geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Fill in the missing keys

(1/12) > >>

bpiphany:
Trying to come up with ideas on how to incorporate arrow keys on a Poker sized board. Please help me out =) Focus on the space bar row, there is of course nothing stopping an ISO return, or a split left shift, split backspace, split ANSI return and so on...

kmiller8:
1.5, 1, 1.5, 7, 1

BiNiaRiS:
I'd actually be a fan of 1.5 - 1.5 - 6 - 1.5 - 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1 (kmiller8's option is good as well).

6 unit spacebars are a little harder to source but there's lots of cherry boards out there that came with them.

in the end though, it really throws off the symmetry of the board as a whole so it's a hard decision for me.

WhiteFireDragon:

--- Quote from: BiNiaRiS on Wed, 19 December 2012, 01:49:34 ---I'd actually be a fan of 1.5 - 1.5 - 6 - 1.5 - 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1 (kmiller8's option is good as well).

--- End quote ---

This sounds like a decent option, but where are we going to get a spacebar exactly in size 6x? We'll be forced to buy an old cherry board just for the spacebar. I think building it around the standard 6.25x or 7x space bar would be a better option.

bpiphany:

--- Quote from: kmiller8 on Tue, 18 December 2012, 19:23:59 ---1.5, 1, 1.5, 7, 1

--- End quote ---

This of course works well, as do 1.25+1.25+1.25+6.25+1.00+1.00+1.00+1.00+1.00 without altering the symmetry of the spacebar location, or using any funky size keys. It also allows "vim style" arrow keys, with a regular shift row.

(Look at all those 1.00X keys!)

--- Quote from: BiNiaRiS on Wed, 19 December 2012, 01:49:34 ---I'd actually be a fan of 1.5 - 1.5 - 6 - 1.5 - 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1 (kmiller8's option is good as well).

6 unit spacebars are a little harder to source but there's lots of cherry boards out there that came with them.

in the end though, it really throws off the symmetry of the board as a whole so it's a hard decision for me.

--- End quote ---

I think that as long as it is a size SP supplies there is no big problem. In the end there would need to be keys with custom printing made anyway (doesn't really apply to spacebar of course..). And the shift keys are also non-standard widths.

My best effort keeping as many of the modifiers as possible is to use a 4.50 spacebar. I don't know if this is Japanese standard in general, but Filco uses them on their boards, and they are also available from SP. I also tend to use only my right thumb for space myself, but that could probably be trained away =)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version