geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

ALPS Switches Unraveled -- Let's do this!

(1/4) > >>

ShakeR:
ALPS switches have become convoluted with so many different versions.  Two 'ALPS' switches of the exact same color may have completely different characteristics based on the origin, manufacturer, and Type / Generation.

The idea of this thread is to compile a list of all 'ALPS' style switches (types) and clarify what is what. Also, assign specific 'ALPS' switches to the corresponding keyboards.  Please add to the list as much as you can.

Type Names / AKAs:
---------------------
Type I (Fukka)
Type II (XM)
Type III (?)
Type IV (?)

Color & Type - Design - Force - Known Models
---------------------------------------------
Green Type II (XM) - Tactile & Clicky - 45g - DK1087XM, DK1008XM
Black Type II (XM) - Linear - 45g - DK1087XM, DK1008XM

Other Noteworthy ALPS Info
--------------------------------------------
DataComp's ("DC ALPS") - 4 colors - everything identical to Cherry MX black, blue, brown, and reds in terms of color and tactile / clicky.  Not 100% if force is identical to Cherry MX. Also not sure what 'type' these are considered.
Tai-Hao's ("APC ALPS") - several colors. Dark Blue is the most common @ 55g (clicky / tactile unknown)  I'm getting more info from TH on these now.

Daniel Beardsmore:
Now here's the thing – we have a wiki here, and Deskthority has a wiki. (Deskthority uses "Type I" to refer to the complicated switch, and I just found a recent Ripster post suggesting Type II = Fukka, but generally the consensus is that Type X means simplified, with Type I = Fukka, Type II = XM, Type III = (was in the old wiki) and Type IV is a mixture of Types I and II -- I have photos of the internals of one if Ripster's photos are all gone. XM greens allegedly come in two varieties, linear and clicky, though I don't know for sure that either the Ducky or TP3 switches are Type II and not Type IV, as they're identical from the outside – you have to open them up to be sure which it is, as with any ALPS switch really.

Does it make sense to run two duplicate wikis? To me that seems a bit daft.

Lanx:
just redo it, alps has always be confusing, cuz it was a horrible wiki built upon a horrible wiki, remake it, rename it

sort it by color if that works better

make new types if that is better
instead of type 1,2,3,4 which means absolutely nothing, make them
type s for simplified
type c for complex
type m for mixed
type g for ghetto

i was never able to clearly understand alps cuz the wiki's were horribad, convoluted and just didn't make sense.

Voixdalion:
What happened to the ALPS Wiki?

Autolyze:
As far as I know, all of the old GH wikis got nuked during the reboot.

Edit:
For the new folks: Geekhack got seriously h4xx0r3d not that long ago and GH switch everything over from the crappy vBulletin software to SMF.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version