geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

cyber60: 60% Bluetooth PCB running nRF52 and ZMK

<< < (2/5) > >>

Applet:

--- Quote from: nevin on Mon, 16 November 2020, 14:14:13 ---In qmk you can specify layer segments, of an led strip or underglow and get it to function as lock & layer indicators. So it might not ba a far stretch to get it to work. i'll look at it then.

--- End quote ---
The undergow is for adressable leds. This PCB uses a dumb common anode led without logic, so I can't use the underglow code. I'm planning to implement a PWM driver for it. I disslike the adressable leds for a project like this, since they have a constant current draw, even when off. This could be solved using a transistor to fully turn them off, but I prefer it this way. It's probably a bit more if a hassle to implement the code, but it should be more power efficient.

There is no lock states in ZMK yet and no support for userspace-code yet.

--- Quote from: parablol on Mon, 16 November 2020, 15:16:43 ---Cool feature set!!! Assuming all goes well, please consider an ortholinear version in the future! :D

--- End quote ---

nevin:
adddressible led draw.... good to.know. That makes total sense, and important aspect being wireless.

ice9js:
Very cool! I've got a question - how's your experience been with the reception inside an aluminum case so far?
I see it's a common pattern to put the radio module in the spacebar area and use a non-metallic plate but I don't really have the tools or the experience to verify how that affects the rf signal vs a more traditional design like a patch antenna or not having metal at all around that part on the case.

Applet:

--- Quote from: ice9js on Thu, 19 November 2020, 05:07:50 ---Very cool! I've got a question - how's your experience been with the reception inside an aluminum case so far?
I see it's a common pattern to put the radio module in the spacebar area and use a non-metallic plate but I don't really have the tools or the experience to verify how that affects the rf signal vs a more traditional design like a patch antenna or not having metal at all around that part on the case.

--- End quote ---
I've not done much testing on signal strength yet. Having the antenna under space bar is the only feasible location with this layout and module, with another layout and PCB size, I would have placed it on top. Generally I would not recommend using the Tofu case at all, since it is a big metal piece, shielding the antenna, but so far it has been working great. I start to loose connection about 3-4m from my PC, but it's working great with the ~1m distance from my desk to my PC. I had the case, so I thought it would be a good test. The acrylic/plastic Tofu or some other plastic case is of course a better option from a RF and reception perspective, but metal case and plastic plate seems to be good enough at least for my use case.

I have now patched the PCB to work like rev A2, and the battery circuit seems to work like I intended it to. Flipped one transistor, removed series resistance between enable pin and MCU and added a pull down so it defaults to off. Not pretty but it works ;D (I restored the series resistance/gate resistance, don't know what I was thinking...)

nevin:
nice when things start going your way....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version