geekhack Community > Keyboards

Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)

<< < (3372/3389) > >>

faye_valentine:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Fri, 04 February 2022, 10:27:59 ---
--- Quote from: faye_valentine on Thu, 03 February 2022, 02:05:00 ---Trying to replace ibm model rubber dome keypad with mechanical keypad I had lying around. When removing the mechanical keypad from its previous circuit, I believe I might have broken it. Please help.(

--- End quote ---
The ribbon cable looks fine, only thing that looks possibly damaged is the socket - did the front snap off?  As long as something holds the ribbon against the connector it will work so doesn't look fatal.

If I'm missing something obvious feel free to point it out, I'm pretty much one eyed at the moment so it's very possible Show Image

--- End quote ---

I assumed I could pull the ribbon, with the socket at the end, directly out of the board. I accidentally pulled the ribbon directly out of the socket itself. Now it's a "naked" ribbon and I'm not sure if I can put it back into a socket, but was afraid to test in case I damaged the ribbon (further). Let me know if you need clarification.

user 18:

--- Quote from: faye_valentine on Tue, 08 February 2022, 04:36:07 ---
--- Quote from: faye_valentine on Thu, 03 February 2022, 02:05:00 ---Trying to replace ibm model rubber dome keypad with mechanical keypad I had lying around. When removing the mechanical keypad from its previous circuit, I believe I might have broken it. Please help.(

--- End quote ---
The ribbon cable looks fine, only thing that looks possibly damaged is the socket - did the front snap off?  As long as something holds the ribbon against the connector it will work so doesn't look fatal.

If I'm missing something obvious feel free to point it out, I'm pretty much one eyed at the moment so it's very possible Show Image

--- End quote ---

I assumed I could pull the ribbon, with the socket at the end, directly out of the board. I accidentally pulled the ribbon directly out of the socket itself. Now it's a "naked" ribbon and I'm not sure if I can put it back into a socket, but was afraid to test in case I damaged the ribbon (further). Let me know if you need clarification.

--- End quote ---

I know that many ribbon cables don't actually have connectors on them, just exposed conductors on the plastic membrane. The socket is soldered to the board. I'm 90% sure that the IBM controllers fall into that category, but don't have one in front of me to double-check.

E: for reference, here's what a model M controller looks like without the ribbon cables inserted. From what I can tell, this is the same socket as your board, which just expects the 'naked' ribbon to be inserted. It doesn't look to me like anything is damaged in your photo.

faye_valentine:
Thanks, I'll check the link until further notice.

faye_valentine:

--- Quote from: user 18 on Fri, 11 February 2022, 11:28:23 ---
--- Quote from: faye_valentine on Tue, 08 February 2022, 04:36:07 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I know that many ribbon cables don't actually have connectors on them, just exposed conductors on the plastic membrane. The socket is soldered to the board. I'm 90% sure that the IBM controllers fall into that category, but don't have one in front of me to double-check.

E: for reference, here's what a model M controller looks like without the ribbon cables inserted. From what I can tell, this is the same socket as your board, which just expects the 'naked' ribbon to be inserted. It doesn't look to me like anything is damaged in your photo.

--- End quote ---

well it appears as though the "working" ibm model m has stopped working
i'm noticing that a ps2 connecter requires 6 metal pins and a large rectangular pin, whereas my current "working" ibm has only 4.
currently not sure as to whether these pins accidentally came off or if I received the ibm this way
pics related
i might still try conducting the keypad swap given i can't get the keyboard working soon just as a fun project

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: faye_valentine on Mon, 07 March 2022, 08:00:09 ---
ps2 connecter requires 6 metal pins and a large rectangular pin, whereas my current "working" ibm has only 4

--- End quote ---

The socket does not "require" 6 pins, it accommodates them. There are only 4 that are live. The ones marked "2" and "6" on the diagram aren't doing anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version