geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

USB to USB keyboard converter build log(Pro Micro 3.3v with mini host shield)

<< < (2/7) > >>

clickclack123:
Great work and thanks so much for all the info, this is a great option.

I bought a host shield mini a long time ago and planned to have a go at this but never got around to working it out.

With the USB Host Shield Mini boards being AUD$8.43 (US$6.29) from China on ebay now, this is a nice option. I couldn't find the 3.3V Pro Micro boards on ebay but the 5V ones are AUD$5.31 (US$3.96). It's not too hard to change the regulator to a 3.3V one, I've done it with a hot air station, kapton tape and applying solder paste with a toothpick, and the regulators are cheap, eg SPX3819 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181963109679 AUD$3.86 (US$2.78) for 10. That would be running the Pro Micro slightly out of spec, 16MHz at 3.3V but reports suggest that it works fine.

PatrickR:

--- Quote from: yangdigi on Sat, 12 March 2016, 20:05:26 ---In this topic, I just showed how to make USB to USB keyboard converter with a Pro Micro 3.3v and mini host shield..

--- End quote ---
You wrote Pro Micro 3.3v, I thought a Pro Micro 3V3 variant has a 8MHz quartz but on your pictures it seems it's the 16MHz quartz on the board like on the 5V Pro Micro ?
So I'm a little bit confused.

Patrick

yangdigi:

--- Quote from: PatrickR on Sun, 12 February 2017, 17:22:19 ---
--- Quote from: yangdigi on Sat, 12 March 2016, 20:05:26 ---In this topic, I just showed how to make USB to USB keyboard converter with a Pro Micro 3.3v and mini host shield..

--- End quote ---
You wrote Pro Micro 3.3v, I thought a Pro Micro 3V3 variant has a 8MHz quartz but on your pictures it seems it's the 16MHz quartz on the board like on the 5V Pro Micro ?
So I'm a little bit confused.

Patrick

--- End quote ---
That Pro Micro is a Chinese clone one from taobao. It's 3.3v but 16Mhz quartz.
Pro Micro 3.3v with 8Mhz quartz can work well too.

Liocer:
The USB Host adaptors seem pretty impossible to get :S

PatrickR:

--- Quote from: Liocer on Tue, 14 February 2017, 04:34:06 ---The USB Host adaptors seem pretty impossible to get :S

--- End quote ---
Which do you mean ?

--- Quote from: yangdigi on Tue, 14 February 2017, 00:02:22 ---That Pro Micro is a Chinese clone one from taobao. It's 3.3v but 16Mhz quartz.
Pro Micro 3.3v with 8Mhz quartz can work well too.

--- End quote ---
As hint, but I'm sure you know it already, related to the "ATMega32U4", the 3.3V with 16MHz, is out of the Safe Operating Area.
But I also read that it works as you described and done it.  :thumb:

Patrick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version