Author Topic: [IC]60% Development Plan  (Read 1807 times)

Offline SR

[IC]60% Development Plan
« on: Fri, 29 March 2024, 07:25:52 »
B.LAB—B.Less60
BY:SR

Index
- Inspiration
- Design ideas
- Basic parameter specifications of the kit
- Kit Color Matching

Inspiration

307013-0
307015-1
307017-2

Hello everyone, this is B LAB, we are a customized team from China. I am SR, originally working in the construction industry and accidentally entered the circle of customized keyboards. I have been continuously following the dynamics of this circle, and now, by chance, I have designed the first keyboard. Having been deeply influenced by Bauhaus's works in architectural design for many years, I wanted to follow Bauhaus's design philosophy, extract the core elements of his design, and then assign them to this keyboard. The kit is named B Less, where B represents Bauhaus, and less is because another master of architecture, Miesfandro, said "Less is More". Design is not just about stacking, but should focus more on invisible areas.

Design ideas
307019-3

Why did the first kit choose a 60% configuration instead of the 75%, 80%, or even larger configuration that most people prefer?
Firstly, because it was my first time entering the customization circle, I chose 60%. The BASE area would be smaller, making the range of the mouse on my right hand larger and more suitable for my long-term office needs. Secondly, 60% of the layout of the columns is symmetrical, and the beauty generated by the ultimate symmetrical relationship will also be relatively more recognized by most people. Players who have used CAD should have a better understanding of the charm of the "mirror" command after "line" (of course, even for F8, I can quickly perform FN+8 operations).

307011-4
307021-5
307023-6
307025-7

The idea of a three part separated keyboard is to eliminate unnecessary decorations by focusing on simple functionality in Bauhaus design philosophy. This is also different from the traditional color separation of the upper and lower covers of the kit. At the same time, the color matching generated by the three-stage separation of B.less60 can also meet more personalized key cap matching needs. It can also be switched between the WK, WKL, and HHKB layouts by replacing the lower cover.

307027-8

We have also communicated with the manufacturer - it is very difficult to maintain consistency in the lines on the side composed of three components. We are already making samples to verify the feasibility and striving to do the best we can.

307029-9

Considering the Bauhaus design philosophy that "design should prioritize meeting needs", a light slot has been added on the front of the kit. For me, capitalization lights are an essential function in the use of the keyboard.

307031-10

The appearance of the front, side, and back counterweights of the kit adopts an extremely restrained approach, controlling the number of lines and structural surfaces as much as possible. The chamfer on the keyboard edge is adjusted from a large rounded corner to a small one, to achieve a feeling of no cutting hands.

307033-11

In order to provide more solid feedback on keyboard typing, we try to adjust the area of the copper plate as much as possible to almost occupy the entire internal space of the keyboard.

307039-12

To prevent acid reaction on screw holes during the production process, cut through treatment is performed on the screw holes of the bolts.

307041-13

Basic parameter specifications of the kit
•   Layout: 60%(WK、WKL、HHKB)
•   Material: Aluminum
•   Default Plate: PC、FR4、AL
•   Connection: Single/Tri-mode (Wired, Bluetooth, 2.4G)
•   Structure: GAS/TOP
•   Driver: Supporting VIA
•   PCB Thickness: 1.2mm/1.6mm
•   Surface Treatment: Electrophoresis/Stainless Steel PVD/Anodized/Coating

[307043-14

The design scheme with a copper bottom exposed on the back is also different from the complete back of traditional OG kits. After discussion within the team, two back proposals have emerged. Figure 1 shows the complete back and the colors exposed by the copper match, presenting a simple style and minimalist lines. Compared to Figure 2, it provides more structural support and redirects the player's gaze through two protrusions to the exposed copper base. I would be more inclined towards the design direction of Figure 1.More messages will be broadcasted in the GB post in the future,also Welcome everyone to leave your valuable opinions and suggestions

307052-15
307054-16

If you are interested, you can join our Discord community
https://discord.gg/uWQUBRfgBK
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2024, 20:55:16 by SR »

Offline APKing

Re: [IC]60% Development Plan
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 March 2024, 10:11:44 »
It's quite funny,waiting for GB.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2024, 11:08:51 by APKing »