Author Topic: GMK Space Cadet 2 true cadet - wrong spacebars received?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Special K

GMK Space Cadet 2 true cadet - wrong spacebars received?
« on: Sun, 14 August 2022, 15:26:52 »
I just now got around to using my GMK Space Cadet II sets and noticed something odd about the spacebars that came with the True Cadet set. According to the official product listing, the True Cadet spacebars should be R5 (image taken from official product page here: https://novelkeys.com/products/gmk-space-cadet-ii):

Yet the spacebars I received with my True Cadet kit seem to have an identical profile to a standard R4 space bar.

Here are the True Cadet R5 spacebars compared to a spacebar from the base set:

Here is a True Cadet R5 spacebar compared to R5 ALT, CTRL, and SUPER keys from the True Cadet set:

Finally, here is a True Cadet R5 spacebar compared to a spacebar from the Blue Cadet set:

The pictures aren't perfect but it seems to me that the spacebars I received with the True Cadet set are regular R4 spacebars and not R5. Am I misunderstanding the set diagram above? Are the spacebars in the True Cadet set supposed to have the same profile as regular R4 spacebars even though they are listed as being in the R5 row?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Applet

Re: GMK Space Cadet 2 true cadet - wrong spacebars received?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 August 2022, 08:51:16 »
All spacebars from GMK/Cherry share the same profile, it's a specific spacebar-profile (you don't want it to be R5, it would be really uncomfortable)

Offline crashvhs

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 09:00:20 »
All spacebars from GMK have the same exact profile which is Spacebar. It's specific to the spacebar key only so a bottom R4 and R5 will be different.

Offline Special K

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 11:02:56 »
It's specific to the spacebar key only so a bottom R4 and R5 will be different.

You mean a bottom R4 row and a bottom R5 row will be different from each other except for the spacebar, correct?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 11:41:06 »
It's specific to the spacebar key only so a bottom R4 and R5 will be different.

You mean a bottom R4 row and a bottom R5 row will be different from each other except for the spacebar, correct?

Yes, all gmk spacebars are the same profile. They probably should have labelled better as in something like a spacebar kit, its labelled as SB profifle