Author Topic: Are fones 2 xpensive ?  (Read 3697 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Are fones 2 xpensive ?
« on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 18:39:11 »
Ifone's pushing $1500 now.  and other brands are sticking to $1000.

That's a full gaming PC price.

Even split payment on a cellphone plan, it's a bit pricey for what's essentially email..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Are fones 2 xpensive ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 18:49:51 »
I try and keep it under $350

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 19:03:55 »
Overpriced and over-hyped. It is what describe Apple's marketing style. Besides, each phone's carbon and water footprints are huge. So, buying an economical phone only when it needs replacement help your wallet and the planet.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 19:06:35 »
There's only one phone I'd consider buying at the moment, the f(x)tec pro 1.  If they succeed in getting it to run mainline Linux it will be perfect but Sailfish will do until then.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 19:16:09 »
If you plan on having it for as long as a PC then the price ain't too bad. I bought my Note8 for $900 and plan on having it for at least five years. I maintain it regularly and honestly can say it performs pretty much as I remember it from out of the box.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 23:40:26 »
Mine was $0 with the cheapest contract they had available xD .

Not an iphone though, obviously :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 00:35:29 »
short answer: ye

long answer: yes

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 03:55:18 »
Mine was $0 with the cheapest contract they had available xD .

Not an iphone though, obviously :p .

Tp4 is all for tech,  but $1000 email machine is really high..

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 07:38:56 »
I think it is ridiculous. Production of this crap doesn't even cost half of it.
I remember my first smart phone Galaxy S2 - it was more expensive than other phones, but not that high and back in a days it was a top-tech stuff.
I think all iSh**t products are too expensive and crappy anyway...
Like that monitor stand for $999...

I'm not even gonna mention graphics cards in last years...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 16:42:06 »
Ifone's pushing $1500 now.  and other brands are sticking to $1000.

That's a full gaming PC price.

Even split payment on a cellphone plan, it's a bit pricey for what's essentially email..

Show Image

Good thing as technology is advancing i can get a cell phone for 100 uSD

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 00:25:50 »
You guys forgot about folding phones which are hitting $2k.

Too expensive? Both yes and no.
Lower end phones, which are good enough, are SUPER cheap and you can often pick up a brand new phone for nothing or close to it, worst case, ask around, most households have at least one stashed in a drawer since most members of a family have one as they are almost disposable at this point (which is insane in itself). On the used market you can get an S8 brand new (still in the box) for $300 and it's barely any different than an S9, which can be had for under $400. More importantly though, most apps run just fine on 5 and 6 year old phones, sure, new features are good, but has any of the new features really changed how you use the phone enough to justify the price? I could easily go back to a Galaxy S5 and be pretty much okay for all that I use my phone for.

On the other hand, top of the line new is just getting stupid and carrier subsidies are at least partly to blame. If everyone paid full price I guarantee you 99% of Iphone owners would be rocking the freebie Android phones and manufacturers would be scaling things back, the average person can't drop $1000 every 2 ears on a new phone. The other reason phones have gone up in price is that in their quest to offer you something newer and better and get that sale is that there's just simply not enough new features to set them apart (hence the S8 and S9 being so similar) and those that do adds significantly more cost. The other reason they are getting stupid expensive is stupid people willing to sell their souls for it. Stop buying this stuff and they will stop pushing it. You do not need the latest and greatest, top of the line just to take pictures of your food for Instagram, you do not need 4k resolution, and you certainly do not need an S10 or iphone just to do Gmail.

"But my phone is slow".
They can throttle due to a weak battery and they also get bogged down by garbage. When was the last time you did a reboot or better yet, a reset? Android in particular likes to be reset every now and then and Iphones throttle based on battery as well as OS bloat. Android may be good with memory management but it's not perfect, also many models are designed with a short lifespan to make sure you buy another in 2 years. Apple lost a TON of sales once they started their cheap battery replacement program which sped up a lot of slow phones, it was so significant that it was mentioned in their quarterly report because profits dropped so much.  Also, NEVER, EVER buy the smallest storage capacity Iphone, the OS grows due to security patches (those are updates for Android users, you know, those things you rarely get), while good, they can leave you lacking space. Apple knows this is an issue, but continue to offer those models specifically as a way to hook you and then push you to buying another, larger one where they markup the storage costs and you don't get that sweet, sweet subsidy or carrier discount. There is a bonus though, larger storage models always command a premium second hand.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Kavik

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 00:28:50 »
I have a flip phone. When the hinge broke last year, I just bought the same phone on eBay for $20 and put my old phone's circuit board in it (prob could've just switched the SIM card, but didn't want to lose texts). Cheap and easy.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 00:51:41 »
Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max 256gb using Tapatalk
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Sniping

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 17:26:03 »
not that expensive considering how much i use it

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 06:07:22 »
Not when your phone plan conveniently expires around the time that they put the older model on offer with no handset repayments as the new one is out.

Been doing this for like 3 phone plans now and I do actually monitor what is avaliabe throughout the year.

I think this contract I will just keep current phone as it is in perfectly fine condition, switch to prepaid until it physically is no more.

Personally I would never outright pay for a phone or pay extra for the honour of the latest release.

Oh wait are they bringing out that new razr? I would probably buy that.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 07:52:56 »
My personal answer: F**K YES, people have lost their minds to be not just willing, but excited to spend $1,500 on a phone that will be outdated in less than a year! Even worse there is a group within that group that seriously upgrades with every new release!?

My common sense answer: Yeah they are getting crazy expensive, but as long as their are enough people willing to buy a new one every release at that price or higher can you blame Apple, Samsung, etc.?

My caveat: Yes I do think someone is out of their f**king mind if they grab the newest iPhone or Galaxy upon release every time. Although TP needs to remember he is asking a group of people who pay asborant amounts for chunks of worked plastics, metals, & acrylics. So I guess we all got our own vices. The only thing that would truly make you a complete bleeding idiot is if you are buying whatever overpriced item while not having the money to really afford it.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 20:36:46 »
I recently bought a used iPhone SE for under $100. It is glorious. Really liking the size of this thing!

Offline phinix

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 03:29:03 »
I liked Samsung Galaxy S2, size, screen everything was great.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 17:58:59 »
gonna stick with my Pixel 1 for as long as I can; but then by the time I need a new phone they'll cost $2000...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 23:44:31 »

S2 had battery issues that the S3 corrected, both were a good size though.
I pulled out an old HTC One V with a sub 3.7in screen the other day and it felt so light weight and petite... It felt so great to hold and stick in your pocket, but it all went to hell the moment you went to actually use it for anything other than a phone.

I'd love something the size of an s2-s4 but with a full screen.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline guptaji

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 00:44:24 »
Yes, new phones are becoming super expensive to purchase, but the older, still effective models are becoming cheaper. The older models work perfectly fine, and there's no reason to spend more than $200 on a phone with guaranteed durability and exceptional functionality. People should just stop going with the hype, live within their means, and stop purchasing based on wants rather than needs.

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 03:09:05 »

S2 had battery issues that the S3 corrected, both were a good size though.
I pulled out an old HTC One V with a sub 3.7in screen the other day and it felt so light weight and petite... It felt so great to hold and stick in your pocket, but it all went to hell the moment you went to actually use it for anything other than a phone.

I'd love something the size of an s2-s4 but with a full screen.

Yep, exactly my thoughts. New S2 model would be nice, with all the bells and whistles, but that size etc. :)