were input/output devices for mainframes rather than stand-alone computers.

Someone feel free to correct me on this—but I think these later Unicomp-made, PS/2 122's started appearing because PCs eventually replaced most terminals.

In addition to everything else PCs can do, they can run terminal-emulation software and appear as just about anything to a bigger system. And when PCs became so popular and were produced in such high numbers, I imagine they were actually cheaper and more easily obtained than specialized terminals. With a multitasking OS, you could use a PC to emulate a terminal and do other stuff with the data you were accessing (and, of course, play Solitaire when the boss wasn't around).

So I'm guessing that's why 122-key, PC-compatible boards like this one became the new "terminal" boards.
I think what rowdy is asking is, can you take the PS/2 controller out of one of these boards and put it into a terminal Model M-122?

I don't know the answer, I guess it would depend on whether the ribbon connectors are the same inside. If so,I don't see why not.

I actually have two of these Affirmative boards that I bought from CS when he first listed them here on Geekhack. I converted one of them to ANSI using some leftover Model M caps. The other one I'm in the process of chopping down into an unsaver-ish board but without the nav cluster. I doubt I'm going to be able to keep the stock controller though.

I'll have to pop open my terminal Model M and take a look at the controller to see if they're comlatible with the Unicomp.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 14:20:07 »
I think what rowdy is asking is, can you take the PS/2 controller out of one of these boards and put it into a terminal Model M-122?

Yes, this :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:32:06 »

These Unicomps don't use the same near center mounted FPC connector type controller that IBM or Lexmark M's do.  So, the short answer is, no.

EDIT : This thread has some pics - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62060.0
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:23:55 »

my recommendation would be to take the controller out of a RD 122 key and use the controller from that.

I think I have a spare around here somewhere.

Then again you could also grab an arduino pro micro fro $6 and use that instead.

You could swap the controller and membrane (and other parts of the guts), but why put so much work into one of these?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:31:04 by dorkvader »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 04:51:44 »

my recommendation would be to take the controller out of a RD 122 key and use the controller from that.

Then again you could also grab an arduino pro micro fro $6 and use that instead.

You could swap the controller and membrane (and other parts of the guts), but why put so much work into one of these?

If that was directed at me, I like Model M keyboards, and kinda like the large size of the M122 as a contrast to my TKL keyboards and HHKB.

I've acquired a Model M 122 at a very reasonable cost, but it is missing most of the keycaps, has the standard terminal DIN connector, and is the ISO-like layout.

My ultimate plan (long term, as I am short in time and money at the moment) is to convert it to ANSI, bolt mod it, install some sort of convertor in it, and get a keycap set, preferably pearl and pebble.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:35:18 »

If that was directed at me, I like Model M keyboards, and kinda like the large size of the M122 as a contrast to my TKL keyboards and HHKB.

I've acquired a Model M 122 at a very reasonable cost, but it is missing most of the keycaps, has the standard terminal DIN connector, and is the ISO-like layout.

My ultimate plan (long term, as I am short in time and money at the moment) is to convert it to ANSI, bolt mod it, install some sort of convertor in it, and get a keycap set, preferably pearl and pebble.

Colossus controller. 
Go down to the bottom of the page and select which M122 you have.
http://phosphorglow.net/store/products/universal-model-m-usb-controller/

End result:
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:37:14 by Snowdog993 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:55:33 »
Colossus controller. 

End result:
Show Image

Wow!

Yellow plate too :D

That would be perfect and is what I'm aiming at (except for the yellow plate - my skillz do not extend that far).

Gotta start saving ...

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 00:01:20 »
Colossus controller. 

End result:
Show Image

Wow!

That would be perfect and is what I'm aiming at (except for the yellow plate - my skillz do not extend that far).

Gotta start saving ...
That's not a yellow plate. It's just a mylar sheet that slips over the existing barrel plate. He offers them in tons of colors.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 00:06:20 »
Colossus controller. 

End result:
Show Image

Wow!

Gotta start saving ...
That's not a yellow plate. It's just a mylar sheet that slips over the existing barrel plate. He offers them in tons of colors.

Correct.  It is a mylar underlay.
http://phosphorglow.net/store/products/colored-underlay/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 04:39:08 »
Even nicer! :)

And more off topic in this thread ... so I have bumped my Model M refurbishment thread.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 06:08:02 »
Geez, sorry I misinterpreted Rowdy's question and wandered off into computing history... I think I was trying to do too many things at once, and hadn't reserved enough brainpower here.