Author Topic: DSA PBT w/ Cyrillic  (Read 2731 times)

Offline tbc

DSA PBT w/ Cyrillic
« on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 02:50:59 »
looking for a DSA set with cyrillic*.  does it exist?

*i mean russian alphabet if i got the spelling wrong.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: DSA PBT w/ Cyrillic
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 06:45:51 »
I don't think such a thing exists. Does SP even do dye-subbing on DSA?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:08:24 »

I don't believe they do. I've only seen blanks.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:12:55 »

or double shots

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:19:58 »

or double shots

PBT blanks, that is. All the double shots we've seen are ABS I think. (Though I've heard they're working on double shot PBT?)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:24:52 »

or double shots

PBT blanks, that is. All the double shots we've seen are ABS I think. (Though I've heard they're working on double shot PBT?)

11. Can I order Double Shot PBT keycaps?

Molding double shot PBT keycaps presents challenges that are not typically found in molding double shot ABS keys. We are continuing to work on these issues. However, we do offer a limited number of PBT double shot keycaps that can be found on our Marketplace tab.

Yeah I think they are working on it, maybe.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:35:32 »
SP is working on dye-subbing DSA PBT for the LCARS GB:

Sounds like waiting is the general consensus, and I've come around to this view myself. I have contacted Massdrop and I'll look forward to hearing whether they'll be content waiting along with us for the SP tooling updates. I'll post here when I have a reply.

SP is also sending me samples of the two dyesublimation printing methods (in-house vs screenprint), and I'll pose hi-res images here when they arrive. While we're waiting on the DSA tooling updates, we might as well proceed in nailing down the other final manufacturing details and finalizing the mock-ups with the new PBT colors the Pantone addition (which I'll work on soon).

Thanks everybody! More soon.

Valid opinions all.

I for one favor sticking to the ideas for this set that originally grew out of our discussions in this thread though, rather than switching things up just because it would mean moving to the ordering phase sooner. I feel like this should be a project of passion about doing something unusual that is as faithful as possible to the TNG aesthetic, without making any compromises. This what fan-run, enthusiast projects are all about, and what makes them special. We as a community can be more patient than a commercial enterprise, because we don't have any particular quarterly bottom lines to meet, and all the labor is free. :)

It seems like the important things for staying faithful to the vision are: crisply rendered SWISS 911 legends, flat rounded-rectangles in the LCARS style as much as possible (i.e., DSA), and accurate colors. I'm going to keep working with SP to nail down final engineering details towards that end. I truly think you guys are going to like what they are working on for us. (I'll have photo samples soon to show you exactly what I mean.)

As soon as I have updated mock-ups, price tiers, and a more precise timeline from them I'll of course post here. It may take a few weeks, but I think they're proving to be weeks well spent. After all the back-and-forth previously, I'm a little reticent to prepare and post mock-ups again until SP can promise me that they'll be something they can actually make. ;)

SP is literally working hand-in-hand with us to bring their tooling into place faster than originally planned to accomodate DSA dyesub—just to enable a GH GB. This is a cool thing. :)

However the ETA until SP finishing their testing/tooling is unknown. SoonTM.

On a semi related side note, weren't the Cyrillic caps that Cherry made, double shots caps then pad printed? So the latin alphabet (a,b,c, etc) are doubleshot and then the Cyrllic characters (Russian language letters) are pad printed.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:40:05 »
On a semi related side note, weren't the Cyrillic caps that Cherry made, double shots caps then pad printed? So the latin alphabet (a,b,c, etc) are doubleshot and then the Cyrllic characters (Russian language letters) are pad printed.

I know that Dubs' G80-5000HAMRB was doubleshot with pad printed Cyrillic.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:34:33 »
I had a few DSA someone gave me with something else... they all were in Cyrillic. I guess they came from a crapbag, so SP has done them at some point for someone.

Offline tbc

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 01:33:39 »
i was talking about no-english legends (i can touchtype fine), but has anyone done doubleshot BOTH languages before?  any profile.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 11:02:35 »
I have seen doubleshots Russian only on some old Soviet era stuffs... but finding some that will be compatible for use on MX might be a real chore.
I too have been wanting a set in Russian only for awhile... I will probably try it on next dyesubs buy. I was also thinking to do some other kind of typeface for something fresh... no Cherry.