Author Topic: CAD Services?  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
CAD Services?
« on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:11:49 »
I've seen a lot of group buys and custom cutting services, but these all rely on having a drawing file to send to the vendor.  Is anyone doing custom drafting work as a service?  I'm looking to have a case design created, but my efforts to draw it in any of the free programs have been pretty abysmal. 

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: CAD Services?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:19:38 »
There was a thread looking for CAD services a couple of weeks back. There are a few people here (I forget who) who have the skills to do what you need. Post a "WTB" thread or if you're lucky they will post here :)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:20:46 »
There was a thread looking for CAD services a couple of weeks back. There are a few people here (I forget who) who have the skills to do what you need. Post a "WTB" thread or if you're lucky they will post here :)

Thanks, Tym!

I wasn't sure I was in the right forum, to be honest, as it's more of a "someone else to make stuff for me" type of request.   ;D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:22:27 »
Photekq and maybe TheFlyingRaccoon can help you out. I can check drawings if you create drawings.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:26:18 »
Photekq and maybe TheFlyingRaccoon can help you out. I can check drawings if you create drawings.

I appreciate the leads, thanks!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:26:46 »
If Photekq offers his services please don't be to hard on him.  He offered his service to me for free but I still payed him for his time as he told me that my project was the most tedious and boring thing he has ever done on a computer.  But he does do amazing work.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:33:37 »
If Photekq offers his services please don't be to hard on him.  He offered his service to me for free but I still payed him for his time as he told me that my project was the most tedious and boring thing he has ever done on a computer.  But he does do amazing work.

I sent him a PM, and I fully agree about his work quality.  I've seen several of the designs he's posted here, completely awe-inspiring!  And inspirational as well, he's one of the primary reasons I'm contemplating this project.   ;)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:40:21 »

I sent him a PM, and I fully agree about his work quality.  I've seen several of the designs he's posted here, completely awe-inspiring!  And inspirational as well, he's one of the primary reasons I'm contemplating this project.   ;)

Agreed.  Just please don't beat him up to hard.  I may have scared him a way for a bit though.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline wcass

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 20:09:53 »
if you are doing 2D work, you might download a demo version of DeltaCAD. it is by far the easiest CAD software i have used. it will import/export DWG and DXF. it handles line weights differently than Autodesk does, but that's not a factor for laser cutting.
http://deltacad.com

Offline divito

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 09:39:57 »
Instead of painting or putting vinyl over my Das case, I'm looking to replace the top casing with acrylic, so I'm basically just doing a 2D recreation of the top casing. Not sure how I'm going to secure it just yet, but still going through ideas.

Local laser cutting place says it'd be about $140 to CAD it up and produce it ($60 if I design it myself). Does that seem in line with anyone's experience? Does anyone have ideas on what I could do to have it be re-screwed into the bottom housing? Is there anyone who has a Das that wouldn't mind helping create the CAD? Downloading some software now, just don't know how it'll turn out.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 12:23:02 »
1) Local laser cutting place says it'd be about $140 to CAD it up and produce it ($60 if I design it myself). Does that seem in line with anyone's experience?
2) Does anyone have ideas on what I could do to have it be re-screwed into the bottom housing?
3) Is there anyone who has a Das that wouldn't mind helping create the CAD?

1) I think $60 seems about right for a one-off top half of a case.
2) If the DAS stock case is snap fit, there won't be a lot of thickness to fit area for female threaded screw holes.You might have to do both halves in order to get a custom case.
3) I don't have a Das and I don't do CAD work. If you want to talk this over at all that's cool but I won't model/make drawings.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 12:34:35 »
1) Local laser cutting place says it'd be about $140 to CAD it up and produce it ($60 if I design it myself). Does that seem in line with anyone's experience?
2) Does anyone have ideas on what I could do to have it be re-screwed into the bottom housing?
3) Is there anyone who has a Das that wouldn't mind helping create the CAD?

1) I think $60 seems about right for a one-off top half of a case.
2) If the DAS stock case is snap fit, there won't be a lot of thickness to fit area for female threaded screw holes.You might have to do both halves in order to get a custom case.
3) I don't have a Das and I don't do CAD work. If you want to talk this over at all that's cool but I won't model/make drawings.

Waaah? I thought that you drafted for a living?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 12:35:23 »
Trust me Thimplum you don't want to pay his hourly wage.  I am on the other side of the prints as him and i make almost $27 on straight time.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 12:37:51 »

I don't want to do what I do for a living in my spare time. And like Melvang said, I could charge what my company thinks I'm worth and no one would ever come to me for help.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:32:06 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:07:43 »

I don't want to do what I do for a living in my spare time. And like Melvang said, I could charge when my company thinks I'm worth and no one would ever come to me for help.

If I could afford it I would CPT.  On the fact that if the company pays you that much then thats at LEAST what your time is worth.  And if you want it done right the first time you are going to pay for it.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:16:56 »
In all fairness, I think charging for services depends on the situation.  I'm a pretty good carpenter, and able to tackle everything from interior design and layout through framing, rough-in electric, plumbing, insulation (including specialized sound-baffling for home theaters), sheetrock and trim.  Installed a bar and a few cabinets as well.  But if a friend needs a hand, and I have time, I help out as much as possible. 

The key difference is that I no longer do contracting for a living.  If I did, and side jobs became like a busman's holiday, I probably would steer clear of them as much as possible.

;D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:49:22 »
I'm not saying I don't want to help. I'm just saying I work a lot of hours and the prospect of coming home and doing exactly what I just did for 10-12 hours isn't appealing. I picked up a project where I was going to model for someone and it literally just sat on my To-Do list for a month before I realized I had no motivation to 3D model at home.

I've helped out on projects before and the only payment I've ever gotten was a set of The_Beast's switch tools. You can ask The_Beast, TheFlyingRaccoon, Photekq, and Melvang if I did a good or poor job. I don't charge to help.

That being said, advice/opinions/quick checks on CAD models and reviewing of drawings is free and I'm willing to do that anytime.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:55:48 »
I'm not saying I don't want to help. I'm just saying I work a lot of hours and the prospect of coming home and doing exactly what I just did for 10-12 hours isn't appealing. I picked up a project where I was going to model for someone and it literally just sat on my To-Do list for a month before I realized I had no motivation to 3D model at home.

I've helped out on projects before and the only payment I've ever gotten was a set of The_Beast's switch tools. You can ask The_Beast, TheFlyingRaccoon, Photekq, and Melvang if I did a good or poor job. I don't charge to help.

That being said, advice/opinions/quick checks on CAD models and reviewing of drawings is free and I'm willing to do that anytime.

I can and will vouch for you CPT.  Never steered me wrong yet.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:12:01 »

I don't want to do what I do for a living in my spare time. And like Melvang said, I could charge what my company thinks I'm worth and no one would ever come to me for help.

I could charge what MY company think I'm worth for PCB design, and people would be all over it!

At least, until they found out why my company thinks that I'm worth that much...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:14:16 »

^^ I can totally relate,  I get enough computer time at work I hardly ever touch a computer at home.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:16:07 »

^^ I can totally relate,  I get enough computer time at work I hardly ever touch a computer at home.

How so with 21 posts per day??

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:16:49 »

I was about to ask the same thing...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:22:29 »

Am I not posting while being on the computer?? :o

Let me clairfy....if its between 6pm-6am CST I'm more than likely posting from my phone otherwise I'm at work.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:25:14 »

Let me clairfy....if its between 6pm-6am CST I'm more than likely posting from my phone otherwise I'm at work.

A phone is still a computer. Just a subpar one.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:25:52 »

I wouldn't say sub par just much smaller.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:36:25 »

Technically true but the phone is a whole different experience and usage scenario. I don't post near as much from my phone, I browse a lot more.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:37:15 »

Technically true but the phone is a whole different experience and usage scenario. I don't post near as much from my phone, I browse a lot more.

Alright I will give you that one