Author Topic: Model M Bolt-Mod actuation problem...  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Model M Bolt-Mod actuation problem...
« on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:44:05 »
Been doing another Bolt mod lately on a ISO DE 1988 Model M...

Tightened everything down really good like usual, but now I have the problem of a few select keys actuating BELOW the actual buckling of the spring (tactile bump/click). Meaning actuation on bottoming out. Sometimes the specific key also registers twice on one press...

That's quite annoying because it affects keys like "." and "e". Two of the most used characters...

It works just fine as long as I really press down on the key with force, but that kinda defeats the purpose..

Been playing around with the tightness of the nuts but nothing changes, and if at all, very minimal.

Never had this before. All is clean and there is no damage anywhere except a hair crack on the barrel plate, however the "broken" keys are all over the Keyboard, not centred around a specific area.  Few examples are "6,7,e,." So "w" is complete fine, and "e" will be dodgy. They don't feel any different either.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:48:11 by Olumin »

Offline the-slunk

Re: Model M Bolt-Mod actuation problem...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 09:12:38 »
This happened to me during bolt modding, specifically to the top left of the keyboard. How are you tightening the bolts? I decided to remove all the nuts, made sure the black membrane mat was clear of all and any debris, and then rebolt everything.

I started in the center to make sure everything is holding at an even pressure. Basically I did it in a }----{ pattern starting in the center and making my way out to the corners. I tightened the bolts just enough to hold/bend everything into position and then went over it actually tightening the bolts down. Basically attempting to follow a tightening sequence to make it as uniform as possible.

Also, I tightened the bolts less the first time around, and went back over them all one last time to check if any needed extra tightening since the pressure will change on each one as everything bends into place.

Bolt modding is tedious AF in general, so I just decided to take the extra time to do it thoroughly as possible rather than having to re-do certain areas.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Olumin

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 09:31:47 »
This happened to me during bolt modding, specifically to the top left of the keyboard. How are you tightening the bolts? I decided to remove all the nuts, made sure the black membrane mat was clear of all and any debris, and then rebolt everything.

I started in the center to make sure everything is holding at an even pressure. Basically I did it in a }----{ pattern starting in the center and making my way out to the corners. I tightened the bolts just enough to hold/bend everything into position and then went over it actually tightening the bolts down. Basically attempting to follow a tightening sequence to make it as uniform as possible.

Also, I tightened the bolts less the first time around, and went back over them all one last time to check if any needed extra tightening since the pressure will change on each one as everything bends into place.

Bolt modding is tedious AF in general, so I just decided to take the extra time to do it thoroughly as possible rather than having to re-do certain areas.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I tighten the corners first to holt everything together. Then I usually tighten the rest from one end to another. First just hand tight, then again going over it and tighten it all the way up..

I already took it apart again the first time because 2 of the switches just refused to work. Stretched Springs...

Now everything works, but now I have this problem.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 16:47:42 »
I also always recommend working outwards from the center (in a spiral, perhaps?) and NOT tightening the screws any more than necessary.

For me, about half a turn less than "finger tight" seems about right (holding the socket itself in my fingers, no ratchet handle).
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 18:03:41 »
I had some problems when I assembled mine way back because the blanket got a bit ruffled when everything started getting pressed together. Those ripples might prevent the flippers from making full contact, then requiring some bottom-out to push through to press the membranes together?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Olumin

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 18:28:13 »
I had some problems when I assembled mine way back because the blanket got a bit ruffled when everything started getting pressed together. Those ripples might prevent the flippers from making full contact, then requiring some bottom-out to push through to press the membranes together?

Oh boy..

That might be it yes...

Im gonna have to take it apart again tomorrow...