Author Topic: Cherry G80-3000 mx-clear full size keyboard review  (Read 5963 times)

Offline gh_pp

Cherry G80-3000 mx-clear full size keyboard review
« on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:15:52 »
Bought two brand new CHERRY G80-3000 with mx clear. ($699+$20 hkd each)

Normally I would not consider buying fullsize boards since I love having the mouse closer, but since it’s pain in the neck to find TKL with clears (hunting in classified for Korean custom or phantom, or wait another 10 months to grab a code keyboard), I concede and get the G80-3000 just to try out the clear switches.

Another thing that draws me is the ease (so I was told) of opening up the switch to lube (and replace spring aka ergo-clear).

The G80-3000 is very light and doesn’t feel as solid (weight) as Model M or QFR. But once you have it sit properly on the table it doesn’t move around much, thanks to the four rubber feet (including the flip out ones).

I couldn’t decide whether to get the black or the white case, so I get both (I love the black case but prefer white keycaps).

Turns out they are quite different.

First a comparison of white thin PBT (top), thick black POM(bottom left) and vortex thick PBT (bottom right).

The vortex thick PBT feel more substantial than the stock QFR when I first replaced the keycaps.

The thick black POM, however, doesn’t give that impression when compared to the thin white PBT. They both feel pretty light but solid (no wobbling).

I definitely prefer the nip on the white PBT F&J keys than the scoop on the black POM since that’s what I’m used to.

The legend on the keycaps are absolutely beautiful though. Too bad these are not thick DS or PBT dyesub, but they are still 200% nicer than most stock keycaps.

This is the first time I try the mx-clear, and I was expecting the bump to be a lot more prominent than mx-brown, but it isn’t.

mx-clear feels a lot like mx-black to me than mx-brown. The weight is between brown and black but closer to black.

I did 50 runs on typeracer with 5-8 wpm improvement over mx-brown. It’s less prone to accidental key presses.

I have to agree that you don’t bottom out as much because of the heavier spring, and thus it’s quieter than mx-brown when I tried to type at full speed.

Overall I enjoy it but my original expectation is different (I expect a more tactile feedback).

Although it should be easier to mod with ergo-clear compared to other keyboards, I still dread doing that (seems like a lot of work and I don’t have that patience). But ergo-clear is definitely the last mx switch that I need to try before concluding which switch is best for me.

This keyboard is as big as the model M, and I just retire my model-M because of its size. Will definitely pick up a TKL with clear when CM gets around to produce the QFR version or maybe I’ll get the code keyboard.

For now, I eagerly await my Handarbeit keycaps so I can make my black G80-3000 to look like this

http://imgur.com/a/fQUYx
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2013, 22:04:33 by gh_pp »
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: G80-3000 mx clear review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:17:24 »
Where did you find these??

Also nice write up.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:29:12 »

Also nice write up.

Thanks

I'm traveling in Asia just happens to pick these up. Luckily they don't add much weight to my luggage.

Also found ducky dye-sublimated pbt keyboard for $115 (blue, black, brown) & $130 (red). If they have mx-clear version I would have get that instead because of the thick dyesub keycaps.

Next stop to Japan I might pick up a HHKB if it's cheap enough although I absolutely despise the layout, just for the sake of trying it out to compare (to my realforce) which cloud of boobs is better.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:35:27 by gh_pp »

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 02:48:36 »

Also nice write up.

Thanks

I'm traveling in Asia just happens to pick these up. Luckily they don't add much weight to my luggage.

Also found ducky dye-sublimated pbt keyboard for $115 (blue, black, brown) & $130 (red). If they have mx-clear version I would have get that instead because of the thick dyesub keycaps.

Next stop to Japan I might pick up a HHKB if it's cheap enough although I absolutely despise the layout, just for the sake of trying it out to compare (to my realforce) which cloud of boobs is better.

You should definitely buy a hhkb.

After that you won't need any other keyboard

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline gh_pp

Re: Cherry G80-3000 mx-clear full size keyboard review
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:49:36 »
I already tried HHKB today at the shop.

It's slightly different than the realforce. The biggest advantage is the footprint which leaves a lot of space on your table.

I think I'll enjoy it for typing test/games like typeracer of typing of the dead, but it will be extremely unproductive to use it for my work related stuff.

I am already handicapped when using a macbook air keyboard (missing dedicated page up/down, home, end, insert/del keys), to remove the arrow keys and move a few keys around will be a deal break for work.

The HHKB will suit someone who only uses bash or vim exclusively, but sadly I'm not one of those people.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:51:14 by gh_pp »