Author Topic: KUL ES-87 Tenkeyless Keyboard (Cherry MX Clear)  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Gaahl

KUL ES-87 Tenkeyless Keyboard (Cherry MX Clear)
« on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:46:56 »
For you guys looking for clears thisthis seems like a really good option and the price isn't too bad at $130. Has anyone else gotten to have one of Kul's keyboards and what has the quality been like?
Poker II MX Clears
Leopold fc660c

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: KUL ES-87 Tenkeyless Keyboard (Cherry MX Clear)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:47:40 »
eyesmiles wrote a nice review on this keyboard if you're interested in reading a review.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 12:08:54 »
There is also a thread on this keyboard located -> http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58621.0

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 18:50:57 »
Just got my Kul ES-87 with mx clears. This is the first time I have tried clear switches, and I didn't like them at all. I tend to bottom out on all other switches, but clears punish your fingers for attempting this. To me, the switch feels like mush with sand in it. I was glad to get back to the 55g Topres on my RF 87u board.

One thing I didn't like about the Kul ES-87 was the mini-USB connector in a recessed area on the underside of the board. It is very difficult to get a standard mini-USB plug into the recessed receptacle. Luckily, the connector on the furnished cable is shorter than normal, enabling it to fit, but it is still not a smooth operation to plug or unplug the keyboard from the cable. While there is something to be said for cable routing, I would prefer to have an easy to reach connector on the back of the case rather than on the underside.

If I could find a Cherry mx switch that I liked, the Kul ES-87 board would be okay. The quality appears to be on par or better than TKL boards from CM or Filco. I really like the abundance of DIP switch settings, which enabled me to bypass using software to swap CapsLock and Control, Alt and Win/OS, Fn and Menu, and even Backspace and Backslash. All the keycaps for these swaps were provided, although I would want to replace the stock lasered/infilled ABS caps with a dye-sub PBT set.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 18:54:10 »
I use an aftermarket cable i got in Japan and it works fine for me
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline divito

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 02:42:01 »
Just got my Kul ES-87 with mx clears. This is the first time I have tried clear switches, and I didn't like them at all. I tend to bottom out on all other switches, but clears punish your fingers for attempting this. To me, the switch feels like mush with sand in it. I was glad to get back to the 55g Topres on my RF 87u board.

Punish? I have no issues bottoming out on clears. What type of punishment are you experiencing?
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 05:17:55 »
I have the same keyboard and I love it! This is my second MX Clear board (first being a Leopold FC660M), I've swapped the stock key caps with the Bumble Bee set and it's an absolute pleasure to type with. I have no problem bottoming out, it feels firm and crisp when I depress the keys with my fingers. This is my fave MX switch type actually....

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 09:37:34 »
@divito, @PadawanGeek:

Cherry mx clears are sought after, and so they must be the right switch for many people, but they do not work well for me. It seems that the force curve takes a sharp upturn after the actuation point, so that bottoming out has to be somewhat forced rather than a natural follow-through of the keystroke as it is with IBM buckling springs or Topre switches.

After my negative experience with clears, which to me feel heavy and gritty, I am considering trying a linear switch, such as vintage blacks or reds. This might seem odd for someone who likes a definite tactile switch such as IBM buckling springs or 55g Topres, but the way that Cherry mx switches provide tactility seems unpleasant to me. So far, the Cherry mx switches I have tried to any extent are blue, green, and clear. I have briefly tried brown, but I have forgotten what they felt like. I also have some vintage black keyboards, but they are Wyse terminal boards that I have not yet converted to USB, and so I have not been able to test them under actual typing conditions.

Offline Data

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 23:10:12 »
I have one with browns. It's been great so far. No issues.

I posted photos in the Midnight DCS thread.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 23:17:40 »
@divito, @PadawanGeek:

Cherry mx clears are sought after, and so they must be the right switch for many people, but they do not work well for me. It seems that the force curve takes a sharp upturn after the actuation point, so that bottoming out has to be somewhat forced rather than a natural follow-through of the keystroke as it is with IBM buckling springs or Topre switches.

After my negative experience with clears, which to me feel heavy and gritty, I am considering trying a linear switch, such as vintage blacks or reds. This might seem odd for someone who likes a definite tactile switch such as IBM buckling springs or 55g Topres, but the way that Cherry mx switches provide tactility seems unpleasant to me. So far, the Cherry mx switches I have tried to any extent are blue, green, and clear. I have briefly tried brown, but I have forgotten what they felt like. I also have some vintage black keyboards, but they are Wyse terminal boards that I have not yet converted to USB, and so I have not been able to test them under actual typing conditions.

I was just talking about this in the recent livestream.

I think linear switches with added haptics on actuation is excellent! Kinesis implement a buzzer to make a noise when the switch actuates, it's really great! Other options include solenoid or a speaker.

Offline dantan

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 02:52:20 »
@divito, @PadawanGeek:

I was just talking about this in the recent livestream.

I think linear switches with added haptics on actuation is excellent! Kinesis implement a buzzer to make a noise when the switch actuates, it's really great! Other options include solenoid or a speaker.

Surely there are softwares to make noises when you use your keyboard. There is no need to get a buzzer.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:53:00 »
A solenoid can add tactility to linear switches like the one on some old IBM boards.

Also, about the feeling of Clears, for those who don't like the spring force increase after activation you should try lighter springs with a flatter force curve, like 62g Korean ones. 62g lubed ErgoClears with trampolines are my current favourite switch.

The ES-87 is a very nice board overall, but I totally agree about the MiniUSB port position on it and many other boards like the Ducky TKLs. It forces you to insert it at an angle.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Data

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:01:51 »
The ES-87 is a very nice board overall, but I totally agree about the MiniUSB port position on it and many other boards like the Ducky TKLs. It forces you to insert it at an angle.

Strangely, I did not have that problem.  With enough slack on the cable I'm able to insert the USB connector straight into the port.  This was with the stock, non-braided cable.  Have you had a different experience?