Author Topic: [GB] GMK Necro | Available on Originative.co  (Read 158752 times)

Offline razor_blade

Re: [GB] GMK Necro | Available on Originative.co
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 07:40:05 »
Uhm, so you mean GMK Plum was a success and the final product represented the renders? Literally what Jessica, in this thread just above in a few posts, admitted they ****ed up?

Well, I now understand why you reply the way you do.

You really are arguing just to argue at this point. She's cleared things up in terms of this GB already, and she has already stated what she needed to for Plum. If you don't have faith in her then you can easily request a refund or flip the set. And what does gender have anything to do with our hobby?

At this point you're just throwing a tantrum.

As a Swede (who happens to know that Emir is Swedish as we're in the same discord) it probably makes sense to explain that "he/she" is one of the the correct way to address someone if you don't want to assume gender in Sweden. We simply doesn't have any word for the singular "they" or "their".

So you're basically mistaking his politeness as a personal attack, which probably is the opposite of what he meant, hence him not understanding why you're making such a fuzz over it.

(EDIT: Sorry for continuing the off-topic:ness, btw. But I just couldn't just let it slide as I found it sad how the situation probably arose from a misunderstanding/language barrier issue.)

Speaking of assuming things, I should add in the most important thing here: freaking out over colors in images taken with (what was likely) a cell phone camera, on your monitor/screen that is most likely not calibrated for color is completely stupid.

We have absolutely no idea what those colors look like in real life and are probably doing worse than guessing. Unless you have a properly white-balanced shot and you are looking at it on a color calibrated screen, reserve judgement. THAT is why we put trust in the GB runner. They get to look at it and decide if it matches their vision of the project (and potentially the pantone colors they have on hand).

/rant about digital photography and reproduction

And in case you feel like trying to throw an appeal to authority or false premise into your argument, I AM in on the buy, so of course I care. I would suspect that most people in this thread are in on the buy. Why else waste time posting here?

I really told myself not to reply, but when people are this dense it's difficult to abstain.

"on your monitor/screen that is most likely not calibrated for color"
You literally don't need a monitor with color, or a monitor at all for that matter, to sample hex and see that the values are SO off that it's on a completely different color scale. What are you even typing? As I wrote about 10 times now it feels like, OF COURSE I have an understanding for camera shots not being accurate, I'm not stupid - but ANYONE given the lighting conditions of that shot would be able to tell that it is enough correct to the point where you can CLEARLY see that the color is on the wrong scale.

Jessica did confirm that she is looking for a desaturated cyan which is indeed according to renders, so there's no point in replying to me any longer. However, I just wish people would understand that the lack of information at the point when samples were posted made me raise concerns. In my head, the concerns were justified, it's way off, and when Jessica types out "I'm looking for a different blue", then of course I replied in order to ensure that it's an actual desaturated cyan this person is after, and after being lynched for raising justified concerns, I did in fact get an answer.

I'm sad it had to go that far to get information that should've been present without anyone voicing their concerns.

We can include ad hominem to the list of your logical fallacies. I tried to help and you called me names. Nice. Your "mathematical" comparison is a joke, when you have no idea of the white balancing on the shot. And no, I don't think that anyone can eyeball a shot and determine if something is accurate enough. Case and point: pictures of my Singa, in different light, neither are color accurate to what I see with my eyes. You tell me which is the accurate one.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #351 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 07:49:12 »
Post an update with imperfect color(s) acknowledging they need changed and people overreact.

Go silent waiting for samples and people overreact.

This is exactly why I didn't post the first batch of GMK Taro samples.

:rolleyes:

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #352 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 07:57:37 »
Speaking of assuming things, I should add in the most important thing here: freaking out over colors in images taken with (what was likely) a cell phone camera, on your monitor/screen that is most likely not calibrated for color is completely stupid.

We have absolutely no idea what those colors look like in real life and are probably doing worse than guessing. Unless you have a properly white-balanced shot and you are looking at it on a color calibrated screen, reserve judgement. THAT is why we put trust in the GB runner. They get to look at it and decide if it matches their vision of the project (and potentially the pantone colors they have on hand).

It doesn't really matter if your screen is calibrated or not. If the photo looks completely different in colors than the render (on the same screen) then there is an issue. What is otherwise the point in posting the photo if it is going to be so off?

For all I know, the renders could be off. Jessica might have a cool or hot screen (for example) and that could have affected the renders. All I know is that until you have a verified "chain" of color balancing and calibration, arguing about colors is a little silly and all of us are making large assumptions.

As for why she posted them, it was probably to let people know that things are progressing and that she is fixing color from the samples to match her vision of what they should look like. Not all designers do this. I remember the exact same thing happening when Mito showed the various samples for Laser. In the end, he got it right, but not due to anyone over-analyzing his quickly taken pictures of the samples.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 September 2018, 07:59:38 by razor_blade »

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #353 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 07:59:55 »
Post an update with imperfect color(s) acknowledging they need changed and people overreact.

Go silent waiting for samples and people overreact.

This is exactly why I didn't post the first batch of GMK Taro samples.

:rolleyes:

Yep. This guy gets it.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #354 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 08:03:14 »

It doesn't really matter if your screen is calibrated or not. If the photo looks completely different in colors than the render (on the same screen) then there is an issue. What is otherwise the point in posting the photo if it is going to be so off?

For all I know, the renders could be off. Jessica might have a cool or hot screen (for example) and that could have affected the renders. All I know is that until you have a verified "chain" of color balancing and calibration, arguing about colors is a little silly and all of us are making large assumptions.

As for why she posted them, it was probably to let people know that things are progressing and that she is fixing color samples to her design vision. Not all designers do this. I remember the exact same thing happening when Mito showed the various samples for Laser. In the end, he got it right, but not due to anyone over-analyzing his quickly taken pictures of the samples.
Can everyone calm the f*** down ? If this turns out differently than any of you imagined, you can always sell it later on and make money.

As for colours, I own two gmk sets and both look differently under different lighting conditions, though Plum is a tad more inconsistent than Yuri.

Wait until you have the finished  product on hand before you decide that the world has ended
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 September 2018, 08:04:46 by jihadu »

Offline smurkcity12

« Reply #355 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 08:50:07 »

We can include ad hominem to the list of your logical fallacies. I tried to help and you called me names. Nice. Your "mathematical" comparison is a joke, when you have no idea of the white balancing on the shot. And no, I don't think that anyone can eyeball a shot and determine if something is accurate enough. Case and point: pictures of my Singa, in different light, neither are color accurate to what I see with my eyes. You tell me which is the accurate one.

Sorry, I'm not heart to participate in the Necro color debate (GL with the rest of the GB though!), but I did have to stop and comment when I saw a picture of that singa. Regardless of what it looks like in person, could you send it to me please? PM me for my address  ;D

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #356 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 08:54:46 »
I'm just going to post this here:

The alphas in the top photo are the exact same color as the keycap in the bottom photo in real life, but according to the logic being thrown around in this thread, one is blue and one is purple. Renders also aren't subject to real-world lighting and camera sensor/lens variations, so you can't even make the argument that "I'm viewing them on the same monitor, so they should be the same!"

The fact of the matter is that we don't know what the samples Jessica posted actually look like unless the photo is taken with a decent camera, and with the intent of reproducing colors accurately. The only thing we can say for sure is that the sample in question is definitely not red.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #357 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 09:42:51 »
Uhm, so you mean GMK Plum was a success and the final product represented the renders? Literally what Jessica, in this thread just above in a few posts, admitted they ****ed up?

Well, I now understand why you reply the way you do.

You really are arguing just to argue at this point. She's cleared things up in terms of this GB already, and she has already stated what she needed to for Plum. If you don't have faith in her then you can easily request a refund or flip the set. And what does gender have anything to do with our hobby?

At this point you're just throwing a tantrum.

As a Swede (who happens to know that Emir is Swedish as we're in the same discord) it probably makes sense to explain that "he/she" is one of the the correct way to address someone if you don't want to assume gender in Sweden. We simply doesn't have any word for the singular "they" or "their".

So you're basically mistaking his politeness as a personal attack, which probably is the opposite of what he meant, hence him not understanding why you're making such a fuzz over it.

(EDIT: Sorry for continuing the off-topic:ness, btw. But I just couldn't just let it slide as I found it sad how the situation probably arose from a misunderstanding/language barrier issue.)

/rant about digital photography and reproduction

And in case you feel like trying to throw an appeal to authority or false premise into your argument, I AM in on the buy, so of course I care. I would suspect that most people in this thread are in on the buy. Why else waste time posting here?

I really told myself not to reply, but when people are this dense it's difficult to abstain.

"on your monitor/screen that is most likely not calibrated for color"
You literally don't need a monitor with color, or a monitor at all for that matter, to sample hex and see that the values are SO off that it's on a completely different color scale. What are you even typing? As I wrote about 10 times now it feels like, OF COURSE I have an understanding for camera shots not being accurate, I'm not stupid - but ANYONE given the lighting conditions of that shot would be able to tell that it is enough correct to the point where you can CLEARLY see that the color is on the wrong scale.

Jessica did confirm that she is looking for a desaturated cyan which is indeed according to renders, so there's no point in replying to me any longer. However, I just wish people would understand that the lack of information at the point when samples were posted made me raise concerns. In my head, the concerns were justified, it's way off, and when Jessica types out "I'm looking for a different blue", then of course I replied in order to ensure that it's an actual desaturated cyan this person is after, and after being lynched for raising justified concerns, I did in fact get an answer.

I'm sad it had to go that far to get information that should've been present without anyone voicing their concerns.

Come on now, why don't you just give up and let this die out? You don't even understand the point that I'm trying to get across - why is everyone so set on replying to me without even attempting to read and comprehend what I am actually writing and raising as concerns?

The point of my post was not to bash the specific color per say, claiming that it has the wrong shade or whatever - for this, the photo per say is completely irrelevant. What I reacted to was that Jessica wrote that this person is looking for a different BLUE - that's what I reacted about. She was clear that she is replacing the color, so why would I freak out over it? Did you ask yourself that?

This is not relevant at all, I am not judging the shade of the color - I am judging the whole color scale.

In your example, I can clearly tell that the Singa is the champagne gold one (I think it's called that, didn't follow the GB) and not the red, the blue or the orange one - that is very obvious regardless of the different lighting conditions. Now, is it obvious because it looks so to my eyes? Partially, but I can tell for sure by sampling hex values from both images and matching them to the other photos of singa (in this keyset, it would be the renders of necro) - by that I can clearly tell which color of the singa you got.

So again, I am not questioning the actual color shade, but the color being on a blue scale, and jessica writing that she's looking for another blue. In the render, the accent is not a blue, THAT is why I was concerned. With the lighting conditions provided in the sample, it is very clear that the lighting is good enough to make a safe assumption that it is in fact a baby blue, or blue at least - when it should be on the green scale in reality. Yes?

Is this clear to you now?

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:39:31 »
How to Stop Your Child's Whining
1. Refuse to let it bother you.
2. Make sure your child knows what "asking nicely" means.
3. Give praise where praise is due.
4. Hang in there.

Just ignore the lunatic.  He doesn't know how to let go.  :cool:

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 13:08:18 »
How to Stop Your Child's Whining
1. Refuse to let it bother you.
2. Make sure your child knows what "asking nicely" means.
3. Give praise where praise is due.
4. Hang in there.

Just ignore the lunatic.  He doesn't know how to let go.  :cool:

I like how you didn't take sides in your post  :p  Very adeptly done!  :cool:

Offline titanium

« Reply #360 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 15:18:35 »
GB organizer tries to be transparent/give status updates and gets a mosquito trying to suck the life out of her lol.

Hope this doesnt encourage silence as the majority of us do appreciate the communication.

Offline johuu

« Reply #361 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 02:03:18 »
GB organizer tries to be transparent/give status updates and gets a mosquito trying to suck the life out of her lol.

Hope this doesnt encourage silence as the majority of us do appreciate the communication.

This!  :thumb:

Offline Arioch

« Reply #362 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 10:33:29 »
Give it a rest already.
All this drama isn't worth the time and effort.

Let's get back on topic please! Let's all focus on the good stuff: GMK NECRO KEYCAPS y'all!

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #363 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 21:08:21 »
Are the artisans still happening? Or was the raffle already run?

Artisans are still happening yah!

I don't know if the raffle happened yet, but I think it did.

I got an email from Originative, they have NOT done the raffle yet (crossing my finger). P.s. you and this set are amazing. So is everyone else here.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #364 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 20:29:58 »
Oof. That green looks so good. All the drama aside, the green was what I was most "worried" about. If it turns out as good as it looks, I'm going to be pretty damn happy.

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 00:58:05 »
Oof. That green looks so good. All the drama aside, the green was what I was most "worried" about. If it turns out as good as it looks, I'm going to be pretty damn happy.

The green was bizarrely easy to get right, believe it or not. Greens aren't too vulnerable to changes in lighting either, so it should look good in most situations

Offline Nzo

• wish I was back in CA
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 11:49:34 »
Is there a new estimated shipping date?

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 17:24:47 »
[...]

[/quote]

The above shot looks pretty accurate, or at least a lot more than the one on the bottom (that is taken at sunset ?).

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 00:44:05 »
damb jess. love 2 argue abt your ability to pick colours.  >:D

looking forward to it when it's done. whatever it is cause i know you'll pick something good

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 11:58:35 »
Wish I would have got in on the GB price. The colors look great to me!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 12:33:57 »
Drama aside, hope this set is successful and Jess decides on an appropriate color.  :thumb:

Offline jessica

« Reply #371 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:28:40 »
Drama aside, hope this set is successful and Jess decides on an appropriate color.  :thumb:

Thank you :)

To give a little update, I wandered around 3 craft stores for about 4 hours last week to find something physical to send to GMK that was the right colour.
I just shipped it off yesterday, and hopefully I should have samples for it soon.

PS it's my birthday on the 2nd, buy yourself a set of Necro as a gift to me ;)

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #372 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:37:25 »

To give a little update, I wandered around 3 craft stores for about 4 hours last week to find something physical to send to GMK that was the right colour.
I just shipped it off yesterday, and hopefully I should have samples for it soon.

wait is the set still for sale?? I thought it was sold out until it ships! I might have to buy in assuming funds allow

Offline jessica

« Reply #373 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:40:37 »

wait is the set still for sale?? I thought it was sold out until it ships! I might have to buy in assuming funds allow

https://www.originativeco.com/products/necro Still available to buy, as far as I'm aware :) You do miss out on GB pricing unfortunately, but it is still available

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #374 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 17:15:33 »
Is there any way I can order just the spacebar kit?
I already ordered from zFrontier, but those only included the base kit and novelties.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #375 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 03:05:19 »

Did you take a pic of the "thing you sent them" ? I wanna seeeee :P

Offline Nzo

• wish I was back in CA
« Reply #376 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 12:10:28 »

Did you take a pic of the "thing you sent them" ? I wanna seeeee :P

Yeah that's a bad idea... have you not seen the last two pages? lol

Offline Morbus

• a real dude
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 14:31:38 »
Heya I'm new here so sorry if this has already been asked but I've been thinking of picking up a set so I'm just wondering when it's expected to ship out to customers? especially to EU/Scandinavia.
Originative says mid December but I couldn't find any finished prototype sets or confirmation of this (again sorry if I just missed it I am a bit lost here) is it referring to when they get it shipped to them?

thanks in advance!
dm me ur top 42 topster charts
consider adding norde support to ur sets
   dont be dumb as hell

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #378 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 23:33:52 »
Spoiler:

KMK Labs
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2018, 23:37:28 by Kerasan »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #379 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 07:10:36 »
Spoiler:
Show Image

KMK Labs

I wonder if this means that production has started. I tried messaging GMK as a response to the story, but not no reply.

mykeyboard.eu projects the estimated shipping to be mid November, while Originative projects December. I wonder what a realistic time frame would be at this time. Last we know is that Jessica is waiting for another round of samples for the accents, after sending a piece to GMK as reference?

Offline jessica

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 15:47:29 »
Spoiler:
Show Image

KMK Labs

I wonder if this means that production has started. I tried messaging GMK as a response to the story, but not no reply.

mykeyboard.eu projects the estimated shipping to be mid November, while Originative projects December. I wonder what a realistic time frame would be at this time. Last we know is that Jessica is waiting for another round of samples for the accents, after sending a piece to GMK as reference?

Huh, I honestly thought I had updated you all here. My bad.

So I did get the final colours, production has started. I don't know the exacts but the latest update I have from GMK is "The production is planned to end on Oct 25", and then the usual probably 2-3 weeks for transit from Germany to US, then distro through Oco. So hopefully should be in everyone's hands by end of next month?? :D

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #381 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 02:14:50 »
Wow, awesome news! Here's to hoping that mykeyboard.eu gets them straight from GMK and can ship even earlier to the Europeans. :O Excited!

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #382 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 08:42:52 »
Spoiler:
Show Image

KMK Labs

So I did get the final colours, production has started. I don't know the exacts but the latest update I have from GMK is "The production is planned to end on Oct 25", and then the usual probably 2-3 weeks for transit from Germany to US, then distro through Oco. So hopefully should be in everyone's hands by end of next month?? :D

OMG OMG OMG sooo excited

Offline johuu

« Reply #383 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 11:05:54 »
Spoiler:
Show Image

KMK Labs

Great news!

One question: Will the EU orders ship from oco or directly from mykeyboard.eu?

Offline Arioch

« Reply #384 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 13:18:55 »
Would've been great to have them for halloween but can't complain though. Just eager. :-X

Offline jessica

« Reply #385 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 16:36:57 »
Spoiler:
Show Image

KMK Labs

Great news!

One question: Will the EU orders ship from oco or directly from mykeyboard.eu?

I can't say with certainty but I believe GMK will be shipping sets directly to Oco, MyKB.eu and to zF instead of all going to Cali then back to Europe and Asia

Offline jessica

« Reply #386 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 16:40:57 »
Would've been great to have them for halloween but can't complain though. Just eager. :-X

Silver lining, I think they should be beginning their journey from GMK to distributers on Halloween haha

Offline jessica

« Reply #387 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 12:54:33 »
Oh here is the packaging :)

Original artwork by BroCaps, and the packaging and all further promotional artwork done by Bunnylake!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #388 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 13:39:21 »
Now *that* is a seriously cool box!

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #389 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 13:43:31 »

Show Image

Original artwork by BroCaps, and the packaging and all further promotional artwork done by Bunnylake!

Excitement intensifies...

Offline Starius

« Reply #390 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 13:55:52 »

Show Image

That artwork would make a damn cool desk mat, you know.... ;)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 04:20:41 »

Show Image

Wow, love it! Mousemats when? :D

Offline Sissy

« Reply #392 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 04:23:01 »

Show Image

would be a sweet deskmat.

Offline jessica

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 14:33:26 »
Uhhh... if people are interested in desk mats.. I have literally no idea who to talk to about that one.

Any suggestions? I know Godspeed, Serika, etc have had deskmats done by someone in the community I think who has done a great job, if anyone knows who that is, and I'd be more than happy to reach out to them and look into it!!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #394 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 15:21:48 »
Uhhh... if people are interested in desk mats.. I have literally no idea who to talk to about that one.

Any suggestions? I know Godspeed, Serika, etc have had deskmats done by someone in the community I think who has done a great job, if anyone knows who that is, and I'd be more than happy to reach out to them and look into it!!

That actually would be me! I can’t take credit for all the designs, but I’ve done quite a few.

If you want to get deskpads going - shoot me an email - mike@novelkeys.xyz.

Offline Starius

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 17:49:45 »

That actually would be me! I can’t take credit for all the designs, but I’ve done quite a few.

If you want to get deskpads going - shoot me an email - mike@novelkeys.xyz.

He's definitely the guy you want to talk to about custom desk mats! :D

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 22:02:29 »

Show Image

would be a sweet deskmat.
I would get one

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 23:19:24 »
id probably go for a deskmat if based off this sick cover art

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #398 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 02:45:02 »
Thirty buckaroos for a mat and they'll sell like hot cakes!

Offline jessica

« Reply #399 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:36:26 »
Currently working on it.. I'll keep everyone posted