Author Topic: Writing Pens?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Jixr

Writing Pens?
« on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 22:17:22 »
Hi everyone, so i've been thinking about how I've spent so much on keyboards and how it can seem silly to some people, I've been looking at more and more things that may seem silly to me, but may actually be worth their investment.

Over the last two years or so, I've developed a love for writing, which I do all electronically.

But recentlyI've been looking at buying a nice writing pen, and have been thinking about spending a good bit of money on one.

I work in architecture, so not having a pencil on you at all times is a sin, so I bought myself a rotring 600 pencil, which I absolutely love. There is a ballpoint pen version that was made in the 80s-90s but they run around $150 on ebay, and the newer version just isnt the same, the build quality isn't as nice and for a $30 pen, I think its kinda crappy.

But I've been thinking about trying to chase one of those old pens down, or perhaps buy a fountain pen. My issue with them is how thick the bodies of them are, and I love the sharp edges of the rotring 600 and its heavy weight, but fountain pens are all kinda fat and around.

Anyone have any ideas for a starter fountain pen, or ideas on just sucking it up and buy a really really really expensive ballpoint like the rotring I want?

Semi-on-topic. What are you guys opinions on writing books like moleskins vs regular spiral notebooks?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Writing Pens?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 22:46:25 »
Well, if you're looking for a really cheap fountain pen just to try it out I'd recommend a Pilot Varsity. Available at most office stores and somewhere in the area of $7-8 for 4 pens. You could also browse the handwriting and fountain pen thread
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 22:50:22 »
Pilot Metropolitan is a good starting FP (~$15.)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 07:48:09 »
I have a Ti2 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikebond/ti2-pen) which I absolutely love. He sells them through his own store, and massdrop has had them on more than 1 occasion as well.
Planck w/ Zealios