geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Handmade wood and cork tray mounted 60% case

<< < (2/4) > >>

pixelpusher:
It's beautiful.  I have quite a selection of wooden keyboards in my collection.  One thing that I would also like to see is the inside.  I highly recommend that you remove (or make it possible to remove) the center post.  It makes for a much more pleasant typing experience. In a perfect world, you would also want to have some sort of rubber on the standoffs for dampening, as well.  See the recent wooden tofu from KBDFans here: https://kbdfans.com/collections/60-layout-case/products/tofu60-walnut-o-ring-mount-case

Also, the PCB needs to sit much lower so that the switches are not exposed when viewing from the side.  I would shoot for this as a top priority.  Many people in the hobby see exposed switches as a trend from early in the hobby and it has fallen out of favor.

So you'll need to find a way to lower the pcb and/or raise the side walls to cover.

A recent wood and resin case I purchased does a good job of hiding switches.

tom_toe:

--- Quote from: Rob27shred on Sun, 21 November 2021, 14:12:19 ---
--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sun, 21 November 2021, 13:06:04 ---What a first post, took me back to the good old days when this hobby wasn't all about renders :thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to document the process, I'm no woodworker but they sure look good to me.

Welcome to geekhack :)

--- End quote ---

I am a woodworker & can say with certainty just from these pics that they did do an extremely good job on these! Very clean joints & lines, the finishes look great, & the wooden feet is a super nice detail IMO. Awesome work OP, the only question I have is I'm assuming these are tray mount cases, how many standoffs are used & in what positioning? I'm hoping you went with just 4 & excluded the middle one & one by the spacebar as that seems to be the optimal setup for tray mount IME. Anyways again great work & you guys should make some of these to sell! I'd definitely grab one up for my few tray mount 60% builds!

--- End quote ---

Thank you so much!! It's a pleasure to get compliments from someone into the craft! Our idea would be to sell some oneday, although of course the design is not finished and in order to finish we would need some machinery and become a legitimate business (quite pricey here in Italy). As far as the standoff goes, here is a pic of what they look like right now. Thank you for your suggestions, we'll take them into consideration for the next prototypes!

We would like to try and include some form of dampening using thin cork sheet. In order to do this we would need a cnc (or a very complex router jig) to carve out a more complex design to support the pcb in different places, and a laser cutter to cut the cork. Something like these, although we're not a fan of these designs yet.

Tell us if you think this is a good idea, we're definetly not veterans at this, so we would need to experiment with prototypes to get an idea of the changes in feel. I don't know if it's better to look for a springy effect, or a solid connection in between all of the components.

We'll keep you updated on the progress on this thread, this month we'll look into what our expenses to open a business would be to get an idea, we also have some christmas gifts to make and during the christmas break we won't be here, so I don't know if there's going to be any significant progress. We want to set up a woodworking shop anyway, this would certanly be a nice product to include in the portfolio.

Thanks again! We feel welcomed c:

tom_toe:

--- Quote from: pixelpusher on Sun, 21 November 2021, 16:57:11 ---It's beautiful.  I have quite a selection of wooden keyboards in my collection.  One thing that I would also like to see is the inside.  I highly recommend that you remove (or make it possible to remove) the center post.  It makes for a much more pleasant typing experience. In a perfect world, you would also want to have some sort of rubber on the standoffs for dampening, as well.  See the recent wooden tofu from KBDFans here: https://kbdfans.com/collections/60-layout-case/products/tofu60-walnut-o-ring-mount-case

Also, the PCB needs to sit much lower so that the switches are not exposed when viewing from the side.  I would shoot for this as a top priority.  Many people in the hobby see exposed switches as a trend from early in the hobby and it has fallen out of favor.

So you'll need to find a way to lower the pcb and/or raise the side walls to cover.

A recent wood and resin case I purchased does a good job of hiding switches.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestions, we want to try thin cork sheet as a dampening material, but we need a laser cutter to do that. We'll try and make the sides taller as it's not really possible to lower the pcb and backplate into the base without removing the solidity of the piece. We also would like to have a custom backplate to have a little bit more space between the sides of the pcb and backplate for mounting stability and maybe looks.

That resin board looks stunning, really. I've never seen anything like that, where did you get it? I didn't really have any luck in finding custom wooden cases this quality online.

I've replied to Rob with pics of what the finished inside looks like now

tom_toe:

--- Quote from: ylothar on Sun, 21 November 2021, 13:13:00 ---I am already imagining GMK Tiramisu on it... :cool:

--- End quote ---

We would definitely approve as italians!

tom_toe:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sun, 21 November 2021, 13:06:04 ---What a first post, took me back to the good old days when this hobby wasn't all about renders :thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to document the process, I'm no woodworker but they sure look good to me.

Welcome to geekhack :)

--- End quote ---

Thank you! We already feel welcomed! c:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version