Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 647662 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #1650 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 17:51:26 »
I want an rs6 avant. But as an American.  NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. apparently we hate wagons here.

Dat CTS-V tho

Show Image

Wow.  I'd drive that.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1651 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:08:20 »
It's seriously nice. 6.2L supercharged V8 with 556hp :eek:
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1652 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 23:56:50 »
I'd never spend my money on a Cadillac, they overpriced for the quality you're getting in my opinion.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1653 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 00:12:40 »
I want an rs6 avant. But as an American.  NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. apparently we hate wagons here.

Great choice. I would love one too, if I had family to haul around.

SUVs to haul kids around is a foreign concept in Europe apparently, it's all about the wagons. :D

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1654 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 06:37:18 »
The hell with kids. I want it for me OuO
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1655 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:16:39 »

Don't have kids so you can afford it faster, problem solved. :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1656 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 12:30:42 »

Don't have kids so you can afford it faster, problem solved. :thumb:

That's the plan. Hate children and I'm selfish. Best attitude to have nice ****.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #1657 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:15:31 »

Great choice. I would love one too, if I had family to haul around.

SUVs to haul kids around is a foreign concept in Europe apparently, it's all about the wagons. :D

Just trade that 3 series in for one of these, should be a pretty even trade

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #1658 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:19:32 »
Just got these so I can haul Des around all winter...
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/assurance-comfortred-touring?cta=BBCardTireName

I ordered online and the dealer called me and said he had 'em in stock so he'd give me 4 for price of 3 minus $80 MIR, too. He saved me so much moneys. I now owe him my allegiance, I suppose.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1659 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:22:01 »
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/assurance-comfortred-touring?cta=BBCardTireName

I ordered online and the dealer called me and said he had 'em in stock so he'd give me 4 for price of 3 minus $80 MIR, too. He saved me so much moneys. I now owe him my allegiance, I suppose.

That's a really nice deal, as long as nothing goes wrong I'd say he's a keeper. It's always a benefit to be in good relations with your mechanic, there's a lot of ways they could screw you over. :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1660 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:23:08 »

or a hand job at the very least

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #1661 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:24:23 »

Yep. Pretty much owe him a good lubing.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1662 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:24:52 »

i want to sell you stuff now

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #1663 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:26:39 »

i want to sell you stuff now

You should. I owe tj, punks, triz, sed8 and a few other people HJs for helping me with a vape so I don't fall back on cigs when I'm stressing.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1664 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:29:39 »
bruh i better be first in line. i dont want no half assed tired HJs. bee will give you pointers OuO

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1665 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:45:37 »
I'd never spend my money on a Cadillac, they overpriced for the quality you're getting in my opinion.

Fair enough, but I would rather pay the £65K for the CTS-V than the £120K for an SL63 AMG

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1666 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:48:55 »

Fair enough, but I would rather pay the £65K for the CTS-V than the £120K for an SL63 AMG

if i was rich i'd buy them both

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1667 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:54:20 »

I agree with you there, the CTS-V does have a nice engine in but it doesn't have much else going for it. If I was looking for American Muscle I'd would go with a Hellcat Challenger for sure, cheaper and faster than the Cadillac. If we were talking oldies then my top pick would be '70 Cuda with a 426 Hemi big block engine.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1668 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 15:00:26 »

I agree with you there, the CTS-V does have a nice engine in but it doesn't have much else going for it. If I was looking for American Muscle I'd would go with a Hellcat Challenger for sure, cheaper and faster than the Cadillac. If we were talking oldies then my top pick would be '70 Cuda with a 426 Hemi big block engine.

I wouldn't get it for the muscle. For that I would pick up a Big Boss or a '69 Charger, but I would get it for speed and practicality. It's why I was looking at the Octavia VRS tbh.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1669 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 15:24:24 »

I wouldn't get it for the muscle. For that I would pick up a Big Boss or a '69 Charger, but I would get it for speed and practicality. It's why I was looking at the Octavia VRS tbh.

Ah ok the Octavia VRS is a pretty nice car too, to bad you don't see them in the States. For a daily driver you can't really go wrong with what Karura has, the BMWs are nice cars. The downside is the run-flat tires they make you put on them and can get pricey for replacement parts after your warranty is up. For a daily driver for myself I would pick an M4 over the CTS-V, not as many horses but better engineering imo.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1670 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 15:35:16 »

mmmm

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1671 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 15:58:21 »
Mmm, I'm not a fan of BMWs at all. I like them more than Mercedes, but I'm not a big fan of them.

I will probably just end up with a second hand, big Audi. Like an A7 or an A6.

Show Image

mmmm

That's nice... I would love a new Mustang but I can't justify running two cars that aren't exactly cheap to keep on the road  :))

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1672 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:09:28 »
Mmm, I'm not a fan of BMWs at all. I like them more than Mercedes, but I'm not a big fan of them.

I will probably just end up with a second hand, big Audi. Like an A7 or an A6.

Can't go wrong with Audi either, both A7s and A6s are nice. At first I did not like the look of Audis but over the years they have gotten better on the look of the cars. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi are all nice cars but it is nice having differences in them for personal taste.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1673 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 00:45:21 »
Soooooo I got to take pictures of my current #1 dream car. Hope you guys like these.

Mclaren P1!!!!!!!!

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1674 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 00:46:25 »
Soooooo I got to take pictures of my current #1 dream car. Hope you guys like these.

Mclaren P1!!!!!!!!
Show Image

Show Image

That's my dream car as well, I would do anything to own one. :eek:

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1675 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 00:53:43 »
That's my dream car as well, I would do anything to own one. :eek:

I've never been so envious of someone else's possession as I was during this shoot. Just hearing it start up and knowing that I wasn't behind the wheel was pure torture.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #1676 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 13:41:48 »
Okay, more annoying questions about winter tires.  :D  I'm planning a road trip to Florida around New Years.  If I swap out to winter tires before then (when the snow comes), I'll be driving on winter tires for the trip.  This would be good as I navigate through WI and IL, but as I get to TN and GA I certainly won't need them and in fact it will be warmer than I'd like to run them in.  Am I overthinking this?  Should I just put the tires through those couple weeks of abuse and deal with it, or run my all-seasons for the trip and swap to winter after I get back?

Funny thing is that none of them rally anything even when we have a whole scca rallycross series.

Oooohhhh.  This in MKE or HSV?  I wanna find some rally to watch.  :D
So on the tires, contrary to what everyone has said, I wouldn't worry about the wear at all.  I've made numerous trips from MKE to HSV on the snow tires without any ill effects.  Yes, you will have some tire wear, but that's nothing compared to the deductible if something goes wrong on the all-seasons if there's snow.  To me tires are a wear item (along with brakes)--get the best you can and don't worry about wearing them out because they will wear out anyways.

Rallycross is in HSV.  MKE's car scene is not even 1/50th of what's in little old HSV.  Here's some event coverage for you to enjoy from some events:  :cool:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4072
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=4204

Hmm.  So my suspicions may be true after all.  Well, we'll see where I'm at.  And if it even snows much by then.  I'll get shopping again and go from there.  :thumb: 
Thank you for your input (srsly tho xD )

And damn!  I was hoping there was a good car scene there.  I hadn't heard of anything down there but oh well.  I think there's a little going on up here where I'm at, but not a ton that would be up my alley.

Is that your account on the other site??  ;)  Man, I should hitch a ride down there with you sometime to take a look.  :P
I can't believe I missed replying to your post!  :-[  You already know about the snow question by now, lol.

Yeah, MKE doesn't have much in comparison to HSV, which doesn't surprise me as much as I thought it would.  Madison seems to have more going on, but it's a bit of a trek.  The 2014 Hot Rod Power Tour started there though, so that had to be killer.

Yep, sure is.  I own the site, so I'm the admin, head photographer, accounting department, customer service, tech support, ceo, head janitor, and more.  :))  I wish my trips down even gave me time to breathe, but once they do and I hit the events again, you're more than welcome to tag along.  :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1677 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 13:56:35 »
Woke up super early today. It's that time of year again to put the summers to rest, and just wanted to remind everyone that it's dangerous to drive with the wrong tires below 7 deg C!

Summer performance tires harden under 7C and it's very important to make sure you have the right tires in the winter.

Show Image

You changed them about the time I wanted to.  Wife said it was too early and now it's cold.  :(  Not good for summer Potenzas, although I haven't really felt too much difference.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1678 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 14:06:27 »

Mclaren P1!!!!!!!!
Show Image

Show Image

Holy mother...wow.  Great shots!  You must have had a full studio with a white box and scrims?  Did you do the interior as well?  I'd love to see those...drool...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1679 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 15:38:13 »

Mclaren P1!!!!!!!!
Show Image

Show Image

P1s look insane in person. I've seen 4 so far (white, black, mclaren orange, and volcano red) they all look like space ships but the depth mclaren gets out of their metallic colors really takes it to another level.

118715-0

Last week my brother and I went to a local dealer because they had a CCXR Special Edition arrive. When we arrived they still had a few customer cars including a Huayra, Sergio, 675LT, Volcano Red P1 (seen this car a few times). There was also a white 675LT in the back but they wanted to keep that car on the hush hush (might have been MSO). Every time I go there it blows my mind.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1680 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 16:09:00 »

Mclaren P1!!!!!!!!
Show Image

Show Image

P1s look insane in person. I've seen 4 so far (white, black, mclaren orange, and volcano red) they all look like space ships but the depth mclaren gets out of their metallic colors really takes it to another level.

(Attachment Link)

Last week my brother and I went to a local dealer because they had a CCXR Special Edition arrive. When we arrived they still had a few customer cars including a Huayra, Sergio, 675LT, Volcano Red P1 (seen this car a few times). There was also a white 675LT in the back but they wanted to keep that car on the hush hush (might have been MSO). Every time I go there it blows my mind.
My my my, that is just ridiculous.  :eek: :p :thumb:

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1681 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 17:34:15 »
Holy mother...wow.  Great shots!  You must have had a full studio with a white box and scrims?  Did you do the interior as well?  I'd love to see those...drool...
Hahaha thanks. Ready to have your mind blown? This is the light I used...

And here is a pic of the interior which is part of a different set from that same shoot.

I love Koenigseggggggggs. The Agera was my #1 until the P1s came out. That CCXR is nuts. I've seen the full carbon Huayra in person and that is another sick car. The pictures were done at my friends detailing shop and this was the full spread there that day.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1682 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 18:13:30 »

I love Koenigseggggggggs. The Agera was my #1 until the P1s came out. That CCXR is nuts. I've seen the full carbon Huayra in person and that is another sick car.

When I was able to get close to the Huayra the attention to detail was amazing, it was all clearly hand made but perfect.

1018hp, full carbon, and stick! How could you not love the CCXR.  :))
Sadly the CCXR remained behind ropes so I wasn't able to really look at it, however, I was able to see the ghost on the engine cover.  :p
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1683 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 09:47:42 »
Hahaha thanks. Ready to have your mind blown? This is the light I used...
Show Image

And here is a pic of the interior which is part of a different set from that same shoot.
Show Image

Show Image

I love Koenigseggggggggs. The Agera was my #1 until the P1s came out. That CCXR is nuts. I've seen the full carbon Huayra in person and that is another sick car. The pictures were done at my friends detailing shop and this was the full spread there that day.
Show Image

Amazing.  The right light in the right places can do wonders.  I've never been able to get down studio lighting as beautiful as that.  The best I've done was probably this shoot using a streetlamp that happened to be there, lol. 

And of course, as I look for it, I can't find that shot for some reason even though I recall publishing it because I was pretty proud of it. :(

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1684 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 14:54:32 »

Mclaren P1!!!!!!!!
Show Image

Show Image

These are great photos.

I've been trying to learn more about automotive photography.

Do you mind sharing what is done to take a shot like this? Also, any pp stitching to have a completely illuminated car?

I assume you have an off-camera powerful light, tripod, long exposure, small aperture? Would love to hear some advice. :)

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1685 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 16:11:27 »
These are great photos.

Do you mind sharing what is done to take a shot like this? Also, any pp stitching to have a completely illuminated car?

I assume you have an off-camera powerful light, tripod, long exposure, small aperture? Would love to hear some advice. :)

Thanks, and sure. As far as camera settings for the curious: ISO 100, 20 second exposure, f8 at 105mm. This was shot on a Sony A7s (I mainly do video for a living, A7rII makes for a better photo cam). It was done in a pitch black warehouse and it was lit by hand. I basically walked a $30 LED shop light, like the one I showed a few posts back, around the car during the exposure. Angle and distance for the light were figured out in a couple test shots. This final one was probably my 4th frame. Raws where brought into Lightroom to do all color and then sent into photoshop for further cleanup. The front is mostly mirrored for evenness just because I wanted it to be perfect. This is what it looked like before my final pass. Some might say it was unnecessary but I wanted it to be even. Anyways if you have questions let me know, always happy to help.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1686 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:49:47 »
Thank you for sharing!  I've had so many opportunities to do stuff like this at informal gatherings where the light is less, but can never get anything like that. :( How many lumens is your light source?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1687 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:56:19 »
These are great photos.

Thanks, and sure. As far as camera settings for the curious: ISO 100, 20 second exposure, f8 at 105mm. This was shot on a Sony A7s (I mainly do video for a living, A7rII makes for a better photo cam). It was done in a pitch black warehouse and it was lit by hand. I basically walked a $30 LED shop light, like the one I showed a few posts back, around the car during the exposure. Angle and distance for the light were figured out in a couple test shots. This final one was probably my 4th frame. Raws where brought into Lightroom to do all color and then sent into photoshop for further cleanup. The front is mostly mirrored for evenness just because I wanted it to be perfect. This is what it looked like before my final pass. Some might say it was unnecessary but I wanted it to be even. Anyways if you have questions let me know, always happy to help.
Show Image

Appreciate it. Love to hear the breakdown of it. Didn't catch the mirrored front at first, but it looks good.

I've got a D750 and 16-35mm F4 and a tripod. Really eager and excited to take some photos, hopefully sometime this winter if there's a good winter spot. :)

So generally, for better natural lighting in the outside (since I don't own an external flash or any flash for that matter), would a F4 or F8 with longer exposure be the go-to for settings? I assume it's similar to taking photos in the dark, but just shorter exposure time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 December 2015, 21:39:20 by Karura »

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #1688 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 23:45:12 »
Appreciate it. Love to hear the breakdown of it. Didn't catch the mirrored front at first, but it looks good.

I've got a D750 and 16-35mm F4 and a tripod. Really eager and excited to take some photos, hopefully sometime this winter if there's a good winter spot. :)

So generally, for better natural lighting in the outside (since I don't own an external flash or any flash for that matter), would a F4 or F8 with longer exposure be the go-to for settings? I assume it's similar to taking photos in the dark, but just shorter exposure time.

It all depends of your goal. There are infinite possibilities and no right or wrong as long as your exposure and your composition are good. If you want everything in focus, shoot F8-F11. This is great for things like landscapes and architecture. If you are shooting something that you want to be the *ahem* focal point of your image, then shoot F4 since that will separate the object from the foreground/background a little better. There are certain situations where slowing down the shutter gives cool effects such as making running water look milky or a busy road look streaky. Wide angles exaggerate distance, so use that creatively as well. Getting really close to your subject can give some cool effects.

This is a pretty complete course on photo that is available for free. If you have the time you should sign up and watch it. https://www.creativelive.com/courses/fundamentals-digital-photography-2014-john-greengo

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1689 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:03:44 »
Used the roof rack properly for the first time yesterday!

Filled the car with all but two boxes of stuff from my parents for the move. It was very interesting driving around with a huge box on top! And the wind noise was something else :P

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #1690 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:11:55 »

Show Image

Filled the car with all but two boxes of stuff from my parents for the move. It was very interesting driving around with a huge box on top! And the wind noise was something else :P

Vroom vroom! That thing's in top condition for its age!  :D

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1691 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:49:49 »
Bought a new car yesterday, I now drive a silver forester.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1692 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:30:45 »

BROOOOOOOOO

Why am I reading about this on geekhack??

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1693 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:55:31 »

BROOOOOOOOO

You'll see it at some point.

The matrix will live it's second life in Coleman WI.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1694 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 13:34:58 »

BROOOOOOOOO

Oooh, that's not too far from me.  :cool:  Lookin' forward to seeing it.  No pics??  :confused:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1695 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 13:37:54 »

BROOOOOOOOO

Oooh, that's not too far from me.  :cool:  Lookin' forward to seeing it.  No pics??  :confused:
Dad found the deal back home, I won't have it for a bit.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1696 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 13:54:46 »

BROOOOOOOOO

Dad found the deal back home, I won't have it for a bit.

Ahhhh, got it. Well don't hold out on us too long, mmkay?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1697 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 00:39:35 »

Show Image

This is awesome. :D Still planning to get the Thule fairing? It should help with the wind noise.

This is a pretty complete course on photo that is available for free. If you have the time you should sign up and watch it. https://www.creativelive.com/courses/fundamentals-digital-photography-2014-john-greengo

Awesome, thank you for the link. I'll check it out whenever I have the time to learn more. :)

Love free online resources for learning. :thumb:

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1698 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 00:45:16 »

How does this sound?

Been looking for a nice OEM+ exhaust for my W124.036. ^-^

I like how it has the V8 grumble without being too over the top, and looks just like the original exhaust.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1699 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 02:59:49 »

Show Image

This is awesome. :D Still planning to get the Thule fairing? It should help with the wind noise.

Yeah, I bought a really big one a while ago but it is really too big. There are so many people rocking the shorter ones, like this Jetta.

Just need to try and find one now, because neither Thule or Rhino sell the front fairings in the UK from their website. Only the American versions of the site sells them. WTF.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2015, 06:00:37 by katushkin »