Author Topic: Introducing the Pokerdox  (Read 2491 times)

Offline smellz

Introducing the Pokerdox
« on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:10:12 »
This was my first ever custom keyboard project and it was a pretty awesome experience.
103103-0
It all started about six months ago when I was inspired by the keyboards that I saw people making on this site. I remember thinking that the planck was pretty cool but I wanted a number row. I decided that I wanted a 60% keyboard with some sort of matrix layout.

Once I got an ergodox, I realized that I really liked the top four rows of the layout; I also realized that it could fit in a universal 60% case (without vertical stagger or splitting of course).
The bottom row was something that I couldn't figure out for a long time. The layout that I used in the end was what I thought was the best looking and it also fits my thumbs quite well. The only downside is that the bottom row screw hole interferes with a stabilizer. When assembling, I decided just to omit that screw.
I got the plate made by Big Blue Saw, and the firmware is Hasu's TMK firmware, of course. The switches are black Gaterons, from Shadovved and hwood's groupbuy.
More
103105-1
103107-2
103109-3
103111-4
103113-5
103115-6
103117-7

Fitting everything into the 60% case was a bit of a challenge. The teensy's usb port makes it just a bit too thick and it caused two keys to keep popping up (I didn't glue the switches in which was a mistake). So I took a router bit to the case and made room (Sorry no pics of this). The internal usb cable was causing a similar issue, but trimming of the switch and the cable eventually allowed everything to fit.

Thanks to everybody who helped me helped me along the way!
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 21:27:00 by smellz »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Introducing the Pokerdox
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 03:06:15 »
More pics would have been great but that is an interesting board you've got.  Please can you share your keymap?  There are a lot of larger keys I'm intrigued by :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 06:03:44 »
I came in here expecting to see a poker cut in half. :P

Nice board though, also curious of your layout?

Offline smellz

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 06:21:19 »
Thanks! My layout is basically the same as what I use on my ergodox, which is probably quite different from what most people use.
103148-0
This doesn't show everything but should give a good idea of the two main layers. There's also a qwerty layer with a space bar in a better position for gaming, and an experimental layer that has f1-f12 and some mouse controls. I'll add the actual code from the firmware below.
I like having access to all the same keys you have on a normal 60% without putting punctuation keys in the bottom row or the function layer. Hence the '`' (or ~) and '\' keys being in the center columns.
More
Code: [Select]
#include "keymap_common.h"
const uint8_t PROGMEM keymaps[][MATRIX_ROWS][MATRIX_COLS] = {
    /* 0: colemak */
    KEYMAP(
        ESC,   1,    2,   3,   4,   5,  FN2, FN1,  6,   7,      8,    9,     0,    EQL, \
        TAB,   Q,    W,   F,   P,   G, LBRC, RBRC, J,   L,      U,    Y,  SCLN,   MINS, \
        LCTRL, A,    R,   S,   T,   D,             H,   N,      E,    I,     O,   QUOT, \
        LSFT,  Z,    X,   C,   V,   B,  GRV, BSLS, K,   M,   COMM,  DOT,  SLSH,   RSFT, \
        FN3, DEL, LALT, FN0,            ENT, BSPC,            SPC, LGUI,   FN0,     FN3 ),
/*1: qwerty gaming */
KEYMAP(
        ESC,   1,    2,   3,   4,   5,  FN2,  FN2, 6,   7,      8,    9,     0,    EQL, \
        TAB,   Q,    W,   E,   R,   T, LBRC, RBRC, Y,   U,      I,    O,     P,   MINS, \
        LCTRL, A,    S,   D,   F,   G,             H,   J,      K,    L,  SCLN,   QUOT, \
        LSFT,  Z,    X,   C,   V,   B,  GRV, BSLS, N,   M,   COMM,  DOT,  SLSH,   RSFT, \
        FN3, DEL, LALT, SPC,            FN0,  ENT,           BSPC, LGUI,   FN0,     FN3 ),
/*2: fn main */
KEYMAP(
        NO,      NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,   NO,  FN1,   FN1, FN1, PSLS,  PAST,  PMNS,    NO,    EQL, \
        NO,    PGUP,  HOME,    UP,   END, VOLU, CAPS,  PDOT,  P7,   P8,    P9,  PPLS,  SCLN,   MINS, \
        LCTRL, PGDN,  LEFT,  DOWN, RIGHT, VOLD,               P4,   P5,    P6,  COMM,    NO,   QUOT, \
        LSFT,   F13,   F14,   F15,   F16, PSCR,  DEL,    P0,  P1,   P2,    P3,   ENT,  SLSH,   RSFT, \
        FN3,    DEL,  LALT,   FN0,               FN0,   BSPC,             SPC,  LGUI,   FN0,    FN3 ),
/*3: f keys and mouse */
KEYMAP(
NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    \
NO,    F1,    F2,    F3,    F4,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,  BTN4,  BTN3,  BTN5,    NO,    \
LCTRL, F5,    F6,    F7,    F8,    NO,                  NO,  WH_U,  BTN1,  MS_U,  BTN2,    RCTRL,    \
LSFT,  F9,   F10,   F11,   F12,    NO,    NO,    NO,    NO,  WH_D,  MS_L,  MS_D,  MS_R,    RSFT,    \
FN3,   NO,  LALT,    NO,                  NO,    NO,                  NO,  LGUI,   FN0,    FN3 ),

};
const uint16_t PROGMEM fn_actions[] = {
    /* Poker Layout */
    [0] = ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY(2),
    [1] = ACTION_LAYER_TOGGLE(2),
    [2] = ACTION_LAYER_TOGGLE(1),
    [3] = ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY(3),
};

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2015, 06:25:06 by smellz »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 06:51:41 »
This reminds me of the Molecular (65%) keyboard layout ideas from Jack:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1438cNYMFXT7x3ISfVGosvlDlTgzEs17jJGb-97hddB0/viewform

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 13:38:09 »
great work, but I think author should have gone with split layout to allow his shoulders to relax.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline smellz

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 17:41:10 »
This reminds me of the Molecular (65%) keyboard layout ideas from Jack:
I had been thinking of my layout for a long time and I found it interesting when I first saw Jack's idea. Very similar, but mine fits in a universal 60% case  ;)

Offline technomancy

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 03:22:47 »
Nice job; looks good.

Fitting everything into the 60% case was a bit of a challenge. The teensy's usb port makes it just a bit too thick and it caused two keys to keep popping up.

I had this problem too, switching away to an A-Star controller (using USB micro) helped a lot.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 03:39:58 »
Nice board.

With all these interesting layouts/builds, I really wish people would make short typing vids to show the advantages they gain.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline smellz

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:27:46 »
Thanks technomancy  :)
I had this problem too, switching away to an A-Star controller (using USB micro) helped a lot.
That's pretty cool. If I make another one (with a slimmer case), I will definitely get that controller.

With all these interesting layouts/builds, I really wish people would make short typing vids to show the advantages they gain.
Good idea. If I can think of a way to do this with my extremely limited photography hardware (just my phone), I will.